Will a Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier, or Toyota Tacoma need suspension upgrades?

Brewskier

Advanced Member
So my truck quest has come to a fork in the road... older diesel 4x4's, or smaller v6 4x4's. I plan on putting on a 6.5' popup camper, which I'm sure won't be a problem for the diesel trucks. For the smaller V6's, though, I'd be worried about having to do an immediate upgrade to the suspension, so it may be more cost effective to go with the larger diesel right off the bat.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes if you want a stable, level ride. Air bags, overloads, timbrens etc. don't cost that much. There are lots of resources on this site for that info.

If I were to start over I would use a larger capacity truck, most likely a 3/4 ton.

Yes if you want a stable, level ride. Air bags, overloads, timbrens etc. don't cost that much. There are lots of resources on this site for that info.

If I were to start over I would use a larger capacity truck, most likely a 3/4 ton.

Thanks for the reply.

Can I ask the reasons why you would have rather had a 3/4 ton truck? I'm looking at older 3/4's with diesels that have around 180,000 miles, while also looking at V6 4x4's that have around 90,000 miles. The cost is about the same for each, the gas mileage would be around the same, and the remaining life on the engines would be about the same as well. I can go either way, at this point, but I'm curious to hear your reasoning.

The smaller trucks can't carry as much and need suspension/tire upgrades.

While I'm comfortable and load and drive the truck accordingly, I think a larger (size and load capacity) vehicle would work better for me. Last year, 3 of us went in my truck. The camper wasn't a big issue, but the passengers riding in the back seats weren't comfortable. The third person had their gear, and we had to carry extra food, water and beer, so it was squishy.

Having the larger truck would have been easier and more comfortable for me. Talk to 10 people and you will get 10 different opinions. Just a personal preference.

I started with a 1/2 ton truck and graduated to a 3/4 ton. You will be much happier with a larger truck that was designed to carry (and stop) the load.

The Frontier V6s can handle the weight of a shell model 4Wheel popup plus lots of gear without any added suspension mods. We have an 08 with an eagle shell model and it rides better with the camper than empty. They are sprung stiffly and there is minimal squat with the camper on and everything we need for a week or two (including whitewater raft, frame, cooler, etc). I like that I can get the smaller truck through some tight spots, Dedeckera canyon in Death Valley is one spot I've been where a full size would be a tough squeeze.

It's all in the loading. You have to think about what you are going to carry when using a smaller truck with an Eagle or Bobcat. With a 3/4 ton, less worry about over loading. You will find more variety of campers available used for a 3/4 ton. You pays your money and takes your choice. Repairs on a used diesel? Used gasser? Resale values??

I turned around in Dedeckera in my Tacoma, but I was playing it safe. I have Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on my Tacoma and they were great and were easy to install, cost about $230 I think. I did not get the automatic air system, I just fill the bags with a bike pump, very easy/simple/cheap. I like how you can fill them to whatever PSI you want, so when you are not carrying a load, things are not so stiff.

A few of my thoughts:
-If this truck will be your daily driver, the smaller trucks are easier.

-Smaller trucks/campers are going to, in general, be more capable off road.

-I have heard the the Frontier has the same frame as the Titan, don't know for sure.

-First generation Tacomas (late '90s to '04) have a weakeness in the frame that a long camper could stress.
http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_28&products_id=98

-First generation Tacomas can have frame rust issues and Toyota has replaced some frames. You would want to make sure you are buying one with a good frame, if you go that route.

-You can run a diesel on vegetable oil and biodiesel.

-I would put a pretty high emphasis on reliability, if you are going on long distance, back country trips.

Finally, I see commercials on TV for new Ranger 4x4 V6 for something like $18,000. Seems really cheap. I would imagine your money goes a long way in used Ranger. Just about every small truck review says the Tacoma is superior with the Frontier close behind and the rest are way back, something to keep in mind.

Let us know what you decide on.

I turned around in Dedeckera in my Tacoma, but I was playing it safe. I have Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on my Tacoma and they were great and were easy to install, cost about $230 I think. I did not get the automatic air system, I just fill the bags with a bike pump, very easy/simple/cheap. I like how you can fill them to whatever PSI you want, so when you are not carrying a load, things are not so stiff.

A few of my thoughts:
-If this truck will be your daily driver, the smaller trucks are easier.

-Smaller trucks/campers are going to, in general, be more capable off road.

-I have heard the the Frontier has the same frame as the Titan, don't know for sure.

-First generation Tacomas (late '90s to '04) have a weakeness in the frame that a long camper could stress.
http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_28&products_id=98

-First generation Tacomas can have frame rust issues and Toyota has replaced some frames. You would want to make sure you are buying one with a good frame, if you go that route.

-You can run a diesel on vegetable oil and biodiesel.

-I would put a pretty high emphasis on reliability, if you are going on long distance, back country trips.

Finally, I see commercials on TV for new Ranger 4x4 V6 for something like $18,000. Seems really cheap. I would imagine your money goes a long way in used Ranger. Just about every small truck review says the Tacoma is superior with the Frontier close behind and the rest are way back, something to keep in mind.

Let us know what you decide on.

Great advice, thank you everyone.

Thanks for the warnings about the Tacomas. My brother got a 2003 a couple years back with 58,000 miles, and it was only 10k. I can't find any with less than 100,000 miles in my price range. I'm thinking that I will run into this a lot with gassers, which is why I am still considering a diesel. Even if I got one with 200,000 miles, I'll probably still get more life out of it than if I bought a gasser with 100,000 miles.

Truth be told, I'd like to stay away from Toyota if possible. I know they make good stuff, but the dishonest way they dealt with their quality control issues was kind of a turn off for me. I'd like to give Nissan a shot, or even Mazda or Ford.

The main attraction I have right now to a smaller truck is that, like others have said, you can go into certain areas easier with a smaller, lighter truck. That canyon you guys mentioned would definitely be a fun place to try out my off roading skills. Getting a full size truck through there would be tough...

I'll keep doing my research and let you know what I decide.

Back
Top Bottom