Window tint for security?

RisingSun

Few weeks ago while I was having lunch with my customer, someone broke into my truck and took my business Backpack, PC, IPad and other item that I collected for my business like business card case I used it for over 15 years.. I miss the card case more than my new laptop...

This was my second incident. First was my old 88 Toyota Van, I was student back then. The car was recovered several days later after 15m police chase and they found needles and drugs inside.

This time they smash my window and took my business back pack.
ImageUploadedByWander The West1479651263.705990.jpg

I talked to local police and they told me that probably they were watching me hiding my backpack so exactly they know which window to break.

It was my mistake that I got out out my car and put my backpack rear seat and hide it.. I was watched all the time letting them know what I have..

From now on I will not leave my business items in the car.

But problem is that when I am on the road with my camper, I can not take everything... so I researched a bit.

Found out window tint may be the answer. See the video.
https://youtu.be/wRbqqiFjiag

Called local auto glass shop and they told me that cost will be $250-500 depend on the film. I think this is cheap insurance to protect your truck and camper. I always thought tint was to make window darker, not for security..

I will be putting clear tint for my back window as I have already factory tint. Front window I will install dark tint to match the back.

I'm sorry that the idiots got your business materials! The security film looks interesting, I wonder how durable it is... Does it scratch? What's the lifespan?

Sorry to hear about the break-in. I hate to hear these stories. I have tinted windows on my Tundra and it really does keep things less visible. I pulled the 2/3 bench seat out of my double cab and built-in a cabinet that locks. I throw whatever I don't want to lose in there whether I'm running around town,out hiking or backpacking. A determined person can break-in to anything but I feel more secure than just having things laying in the back. cabinet - 1.jpg

Some interesting reading at Tint Laws.

Including "Window Tint Ticket For Interstate Travel" (read the text on the web page).

Plus the law for each state in the U.S. on the menu list on the left of the web page (covers windshield, front side, rear side, and rear windows).

What a lousy experience. I must admit I've done the same thing: Park, dismount, open the driver's side back door, stow valuables out of sight behind the driver's seat and invisible due to having very dark-tinted back door windows. I never thought about being watched as I did so.

It appears the tint in the video has some sort of ballistic properties such that the window doesn't shatter so easily. I assume a particular type of application has these properties as opposed to routine tint applications.

The tint laws are good to know. My truck was bought new in Texas and came to me in NC from a Virginia dealership specializing in used Texas diesel trucks. I'd gotten at least two annual inspections here in NC before the next one came to me and said "your driver's and front passenger's tint is too dark under NC law". I had to have it removed and re-tinted at a lighter level. Back door and rear windows were not restricted in NC at that time.

Foy

Thanks! Shops told me that WA allow 24%, but did not think about other states. Very good to know. I looked at states that I am planning to travel. Alaska has the most strict regulation, 70%.

I guess I will put 70% tint (may be 50%) for my front window. Rear windows are dark enough, so likely I will put clear film.

My goal isn't really to have dark tint, I want windows that don't shatter, so they don't break my windows to steal my items, potentially my truck.

The general rule as to motor vehicles is "if you're legal in your home state, you're legal in any other state". This applies pointedly to the widely varying state requirements as to towed vehicles, trailer brakes, etc. I'd be a bit surprised if the degree of window tint would be such a matter that you could be cited for having a darker tint while in a state you're visiting so long as it is allowed in the state where your vehicle is licensed and inspected. As strict as CA is on emissions inspection, my US Navy son was able to pass CA inspection with his 49-state pickup truck since he maintained his NC residency and truck registration while based at Port Hueneme. Home state compliance ruled then.

Foy

Can vouch for regular tint from keeping the window more or less intact and not allowing them into the vehicle. Did NOT stop them from breaking the window.

Yeh, it will make it more difficult to get in. You'll still get a broken window, but less glass to deal with and they might leave because of the noise of multiple attempts to fully break the glass.

Probably better off putting the money towards a good alarm. One with a proximity sensor that will chip when someone is near, but not fully go off.

Thats a bummer on what happened for sure. Ive been putting tint on all my vehicles for years, its one of the first things I do when I buy a new vehicle. I do it for the heat and sun exposure but I also like knowing it makes it that much more difficult to see inside. The reality is a thief is a thief whether or not you have tint but i'd like to think it helps.

Heres to this being the last incident for you!

3m holds the pattent on reactive films. A good friend runs a shop that installs it. He buys it by the roll and uses a chart plotter to cut templated pieces for each model car etc.

We talked about the glass reactive film. He said its really amazing stuff, typically installed on shop/store windows. He said the only negative is that it has poor abrasive durability. He said every few yrs on a car especially on windows run up and down you would develop very clear abrasion marking that wouldn't look all that nice. But he said from a anti theft stand point it will confuse and pretty much deter your typical smash and grab punk. Good friend just had the same thing happen, criminals simply sit and watch then smash and grab. Popular CA surf spots the local surfers started installing gun safes in their cars and simply leaving the car unlocked with keys and wallet etc stowed in the locked gun safe. Given the crooks would even take their whole car after watching where the keys were stashed prior to the surfer hitting the surf.

Back
Top Bottom