Will it work Ranger on a T100 4 cyl

Roger

I have a 1997 Toyota T100 4 cyl 2.7ltr (4x2) (150 HP, same as the 93 V6) with an 8 foot bed. It has 60K on it, it is "just" getting broken in. It has recently been checked out by a great shop, new belts, new hoses, new tires. It has, even in overdrive, lots of power for what it is, out of overdrive it has lots of power and lots of engine braking. I am having 1500lb overload springs put on the rear.

I want a ranger at with a dry load out of about 890 lbs out of 1100 lbs "cargo" and out of my GVW of 5000 the curb of my truck and this will take up to 4300 lbs. I know I will not speeding when I travel with this camper :rolleyes:. I will also NOT be four wheeling, I will be happy to make it up steep hills (think "Tioga Pass Road" at 20mph (speed limit) and may be up to 60 on the freeways and at up to 15 over "unpaved" roads.

Will this combo work or am I spinning my wheels? Can't sell the truck now, maybe later a nice 8 foot tundra :love:

thanks in advance.

Roger

I do not know about the bed issues you may have with the Tundra and I suggest you ask Four Wheel or All Terrain what there experience is as far as that goes. In regard to the 4 cyl 2.7 engine, I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 std cab with the 4 cyl 2.7 carrying a fully loaded ATC Bobcat and yes it does work,but you aint going to be going 45 up Tioga pass without pushing it if at all. I was on the back side of Tioga a few weeks ago going about 15-20 miles an hour. Yes, the 2.7 4 cyl is a little work horse engine and it works, but it would be nice to have a little more power.

For all my opinion is worth and you know what opinions are worth.

Darryl

Thanks! I was clearing a path for a place to store the Ranger today. I had to make a couple of runs to the dump and one run was about 900 lbs of iceplant and palm tree. Needless to say the T100 handled well and didn't lag on the couple of hills to the dump. It did sag a bit in the back, but no too bad. I'll make sure I get those overload springs. Yeah, 45 up Tioga would probably be pushing it. I need to call AWC tomorrow and get my order in. I am not so worried about the bed issue as I do not plan on 4 wheeling, just camping.
Thanks!

Roger

I do not know about the bed issues you may have with the Tundra and I suggest you ask Four Wheel or All Terrain what there experience is as far as that goes. In regard to the 4 cyl 2.7 engine, I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 std cab with the 4 cyl 2.7 carrying a fully loaded ATC Bobcat and yes it does work,but you aint going to be going 45 up Tioga pass without pushing it if at all. I was on the back side of Tioga a few weeks ago going about 15-20 miles an hour. Yes, the 2.7 4 cyl is a little work horse engine and it works, but it would be nice to have a little more power.

For all my opinion is worth and you know what opinions are worth.

Darryl

Ranger on a 2000 4 cylinder Tacoma. Sometimes I with I had v6 power.... Then I buy gas.

Attachments

• ebay 596.jpg
    ebay 596.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 429
Thanks, that is what I was looking for! What options do you have/how much does the ranger weigh? Do you have air bags or helper springs?
I agree about the power vs. price of gas.

Roger

Ranger on a 2000 4 cylinder Tacoma. Sometimes I with I had v6 power.... Then I buy gas.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for! What options do you have/how much does the ranger weigh? Do you have air bags or helper springs?
I agree about the power vs. price of gas.

Roger

I don't have a fridge... Just an icebox... I've got a battery and a porta pot in the front storage, I carry a propane grill and a campstove under the couch, Its got an awning on the side and a screen door. I usually carry about 100 lbs of stuff on top. When I'm all loaded up for a few days of skiing with one passenger I weigh in at about 5300 lbs... Thats 200lbs over the gvw. I've got airbags in back and new (nothin' fancy) shocks all around. BFG All Terrain AT's inflated to about 45lbs. I can go about 70 on the freeway, but often have to shift down to third (approx 4500 rpm) going up big hills. It's a 2.7 litre engine and I've carried some obscenely heavy loads with it. I abused my last toyota truck in the same way and it needed a new clutch at about 200,000 miles and had 305,000 miles when I sold it. Yeah, it takes me a little more time going up hill, but a weekend trip of about 250 miles cost me about $35 in gas, while some of my friends with their big rigs and V8's spend $100's. I think the T-100 has the same 2.7 litre engine, but probably a little higher gvw. From what you've said, I think you'll be quite happy with the Ranger. Here's a pic of my last camper which I never weighed, but I'm guessing it weighed about a ton. I broke airbags regularly until I got the Ranger.

Attachments

• ebay 558.jpg
    ebay 558.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 190
Don't know much about Toyota specifically, but some general comments: does the 4cyl model have the same brakes as the 6cyl? Might be different wheel cylinders you might want to look at. Likewise the 6's might have slightly wider wheels which would allow you to go to a slightly wider tire which might help too. Good luck with your project. -Vic

Right now I am riding on some 235 75 R15 truck tires. No so sure about the brakes, but I am sure they are the same as the V6 model 2x4.

Don't know much about Toyota specifically, but some general comments: does the 4cyl model have the same brakes as the 6cyl? Might be different wheel cylinders you might want to look at. Likewise the 6's might have slightly wider wheels which would allow you to go to a slightly wider tire which might help too. Good luck with your project. -Vic

In case you were on edge of your seats... Yeah it works great!

-Roger

Attachments

• yosemite winter snow.jpg
    yosemite winter snow.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 178
In case you were on edge of your seats... Yeah it works great!

-Roger

Roger,

Great picture! Were you able to get the roof down with all that snow up there??? Or did you have to remove the snow first?

Roger,

Great picture! Were you able to get the roof down with all that snow up there??? Or did you have to remove the snow first?

The first time I lowered it without removing the snow and it was *really heavy*. The second time I used a snow shovel to remove some of the snow from the sides and lowered it and really helped out. Once it was down I kept it down when we were out and it was really easy to clear off in the down position. I tried to not let too much snow accumulate during the day without a clearing it off.

Hope this helps!

Great looking rig Roger!! Looks just like mine! Perfect fit...

Nice T100!

Roger

Back
Top Bottom