Which Wave to go

Usually propane tanks are only filled to about 80%, to allow for expansion. That being said, it is possible to fill them to close to 100% although it is not a good idea. But this could be the reason for odd fuel numbers.

This solves your problem and is the direction I went. Link

I'm tired of the weight of the steel tanks. I am ready to make a change to aluminum or fiberglass but I can't decide. What made you decide on fiberglass?

Interesting, but pricey. I went to the site and they say, "the tanks are designed for vertical use", so I'm not sure it would be useful as a replacement for the horizontal compartment of my Hawk.

Thanks for the 1/8# per hour consumption info. Using an adapter I think I could run the Wave overnight on a one pound bottle and with a second small bottle be able to cook for another day or so. Nice to have a back up plan.

Usually propane tanks are only filled to about 80%, to allow for expansion. That being said, it is possible to fill them to close to 100% although it is not a good idea. But this could be the reason for odd fuel numbers.

I thought the same thing...so I asked the guy who'd discovered the "fill vertically" sticker on the tank, and he said, "They're sized so that 80% full is 5 gallons. The vent [the one that starts spewing to indicate "full"] is set that way."
I found a couple of sources on the Web that confirms "80% full is 5 gal"...and one that says "Full = 80% of 5 gal = 4 gal"...
huh.gif

The Wave 3 uses 1/8 pound per hour on high. So eight hours on high uses one gallon.

You mean, 8 hours uses one pound, right? A gallon of propane (liquid) weighs about 4 pounds.
[update- I had written "5 pounds"...for some reason, but corrected it to "4"]

Home Skillet went the same way in his custom build.

I'm tired of the weight of the steel tanks. I am ready to make a change to aluminum or fiberglass but I can't decide. What made you decide on fiberglass?

Easy, you can see the propane inside a fiberglass tank, so you can monitor the fuel you have left.

Also, you can buy a Ragasco tank for $100 and the aluminum tanks are much more expensive.

Using an adapter I think I could run the Wave overnight on a one pound bottle and with a second small bottle be able to cook for another day or so. Nice to have a back up plan.

I talked to the people who make the Wave and they said not to run it on the 1 pound disposable canisters. Not sure why.

Might work if it is still run through the regulator? Best give it a try while you are up, and not run it overnight like that.

Andy,

I use a small bulk tank for my Wave 3, I think it is one gallon, ay least that is what it takes when I get it filled. I'll show it to you at Saline. Lasts about a week. For cooking which I only do outside I have a 3 gallon tank.

Hadley, this 3 gallon tank I have is what I'd like to replace with something lighter. Do you know what size "poundwise" would equal the 3 gallons?

gene

Running mine on low all night I didn't see the guage budge. Theoretically you can no longer overfill the tanks. The OPD (overfill prevention device) is supposed to prevent this.

Running mine on low all night I didn't see the guage budge. Theoretically you can no longer overfill the tanks. The OPD (overfill prevention device) is supposed to prevent this.

I don't think the horizontal RV propane tanks need an OPD, I think the older ones were grandfathered in.

Ok, I just ordered one of these. I choose this brand over the one Hadley mentioned as I like that this one is a bit more slender, less plastic mass around the top.

http://www.backcountry.com/lite-cylinder-10-lb-propane-cylinder

Ok, I just ordered one of these. I choose this brand over the one Hadley mentioned as I like that this one is a bit more slender, less plastic mass around the top.

http://www.backcountry.com/lite-cylinder-10-lb-propane-cylinder

I will be interested in seeing what you think of the Lite Cylinder.

RE: Which Wave

I have been using an older version of the Wave3 for 12 years. First used it in a homemade popup camper and then in my Eagle for the last 3 years. It is perfectly adequate down to subzero use. I only use it on high when starting it, then medium in very cold conditions and low otherwise. Almost never leave it on all night except in very cold conditions. If you're going to camp in the cold an artic pack is essential. I made mine from reflectix and it keeps the camper much warmer and really reduces condensation. I'd start with an artic pack for the shoulder seasons and then consider a Wave3 if you're camping in the winter.

I have been thinking about mounting a Wave 3 in my Hawk shell and because I have the areas just inside the door on the rear portion already tied up with my PETT toilet (passenger side) and my folding tables and water source (driver's side).

I was wondering if anyone has attached their Wave to the inside of the door, facing forward? Seems like having it centered, out of the way, and facing forward would do the most good.

The door is metal, so that shouldn't be a problem and of course, I would "sleeve" the bolts going through the door to keep them from crushing the door when snugging them down, and maybe adding some straps from the sides to run across the width of the door to attach to as well. My plan is to add the propane tank to a bracket on the driver's side rear bumper, so it would just be a matter of making a hole for the fuel supply line to pass through the door and sealing it up with some camper silicone. The hose would be free to move as the door swings in and out, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Is this a good idea or not? Is there a problem I am not seeing?

Jack

Is this a good idea or not? Is there a problem I am not seeing?

Jack

Actually mounted to the door? I wouldn't think it would like the closing/jarring and greater exposure to dirt? I always think of that catalytic element as somewhat fragile.

Actually mounted to the door? I wouldn't think it would like the closing/jarring and greater exposure to dirt? I always think of that catalytic element as somewhat fragile.

Yep to the door. I didn't think about the catalytic element being fragile. I wonder what kind of abuse it can take? I would think for the average WTW user, that has theirs mounted and if they have traveled any washboard roads, should have put the Wave through some pretty serious vibration/abuse.

Has anyone had a problem with their Wave after traveling over extensive washboard roads?

Not discounting Barko1's concern, just want to make sure I am not going to hurt anything.

Jack

<snip>
Has anyone had a problem with their Wave after traveling over extensive washboard roads?
<snip>

No.

The catalytic element is guarded by the grill. Thus far no problems but I'd like to throw out an additional question - How many here use the dust cover? My concern in protecting the wave is from loading and unloading gear in the camper for travel. We have had very little problem with dust.

No.

The catalytic element is guarded by the grill. Thus far no problems but I'd like to throw out an additional question - How many here use the dust cover? My concern in protecting the wave is from loading and unloading gear in the camper for travel. We have had very little problem with dust.

No also.

Yes on the cover. The big take away I got reading about the heater was the dust and dirt can damage the catalyst pad, the cover seems to do a good job of keeping it clean.

Back
Top Bottom