Wind noise from a FWC

simply put a rhino rack wind fairing, it works

rf4-wind-fairing-00.jpg

Vic Harder said:
Just installed a wind blocker last week and took it for a quick drive with speeds up to 75mph. Wow. Amazing difference. Pics to follow, but I used a design I spotted here, so nothing new.
What was the amazing difference ? Nois?

Vic....just a thought, you didn't mention any gusset plate inside where the faring is bolted to the camper. If you could install an aluminum plate about a minimum of 6" wide and nearly the distance you can fit it fore and aft, I don't think you will have the bolts pull through.

Remember when you were a kid (before auto AC) and you went down the highway with your hand out the passenger window? As long as it was FLAT you could just about fight the wind at 65/75MPH but as soon as you held it at an angle, the wind wanted to either push it UP or push it DOWN and with the faring in that position it will want to force the two forwar bolts DOWN and that would be through the camper where they are bolted.

If you have solved that problem, they you are good to go...but I do like the looks of that Rhino Rack since I believe it is anchored to the roof rain gutters and if you don't have too much camper overhang of the cab and can fit it there it might be enough to make a difference in the air noise and give you a few teaspoons better gas mileage as wind resistance is cut.

PackRat said:
Vic....just a thought, you didn't mention any gusset plate inside where the faring is bolted to the camper. If you could install an aluminum plate about a minimum of 6" wide and nearly the distance you can fit it fore and aft, I don't think you will have the bolts pull through.

Remember when you were a kid (before auto AC) and you went down the highway with your hand out the passenger window? As long as it was FLAT you could just about fight the wind at 65/75MPH but as soon as you held it at an angle, the wind wanted to either push it UP or push it DOWN and with the faring in that position it will want to force the two forwar bolts DOWN and that would be through the camper where they are bolted.

If you have solved that problem, they you are good to go...but I do like the looks of that Rhino Rack since I believe it is anchored to the roof rain gutters and if you don't have too much camper overhang of the cab and can fit it there it might be enough to make a difference in the air noise and give you a few teaspoons better gas mileage as wind resistance is cut.
hmmm... that would interfere with the slide out bed... not to mention being a big lump under the mattress. BUT, you have me concerned about strength. Having that rip off would be a major downer.

That said, I copied what others had done, BUT without knowing how they anchored it inside the camper. Can anyone speak to that?

Vic

Vic,

Hard for me to see your photo in much detail (just had cataract surgery over the past two weeks), however...

Examine the very front, inside of your cab over, pull the front cushions towards the back about half a foot or so. You can probably pull the fabric material back from the aluminium metal "C" channel that makes the front of the cab over (it might be just shoved into that space, not glued in place), and then you can determine where you can put another bolt, up into the bottom edge of the aluminium metal "C" channel from the bracket.

Any downwards force of the air fairing, will pivot around that front, very secure bolt into the bottom edge of the aluminium metal "C" channel and force the rear of the air fairing bracket UP and into the bottom of the cab over. And, it won't interfere with the operation of the pull out bed.

Keep your other screws attaching the bracket in place and nothing will move.

Unless your bracket fails just in front of the bolt up into the bottom of the aluminium metal "C" channel from the bracket.

Alley-Kat, I was just having an nap and that same idea occurred to me! Nice to have the verification.

And so thanks, I will do that.

Yeah, get some attachment points into some metal.

You may want to figure out something to put on the bottom of the wind fairing to cushion the top of the cab of the truck, in case the downward forces decide to bend the wind fairing downward. Maybe a piece of thin wall, hot water pipe insulation? Or, maybe some wetsuit material?, Something soft that will normally ride above the top of the truck cab and only come into play with a downward force of air on the wind fairing.

Alley-Kat said:
Yeah, get some attachment points into some metal.

You may want to figure out something to put on the bottom of the wind fairing to cushion the top of the cab of the truck, in case the downward forces decide to bend the wind fairing downward. Maybe a piece of thin wall, hot water pipe insulation? Or, maybe some wetsuit material?, Something soft that will normally ride above the top of the truck cab and only come into play with a downward force of air on the wind fairing.
Good thought. A pool noodle sliced down its length is waiting to be installed!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject.
I purchased a Yakima roof rack and wind fairing hoping to decrease my wind noise. But the fairing made the noise worse!
It created a howling noise that was not there before.

