Which Wave to go

Yep to the door. I didn't think about the catalytic element being fragile. I wonder what kind of abuse it can take? I would think for the average WTW user, that has theirs mounted and if they have traveled any washboard roads, should have put the Wave through some pretty serious vibration/abuse.

Has anyone had a problem with their Wave after traveling over extensive washboard roads?

Not discounting Barko1's concern, just want to make sure I am not going to hurt anything.

Jack

I just wonder what the manufacturer might say. I haven't heard about failure although they do stress keeping the element clean. I like having the Wave on a hose so I can move it around as needed.

Yes on the cover. The big take away I got reading about the heater was the dust and dirt can damage the catalyst pad, the cover seems to do a good job of keeping it clean.

Thanks Mr. Sun. The cover's been on my wish list.

I'm following the manufacturer's warnings about "poisoning" (contaminating) the catalyst and keeping mine covered whenever it's not in use...I put the cover back on as soon as it's cool enough. The replacement cost for the catalyst pad is most of the cost of a new heater.
And, more importantly, if it's not doing it's catalytic magic as well as it's supposed to do, there's the danger that it won't be as indoor-safe as most of us assume it is. [DISCLAIMER: I assume that this is true -- I'm not an expert/authority.]

If you're kinda food-messy like me, also beware the hazard of getting "stuff" on the heater while it's in use. I splashed/dribbled milk from my cereal bowl onto the hot catalyst surface this winter, leaving a couple of dark (presumably dead) streaks on it.
sad.gif
But they're just a tiny fraction of the total surface area, so I'm assuming it's not significantly damaged.

Thanks Mr. Sun. The cover's been on my wish list.

I bought the official cover but it is not a great fit with the legs installed but I put it on as MarkBC says, as soon as cool. And then I cover it with the plastic bag it shipped in and stick the heater in a corner where it hibernates until the next use.

I suppose you could, though the door opens the wrong way for most of us (assuming your propane tank is in the stock location). Would be more efficient aimed that way. Just don't set your curtains on fire.

P.S. I keep the cover on mine when not in use. Wasn't all that easy to source. Annoying how sometimes accessories are hard to source.

I suppose you could, though the door opens the wrong way for most of us (assuming your propane tank is in the stock location). Would be more efficient aimed that way. Just don't set your curtains on fire.

P.S. I keep the cover on mine when not in use. Wasn't all that easy to source. Annoying how sometimes accessories are hard to source.

Mine is a shell model, so no factory propane storage for me. My propane tank will be mounted in my own way to the rear bumper.

Jack

Its interesting, mounting propane outside just seems like a terrible idea to me. Yet (drumroll) I have no problem carrying ten gallons of gasoline on the back of the Jeep. Probably much more hazardous than the propane.

Its interesting, mounting propane outside just seems like a terrible idea to me. Yet (drumroll) I have no problem carrying ten gallons of gasoline on the back of the Jeep. Probably much more hazardous than the propane.

Yep, propane under pressure or gas cans that have a propensity to leak/vent. Pick your poison. :D

Still debating...

Jack

I've recently installed a wave3 in my old 83 FWC, but have yet to test it out on an actual trip. For the most part it is mounted to the side of the counter storage area using some brackets I made located right to the side of the propane tank box. Seemed like my feet might get too hot if I'm laying down there so I thought it would be best for heating the whole camper if I had pointing length wise. Just not any room in the cabover if you want to lay down up there. So I ended up attaching a couple hooks to a couple of the screws that hold the bottom lifting panel in the rear, and attaching short 4" lengths of chain to the screw holes in the rear of the wave3 so I can hang it from the top of the doorway. As I said.. I haven't tested it out yet, but I am optimistic about it and it was an easy set up. Me and the gf are planning on a trip later this month so I should know then.

When I used our brand new Wave 3 in wet snowy conditions around 20 degrees / 6,000' last spring I noticed two things I hadn't expected: One, the heater gave off a pretty strong / unpleasant chemical or burnt fuel odor that left me with a headache and had me turning off the heater before bed and Two, when I vented according to manufacturer specs (1 lower vent and one upper vent of 24 square inches Each) the heater had a hard time keeping up with all the cold air coming in.

Does your Wave give off a strong odor and how much and where are you guys venting when the heater's in use?

I've never noticed any odor from mine. I open vents about two inches. Keeps things above freezing but not really warm but thats on low.

No odor from my Wave 6, even on High (6000 BTU). Although...I think my smelling abilities are not that great, so I could be missing something.
unsure.gif

I have my vents -- turnbuckle access on the bottom and roof vent on the top -- open less than 24 in2 each, maybe only half that much with the Wave 6 on low (3000 BTU) -- and the CO alarm has never sounded and I've never died.
But that's just what I do, and I'm not advising you to do the same.

Did you "burn" it off before using it for the first time? My little Coleman recommended using it for the first time outside and burning off any chemical smells. I haven't had any smells from mine, it just isn't big enough for keep the Hawk warm.

Jack

it just isn't big enough for keep the Hawk warm.

Jack

That surprises me some as the 3 seems to be good in my Grandby in all but the well below freezing temps. I have insulated with reflextic just about everywhere and the camper sits on 2" of foam insulating board.

That surprises me some as the 3 seems to be good in my Grandby in all but the well below freezing temps. I have insulated with reflextic just about everywhere and the camper sits on 2" of foam insulating board.

Mine is not a Wave3. I have a small Coleman that screws onto a 1lb propane bottle. That is why I am looking at the Wave3. I have to add the "artic" insulation as well.

Jack

Did you "burn" it off before using it for the first time? My little Coleman recommended using it for the first time outside and burning off any chemical smells. I haven't had any smells from mine, it just isn't big enough for keep the Hawk warm.

Jack

I didn't "burn it off" outside before running it that first trip and I'm wondering too if that might have something to do with the strong chemical smell. I'll run it before taking it out this year and see if that helps. The Wave 3 cranked out pretty good heat, it just couldn't keep up with the windows being open so much to vent the smell (and comply with manufacturer recommendations). No one else seems to report this problem so I'll retry. I also think some kind of arctic pack is pretty mandatory when camping in winter conditions and I like Barko's idea about insulating under the floor and along the wood sides.

Back
Top Bottom