Which truck to buy for Four Wheel Hawk Camper

Thanks, everyone, for all the excellent suggestions and options. It has really helped me to figure out what I need.

Anthony

it's always better to have more capacity- get the 2500 and avoid having to modify a 1500- keeping everything on the truck stock is always a good idea- just my 2 cents...

If you travel light and have just a Hawk shell, then a half-ton full size truck will probably be OK. But if you have a loaded Hawk, full tanks, lots of gear and don't want to worry about weight or mess with aftermarket enhancements, you'll be happier with a 3/4 ton truck. I upgraded from a F-150 to a F-250 and it's like night and day.

Quick update.

I just did a 1,000+ mile trip with the new hawk on my Dodge Ram 2500. Driving on the interstates at 72-73 mph resulted in an average mpg of 15.8. If I decreased the speed to 65-68 it would increase to over 16.5 mpg. This is all hand calculated and not info from the truck's overhead. Doesn't seem too bad considering the camper is 1500+ lbs loaded and is about as aerodynamic as a cardboard box!

Thinking that a fairing for the front of the camper could help a bit.

For my 2006 Hawk I started with a 2005 F150 super crew 4x4 with 5.5' bed. With a payload of 1500 lbs it worked fine with airbags, upgraded "E" tires, sway bar. Brakes seemed fine too. Nonetheless I was leery of being overloaded when on a trip with kids etc. I switched to a 2008 F250 super cab 4x4 with a 2500lb payload. I still use airbags but it is mostly for aesthetics to level the truck and keeps the headlights aimed properly. Both trucks have the same 5.4 engine and the F150 was more agile since it was 1000 lbs lighter. Overall I'm happy with the 3/4 ton. I can seat 6 and the 142" wheelbase is only slightly greater than the F150.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 204
Fortunately I'm in a position to wait but I am waiting to see the new Ford F-150 due out this fall. Among other things it is going to shed 700 pounds. Should help increase payload capacity.

Timothy McGowen said:
Fortunately I'm in a position to wait but I am waiting to see the new Ford F-150 due out this fall. Among other things it is going to shed 700 pounds. Should help increase payload capacity.
Tim, it sounds like a very nice truck, but unfortunately, I suspect the price will rise as well as the payload capacity. I hope I am wrong.

I've tried both F150 and F350 with a 2012 Hawk. The F150 definitely needed stiffer tires and helper springs but with those mods it was fine. I had to upgrade for more passengers and moved up to F350 and it is possibly bit more than needed but does make me feel more secure rolling along at 70 in the company of the big trucks. I agree, though, that a properly tweaked F150 should be fine.

Wanted to chime in again on this.

I started thinking about a couple of years ago when I had a 1/2 ton Chevy. When I moved a while back, I had my 900 lb. Harley Davidson in the bed of the truck. I also had my wife, kid, and a lot of clothes in the cab. The truck didn't squat and it drove like the load wasn't even there. Only lost 2 mpg avg. The load I had in that truck was well over the weight of a shell model camper. I'd say you'd be fine with at least a shell model on a 1/2 ton without modifications.

Connecticut Yankee nailed it. I've had pop-ups in both a F150 and an F350.

Which is better for carrying a camper? The F350 by a mile.

Which is a better daily driver? The F150, hands down.

Call me a pessimist, but I doubt that the F150 losing 700 pounds will increase the rated payload by 700 pounds. Just sayin'.

After driving through the rocky mountains with a Hawk, gear, and jeep in tow, I decided to upgrade the family truckster to a Ram 2500. My Tundra had plenty of power but all the suspension upgrades I installed was not enough in my eyes. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone to a 3/4 ton truck right away instead of spending money on suspension upgrades. Just my .02$.

I have my fully loaded Hawk on a Ford F250 and love that setup. I'd never consider going back down to a 1/2 ton. I never take the camper off....YMMV.

Mobile camp on wheels - DSC_05540019.JPG

Back
Top Bottom