Where Only A Pop-Up Could Go!

Okay guys I need more aggressive off-roading pictures to convince me that a hard-side can't get around, after finding these pictures from the White Rim Trail... :LOL: :eek:

I don't think anyone is going to try and convince you either way, we'll just answer the questions and point out some tidbits for consideration each way to get what'll suit you the best and make your wandering a good time. ;)

And I agree that any camper is going to have moisture and condensation issues. However I am not one to worry about the weather, but I don't want to find pools of water when I raise the top or when I wake up in the morning.

I've never had issues with water getting into a camper with the top down to surprise me when it goes up. I do have a gasket on mine that some of the years didn't. I'd assume all the new ones have it. In cold weather you get some condensation on the sides and roof, that you need to wipe off w/ a rag so it doesn't get all over. Not sure how much that will change with a hard side camper. I suspect the bigger issue is heat sources while boondocking with either, since you're likely running a propane heater which you'll need to vent some. If you were plugged in somewhere running an electric heater to dry things out I could foresee it being less issue regardless of the rig, but thats not what we're talking about.

That is good to hear that you can sit up in the camper with the top down. It doesn't have to be extremely comfortable, just doable.

Yeah the stock height of the couch is fine for sitting inside & moving around. I've grabbed some shuteye at rest areas and such like this too. I'll pop the top to make some dinner then drop it and shut up the curtains to sleep stealth. Some conversions to put the height of it on the wheel well step might make things more interesting though.

I don't think anyone is going to try and convince you either way, we'll just answer the questions and point out some tidbits for consideration each way to get what'll suit you the best and make your wandering a good time. ;)

I appreciate it! That's all I'm after. I'm just trying to visualize how I would use a camper most of the time, and how I would deal with storage and organization in a pop-up.
The moisture and condensation would be an issue in anything, but I haven't had problems when spending time in motor homes and travel trailers. With a fwc I would have an arctic pack to keep a barrier, I just don't want mold and mildew issues with it. I grew up on the Oregon coast so I'm a little too familiar with mold.

Do you have any issues camping in snow? It seems like the snow would melt on the sides and be likely to freeze, is that a valid concern? How many of you use your campers year round?

A pop-up fits our lifestyle much better than a hardside in general, I just want to weigh our options.

I have another request if you guys aren't tired of my questions already. Help me understand your storage and space utilization when you head out for a week with your significant other. Are your clothes in bags under the couch? Food, bedding, etc.

Thanks for helping out and putting up with my questions!

Storage is a continual concern. I removed my ice box to make more storage. You'll never have enough.

I had a full size camper. Inside shower and potty was nice. Lots more storage was nice. Ripping pieces of the camper off offroad not so nice. Sway and ten mpg not so nice. For me the popup is the solution. I use mine year round but not in extreme conditions and I don't find water/condensation to be a big deal.

This picture is what it looks like. Another inch or two higher and I'd have been backing down the trail. Try that in a hard side.

donttakeyourearthroamer-1.jpg

I appreciate it! That's all I'm after. I'm just trying to visualize how I would use a camper most of the time, and how I would deal with storage and organization in a pop-up.
The moisture and condensation would be an issue in anything, but I haven't had problems when spending time in motor homes and travel trailers. With a fwc I would have an arctic pack to keep a barrier, I just don't want mold and mildew issues with it. I grew up on the Oregon coast so I'm a little too familiar with mold.
You'll want to air out your rig after use either way in the PNW I would think. I store mine with desiccant in it and haven't had issues yet (owned a year).

Do you have any issues camping in snow? It seems like the snow would melt on the sides and be likely to freeze, is that a valid concern? How many of you use your campers year round?
I forget what the temp is from reading about the turtle expedition but at some point low temperature becomes a concern due to brittle issues with the fabric but this was in a Russian winter that it was a concern, I don't think most of the lower 48 you really need to worry much. I've had mine in the snow a couple times, and didn't get any more build up on the sides that you'd expect out of a vertical surface. Our intent is to use the camper more year round but I've got a son due any day so it put a damper on the winter snowboard trips since the wife couldn't come out and ride.

Main moisture issue I had was out hunting in the fall getting soaked through in the rain and then coming in and having wet gear all over the camper, obviously it created a bunch of condensation on the windows & humidity in there but I'm thinking any camper that size would have been similar. A larger travel trailer w/ a generator going to power heaters constantly and you'd likely not have it as rough but we're in a different class at that point. Running the heater in the FWC constantly also helps but you're likely not going to be carrying the batteries to match that for a week trip for instance so you'd likely need a generator to supplement things (if that was the case I'd also likely run a electric space heater while the generator was running and get a more even temperature in there as the propane throws a lot of heat quick but tends to be a bunch of on/off due to it).

I have another request if you guys aren't tired of my questions already. Help me understand your storage and space utilization when you head out for a week with your significant other. Are your clothes in bags under the couch? Food, bedding, etc.

Thanks for helping out and putting up with my questions!

I've got an extended cab truck and had a slider window installed in it. It allows us to keep some clothes and food items in the truck and reach through to grab them as needed.

