Which rear shocks for Tundra?

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
I need new rear shocks on our 2011 Tundra. Could go with the popular Bilsteins, but just wondering if there is something a little better we may want to consider?

Thanks, Patrick. One more question on the Bilsteins. We put the adjustable 5100's on the front with 1 and 3/4" lift to level the truck. The rear is stock height. The price difference between the 4600's and the 5100's is small. Is the only difference between the two that the 4600's are for stock height and 5100's for lifted trucks? The shock width and travel appear to be essentially the same.

I put Bilstein 4600 on my 06 Tundra access cab last summer they do the job well..

Running Rancho RS9000's, still have my original 7 year old pair on the rear. Just replaced the fronts after blowing them out for the second time under warranty (3 pairs on the front in 7 years).

My understanding is that the 4600's use a smaller OD body and a proportionately smaller piston inside. Why this matters is more oil volume = better fade resistance.

ntsqd said:
My understanding is that the 4600's use a smaller OD body and a proportionately smaller piston inside. Why this matters is more oil volume = better fade resistance.
Based on what I have read, they are identical in size and pressure. I do like the look of the 5100's a lot more. And the cost difference is only a few bucks so not an issue. Some of you may remember pvstoy's truck and camper combo before he sold the rig a few years back. Easily the most capable rig I have seen on WTW. And if the 4600's were good enough for him...

Thanks everyone for your input. Order placed and Fishmore will get them installed for us.

I've gone through 2 sets of Bilsteins. I probably run em hard but the one good thing I can say about them is they have a lifetime warranty. I finally read the small print which said something like "not intended for off-road use". I have since been using the FOX Shocks with remote reservoirs. They are worth every penny. If you intend on doing a lot of off-roading or washboard roads with your camper on, I recommend anything with the remote reservoir to help keep your shocks cooler.

Back
Top Bottom