Now I do believe it is just my situation, but now I have a useless fairing setup for my 2013 Chevy Silverado.

If anybody out there would like to take it off my hands for $200 plus shipping ( I paid $300 ). I would be happy to send it to them. It was only used once.

Fairing on truck 1.JPGFairing alone.JPG

Sunsurfer what you have is part way there. The reason you have increased noise is the plastic part is too short. The air as it flows over it will tip in on the back side. Combine that with the square flat face of the camper where the air is still hitting is also being pulled down behind the faring. What you can call dirty air.

If you are good with still using the rack mounted you can source a sheet of material that is uv protected that will climb from behind the windshield to 3/4 or so up the face of the camper. The more you can get the air to flow up and over will prevent water, air and dirt into the gap between roof and camper siding. You would need to be creative on making brackets to attach to the bar.

Sunsurfer said:
First of all, I would like to thank everyone for their input on this subject.
I purchased a Yakima roof rack and wind fairing hoping to decrease my wind noise. But the fairing made the noise worse!
It created a howling noise that was not there before.

Now I do believe it is just my situation, but now I have a useless fairing setup for my 2013 Chevy Silverado.

If anybody out there would like to take it off my hands for $200 plus shipping ( I paid $300 ). I would be happy to send it to them. It was only used once.

attachicon.gif
Fairing on truck 1.JPG
attachicon.gif
Fairing alone.JPG
I think if you wrap the roof rack with thick plastic foam or cloth, the noise may disappear

pvstoy said:
Sunsurfer what you have is part way there. The reason you have increased noise is the plastic part is too short. The air as it flows over it will tip in on the back side. Combine that with the square flat face of the camper where the air is still hitting is also being pulled down behind the faring. What you can call dirty air.

If you are good with still using the rack mounted you can source a sheet of material that is uv protected that will climb from behind the windshield to 3/4 or so up the face of the camper. The more you can get the air to flow up and over will prevent water, air and dirt into the gap between roof and camper siding. You would need to be creative on making brackets to attach to the bar.
+1 on this. Too short, and/or too close to the camper.

My Northstar pushes a fair bit of wind but nothing severe in the noise department.
I really like the nosecone that Phoenix uses. Some variation of that would benefit all popups.

12valve said:
2005 Regular cab 4x4 Long Bed truck. I have a FWC camper and the wind noise that it generates is far too loud. I am sure it is coming from the area where the camper sticks out from the side of the cab and the space behind the cab and camper itself. Has anybody else had (have) this experience? Is there anything I can do. It really makes freeway driving for long distances a bummer.
I get a loud thumping noise from air if I'm doing 80 mph and strong wind gusts hit the camper

Vic Harder said:
Nice fit. Did they custom design it that tight?
tight fit looks good but does it leave room for movement if you do any offroading that will torgue the bed to roll over the cab?

Vic Harder said:
+1 on this. Too short, and/or too close to the camper.
I'm not sure I agree. I made a wind fairing for my camper and the noise got worse as well. Not a lot worse, but worse. No more bugs on the front of the camper behind the cab though. I post a picture of mine tomorrow.

Attachments

• P1030387.JPG
    P1030387.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 97
  • P1030386.JPG
    P1030386.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 95
  • P1030388.JPG
    P1030388.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 87
I like that DIY model.Would a sticky solar panel work there?

Maybe have it removable by inserting the frame into square channel steel attached to the camper?

Have a similar square tube mount in rear above door for different solar angle, and awning.Also for rear mount storage off pavement where the tight to roof fit my be a concern for roof damage.

Solar Panel/wind deflector could also be used for portable solar while camping in shade.

cwdtmmrs said:
I'm not sure I agree. I made a wind fairing for my camper and the noise got worse as well. Not a lot worse, but worse. No more bugs on the front of the camper behind the cab though. I post a picture of mine tomorrow.
I made one like that before the current model. You are correct, it was way worse for noise. The roof tin-canned something terrible!

Chrish said:
I like that DIY model.Would a sticky solar panel work there?

Maybe have it removable by inserting the frame into square channel steel attached to the camper?

Have a similar square tube mount in rear above door for different solar angle, and awning.Also for rear mount storage off pavement where the tight to roof fit my be a concern for roof damage.

Solar Panel/wind deflector could also be used for portable solar while camping in shade.
There is at least one user on the forum who has a PV panel mounted where I have my fairing.

Back
Top Bottom