Refridgables in the fridge, pantry stuff in the lower cabinets (I turned them into drawers), utensils & ziplocks and such in the drawer, and some more bulk cooking and food stuff under the sink. In the cabinet over the couch I keep cards, cribbage board, books, mini DVD player, Ipod & speakers, toiletries, wet wipes, TP, etc.

Under the couch: Batteries, AX, folding shovel, bow saw, pie irons, camp chairs, drain hose & 3gal bucket (for gray water and an emergency bathroom, put a bag in it w/ kitty litter then seal up), and usually some clothes, water jugs, etc.

Pillows are usually on top of the countertop when the top is down and the bedding is folded up in the space between the counter & front of the camper (~8" if I recall) or sleeping bags are just on the floor/couch in stuff sacks if we have colder weather down bags along.

Snow boards fit in the extended cab area of my truck when those are along.

Will that XP make it through the drivethrough at in n out??

Thats one place the FWC/ATC folks can navigate rather easily(now I'm salivating)...Hard sider??? Park and go in

Thats an option thats more important than you might think. Its easy to forget the camper is on there:)

Will that XP make it through the drivethrough at in n out??

Thats one place the FWC/ATC folks can navigate rather easily(now I'm salivating)...Hard sider??? Park and go in

Oh yeah; been to quite a few of them in the last year :p

I also had it in several parking garages...

here are a few pictures of people out "wheelin" their four wheel pop-up campers ...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 277
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 312
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 292
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 271
go to youtube and type in "Four wheel camper elephant hill" I think I put 3 or 4 videos from last year climbing up elephant hill with the camper on. Some endero motorcycle guys at the bottom decided not go up, there yet a big, heavy, wide, hard sided camper. but to each there own, I think there are so many brands and models out there, you just need to figure out what you are into. Good luck and keep us posted.

Greetings everyone, this is my first posting on this site and while browsing I spotted this topic. Hardsides and the WRT make for a very interesting expedition. Having done this in June of 2008 hauling my Lance815 on a F250 LB 4x4 and heading back this coming Sept 2010.
Green River side
361159481_XJVnt-M.jpg

Click on pic for video

The most interesting and challenging was Pucker Pass in Long Canyon ear Dead Horse Point State Park.
Click on pic for video

Click on pic for video

Click on pic for video

White Rim Trail was the most challenging place I've done.

Those are some great vids c.traveler. I wouldnt want to take that big camper on those roads but good on you for a successful run :)

I thought I would provide some feedback on the coyote RV folks as I too am conducting my own due diligence on companies with my wife and I looking for a camper. I understand that the dominant feedback is coming from the FWC and ATC owners and for all I know this site is for FWC/ATC campers only. While I know there is likely a natural bias, I would put little stock in those 5th grade opinions that say something to the order of "I've heard some things......... not so good......." etc, etc. There are benefits to custom builds and their are drawbacks. The same goes for factory builds as in the case with FWC.

I have yet to order a camper (2 yrs running of "planning"). That said, my experience with Coyote/Phoenix thus far has been nothing short of outstanding. It is true that they are a boutique family owned business. As a small business owner myself, I can relate and I do not see this as a problem but potentially as a real benefit to their customers. I have harrassed them no less than 20 times in the past year with random "what if" questions and they have been gracious every single time. I've visited their facility twice, checked out their frames and how they weld them (Bomber welds), the material that they use from the countertops to the bedding. Trust me I've looked at everything.

Robby also took the time to create and send me a blueprint with all the intricacies that I was looking for. Want to pick our your own material for the cushions and bed? Fine. Want to put in LED's in the ceiling? No problem. Need some extra girth to handle a 3 foot overnight dump of snow at Jackson Hole? We can do that. They even designed the camper for me that would allow a full queen bed over my cab with no slide outs needed and even built room for a months worth of clothes under the bed. Pretty cool. I hope you get my point.

Like I said, there are benefits and drawbacks to either custom or factor builds. Phoenix allow you to dream up your camper, and they'll build it for you. FWC makes a bomber camper each and every time with zero customization other than the components. It's what matters most to you. I just think that as you do your homework to not rule out the folks at Phoenix. I am strongly leaning their way.

Thanks,

Brian

The days of buying a car and having any choice of color as long as it is black is the way of the past. There is such variety out there to suit everybody unique taste. You are heading in the right path for you and with all the research time will settle on your choice for the moment.

Brian Thanks for sharing a different view, but why wait 2 years…get one and get out there and start enjoying
cool.gif
. Life is too short!

Passed through this little area the other day and thought of this thread..not sure a full size/hard sider would have made it..

Attachments

• 37small.jpg
    37small.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 216
  • WTW topa topa \'10 038small.jpg
    WTW topa topa \'10 038small.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 227
Well I'm glad to see there have been a couple of posts in here still! ;)

Thanks B Eagle for your thoughts on Coyote RV.

Unfortunately nothing has really changed right now. I ended up getting a new car for my wife a couple of weeks ago so I guess that puts things back a bit again. I still don't believe I'll be in the market as long as I'm living here, I will probably wait until I can get work that will allow us to get back to Oregon/Washington. Hopefully sooner than later! My job here keeps me on such a short leash that I would likely never get to use it anyway, ugh.

Back
Top Bottom