White Rim Road in Canyonlands NP

Kolockum

Still Wandering
Looking to escape the dismal winter in Washington and heading to the desert in the next few weeks. The White Rim Road sounds appealing, has anybody done this in the winter?

Not in the winter. I bet a call to the Island in the Sky visitor center would give you all the info you would need to know concern wise.

No telling what the weather will be like in a few weeks, but southern Utah has been in the 60's and 70's for the past two weeks and it's dry everywhere. White Rim requires a permit and it can get busy that time of year especially around spring break.
Dsrtrat

I've been down there when it's rainy and snowy.... not a great time and it can get really, really, muddy with some flash flooding and mud slides. If you are going to do it though, take some mtn bikers gear :). We did a 3 day ride (self supported) and always were trying to figure out who was going to drive. Awesome scenery and amazing road out.

I've done it man years ago. Think it was spring or fall. Definitely call the park service there. You will likely need at least one campsite and they fill up fast.

Have you researched the White Rim in general -- aside from the "winter" aspect?
Or have you driven it yourself in warmer seasons?

If not, check out the Canyonlands National Park page for White Rim Road. And also, if not, I echo the advice here about getting a reserved campspot well in advance. There's a link on the Canyonlands page for getting an overnight-camping permit.

Calling or emailing Canyonlands N.P. and asking about current and likely conditions of the White Rim Road would be a good idea. There are "alerts" on their home page about road damage due to winter weather, some closed roads.
Here's what they currently say about the White Rim Road:

White Rim Road: open, with caution
The White Rim Road is in rough condition, especially from Murphy Hogback to the western park boundary. It is very likely that vehicles without a 4-Low gear will not be able to complete the loop in its entirety. If you are going to attempt to drive the road in a vehicle that does not have a 4-Low gear, carry extra fuel and be prepared to self-rescue. During winter, all vehicles are advised to carry chains.

For info on the White Rim in general, not necessarily in winter, there're lots of resources on the web, and my (from April 2014) trip report and others on WTW.

I have done a fair amount of research in to the White Rim Road and the surrounding area. I will call the NPS again when the trip gets closer. I haven't spent much time in the south west and looking to get some WTWer input. We are looking at a 4-5 day backpacking trip, mountain bike, 4x4 or a combo of all 3. Not sure if there is room for mountain bikes yet but I am hoping there is. If the camp sites get taken before we can reserved them then we will just go backpacking.

The dates are not set in stone as we will be swinging by Yellowstone for a 5-7 day backcountry ski trip and then Jackson Hole for some elusive skiable snow covered mountains. And anything else that sounds like fun on our way down to Canyonlands.

Back
Top Bottom