Where/how to mount lincense plate on camper (WA)

howb14

For those people from states (like Washington) where it's required to license the camper separately, where/how have you been mounting the license plate? I recently purchased an ATC Bobcat, and since the previous owner was from Wisconsin, they didn't have to worry about this issue. Being new to this, I wanted to see what more experienced people have done before I start drilling holes.

How did you secure the plate? Did you just drill into the camper?

Short self tapping sheet metal screws driven in through a dab of silicon seal.

I've never displayed mine. I just put it in my middle seat storage compartment of my truck. I do pay for the tabs every year

I have a question about titles for our campers. I bought a camper about a year ago and took my bill of sale in to pay my taxes and purchase a plate. This is in WA. They said I needed to get a title first then come in. They did not accept the four digit vin number that's on the camper. I asked the previous owner and they never had a title. It did not come with a title being purchased in Oregon originally in 2014.
Guess my question is, how do I go about getting a title? I called Wyoming to possibly get a title because I have an address there and they don't require them.
I talked with others about this and said don't bother to get one.

Thank you for your responses,
Mcgee

I just checked my old paper work. When I bought my camper it came with a warranty sheet that had the camper serial number on it which I think is on the tag on the back of the camper. That's the number that's used as the VIN on the title. I too live in Washington.

You may have to contact the builder to see if you can get a copy of the MSO, and a state title search may be required to ensure the camper has not been stolen.

I believe Oregon requires campers to be titled just like Washington. There may be a lost Oregon title that could be replaced, or you would have to try to get a replacement manufacture’s certificate of origin (MCO) from the manufacturer. They may only be willing to issue the replacement MCO to the original owner.

In Oregon, there is some wiggle room on pop up campers. The rule involves the internal height while traveling down the road. As I recall when I looked into this in 2014 when I bought our Hawk, you don't have to title and tag the camper if the internal height is 55 inches or less while traveling on the highway.

Taking this approach, you don't have a tag and therefore a title is not required. This may have consequences if you bought the camper with a loan. Hard for a bank to encumber the camper for repossession without a title so can't have a secured loan.

I'm sure this all made sense to the bureaucrats that wrote the rules to implement the laws passed by the legislature but who knows?

Paul

Interesting. In WA best i could tell the distinguishing feature in the RCW definition of “camper” for title and license purposes is the floor tub.

The OP probably needs to go to a license agency, ask for the most experienced person, and lay out the story to find out options and requirements.

A helpful thing to do when taking a truck camper transaction to a license agency: be prepared to show a picture so you’re sure everyone is talking about the same thing. “Camper” means different things to different people.

Thank you to everyone that responded to the title question. I have contacted ATC and did receive a new sticker for the back of the camper and paper work for MCO. My local Jefferson county licencing needed a 12 digit number, not just the 4 digit on the camper. I think that if I just add zeros in front of the number it probably will work. Then of course write the big check for the sales tax, ha.
Thanks again, love this forum!!
Mcgee

Back
Top Bottom