Wilderness Medicine

brett13

Lovecock
Anyone have any suggestions for books/guides to keep with you in case someone gets hurt? Any suggestions for learning more than your basic, basic first aid like a particular book or course? Spending so much time away from emergency services makes me think I ought to have a little more knowlege than "wash it, tape it and ice it". Like knowing when you need stitches vs just a nasty cut. Or knowing how to handle shock.

Brett there are many books and resources on the net, but I highly recommend taking a red cross class in basic first aid and CPR then you can go the the next level for intermediate and advance. The reason for this the classes give practical exercises and nothing replaces actually placing a tourniquet on. And if you get a cut that is deep and or long enough to need stiches its time to pack up and go. Start here http://www.redcross.org

Believe it or not I spent 35 years teaching this stuff to LA Unified bus drivers. Its tested by the CHP along with dirving and California law in order to get a School Bus Driver Certificate. Shock is a major cause of death and most shock victims could have been saved.

Most importantly you must stay calm no matter what!!!!

1. Recognise the causes of shock.
* Severe allergic reaction.
* Electrical shock,
* Burns.
* Severe trauma.
* Near drowning.
* Poisoning.
* Snakebite.

2. Assess the situation. If the cause of the victim's injuries is a serious risk, you may have to try to remove the victim to a safer place
3. Call your local emergency number, if possible and let them know that a victim is suffering from, or is likely to go into shock.
4. Communicate with the victim if he/she is conscious.
* Seek permission to help with their condition, but do not imply any training or qualification you do not have.
* Look for injuries such as bleeding which you may be able to treat.
5. Look for indications the victim may be suffering from shock. The victim may be cold, shivering, and vomiting, and their skin may be pale and clammy and their breathing may be very shallow. Some victims may not exhibit any obvious signs of shock, and sometimes the symptoms may not be evident for some time after the trauma or accident they suffer, so treating a serious accident victim for shock may even prevent the onset of the condition.
6. Lay the victim on their back, and elevate their legs slightly. Do this only if it does not cause further injury.
* Place an insulating barrier between the victim and the ground, if available, to decrease body heat loss. A blanket, jacket, or a large towel will help.
* Wrap the victim in a rescue blanket or cover them with any available covering to keep them warm.
* Place a thin cushion under their neck or head. A rolled up shirt or other item of clothing will work for this.
7. Watch for vomiting. If the victim vomits, tilt their head to the side and clear their airway.
8. Keep the victim warm and comfortable until medical help arrives. Treat any injuries that you are able to competently treat, and observe anything which may be helpful to the emergency responders.

The Ship Captain's Medical Guide

For a very comprehensive medical and first aid guide that’s free and can be downloaded go to:

http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home/workingatsea/mcga-medicalcertandadvice/mcga-dqs_st_shs_ships_capt_medical_guide.htm

It’s written for vessels that don’t carry a ships doctor, so everything is in laymen terms, but
other than a couple chapters relevant to fishermen, it’s a great reference for anyone..

It’s in PDF format and is divided in about 15 chapters that are individually downloadable.

Wemt

I use the Wilderness Emergency Care book by Steve Donelan when teaching the WEMT (Wilderness EMT) course at my work. I purchased this material through the ASHI bookstore. ASHI is short for American Safety & Health Institute. This is a "extra" class for Emergency Medical Technicians. We use it in conjunction with our Wildland FireFighting and Special OPS teams. It is great for backcountry camping purposes. But even Basic First Aid and CPR are a must if you are going to make a difference and perhaps save someones life. :thumb:

I second captainkettel endorsement for the "Emergency Wilderness Care" book.
But as a long time CPR instructor I would recommend a local AHA CPR class as a start. In fact everyone should take CPR. Additionally the local Redcross teaches a basic first aid class which I highly recommend. I do a lot of wilderness rafting and usually end up being the main medical person on these trips. My real job is a Firefighter Paramedic but I have found wilderness medicine to be an almost separate discipline. A simple first aid kit is essential in my camper as well.

Will
2005 Tacoma
Eagle

Any training and equipment is better than none. The more the better. Reminds me, think my cpr is due for renewal. Even though its no longer current, I'm sure glad that I did have the emt training. Just having some knowledge goes a long way to keeping you calm, and imho, not panicking is one the best things you can do at the scene. Often one calm person is all thats needed to calm an entire group of hysterical people.

I was at a Jeep event, far far in the mountains. Would have been hours for help to arrive. Saw the Jeep behind roll five times down a hill. Tons of people ran up to help carrying these teeny little first aid kits that had not much more than a few band aids. I had my full trauma kit with me but luckily the guy had only a small bump on the head. Go roll cages and seatbelts.

Thanks all. This is good stuff. I hope all visitors here read this thread and go prepared. Time to go look for a course.

Lots of good info, a couple books I carry in my camper is the Boy Scout Handbook, First Aid Merit Badge Book, and Boy Scout Field Book. These 3 books cover everything from wilderness survival, first aid, cooking, orienteering, etc.
These are good references, but nothing beats a good training course by the Red Cross. If or you feel you need more, check out the local Hunter Safety Programs, I know out East here in Massachusetts the Basic Hunter Safety Course run by the Department of Fish and Wildlife run a couple wilderness survival and map and compass courses which teach the basics to keep alive in the woods if injured, lost, or both.

Back
Top Bottom