Who runs, or has run, their 3 Way Fridge on propane while the truck is moving?

My camper was new about 4 years ago so it had auto relight. Maybe it blew out but even traveling almost non stop for 40 hours, everything stayed cool.

Just ran mine this past weekend while driving on gravel forestry roads, highways, etc. Never went out once, worked like a charm.

I try to run my fridge while moving but it blows out consistently at highway speeds. If I am on side roads it sometimes stays lit but it is frustrating.

Safety issue. If you have a wreck and turn over- propane could explode.

" back in the old days" (70's and 80's) we were advised not to use propane when driving truck campers. I suppose because they are top heavy and in case of a rollover - camper comes off the truck and collapses. Dislodging the propane tank can cause the valve to break off. Any open flame coul cause an explosion.

Maybe the new systems have better safety turn-off valves in the event of roll-over.

Your tank should be fastened down and can't move. All connections to the tank as for some years now have the green acorn nut. That design is suppose to close when a hose comes loose. So in a accident if a hose line breaks the nut should stop the gas. Your vehicle computer should shut down the fuel pump. But there is residue fuel in both lines, not to mention both fuel tanks. Both tanks are sucurely fastened and protected, but either one could be ruptured and just need the right condition to ingnite.

If you have the older style connection at the propane tank I would update to the new standard valve nut. If your tank is not fastened down I would also make it not a flying object.

I ran on propane only, and with the trailer the propane flame is on when I leave and when I return. Battery just plain sucks..... Your battery down from the high amps it needs. When you switch from propane to battery you will have full amp draw until the heating unit gets up operating cycle. So that means your camper battery is not charging and is just maintaining barley the refreg

So newer propane systems are better than the old style but any system could fail. Do the best you can be safe and accept your level of how you want things to be. These are the good old new days now....

Back
Top Bottom