Winter in Wyoming

Very good pics and story line about what Wyoming is like in March. It takes a local to tell it like it is. Have you thought of writing kids books with cell phone photos? You are a natural. Your kids could give you input.

I spent a week in Jackson Hole last late May and june, still snow on the Tetons and along the road in places in Yellowstone. I was on a photography workshop.

You will really enjoy Southern Utah. Hubby and I spent 3 weeks there last October. If you don't like crowds, avoid Zion and Bryce. We preferred Grand Staircase, Capitol Reef National Park and the San Rafael Swell. The kids will enjoy the gnomes at Goblin Valley State Park north of Hanksville. Lots of BLM land to boondock on. But, Zion and Bryce are beautiful and shouldn't be missed. Avoid weekends and get out there early to avoid the busloads disgorging tourists from all over the world. Your kids may enjoy all the languages being spoken. At times we were the only ones who spoke Englsih.

You can see some Utah photos here:

Tetons/Jackson here:

Being from Montana and living in Denver, I often travel through Wyoming. What I like best about the cowboy state is the lack of population and the wide open spaces. A refreshing change from what the front range has become.

Favorite Wyoming things: Beartooth and Dead Indian Passes, Lamar Valley and No Panties Wednesday in Huleutt.
Least favorite things: wind and WHP.

Two questions KC: Any hints on that hot springs on the Gros Ventre, past the slide? and when is that gathering up in Polebridge, MT?

Ha! Polebridge... man, I need to get back there someday. I miss those Huckleberry bearclaws. The "big" music festival is called 'Aurorafest' and it's usually in the 3rd week of August. A long, rough ride in but so worth it. I doubt we'll make it this summer, other plans then, but if you're near Glacier NP at all, it's worth the drive up to Polebridge and Kintla Lake. Spectacular!

Here's a recent write up (with pics) from the New York Times of all places, about the Granite Hot Springs at the end of the Gros Ventre road.

Thanks again folks for the comments & replies. It did snow again yesterday, but it should melt off soon... Spring is trying, my crabapple tree is starting to bud and the winds are picking up. Good signs. Our Utah trip will fall on Easter weekend, which I believe is also a 'fee-free entry' weekend to most national parks, so we won't go anywhere near one, but rather to some favorite lesser known nooks & crannies between Bluff & Boulder. Paved roads are not part of our itinerary. :cool:

Suni, you rock. You wanna come to Utah with me? I need a professional mixologist on board...

Would love to KC but we just got back from 4 days in DV and I've got some camper issues to resolve (of which I'll post about separately) before we head out again. As we both keep saying, "one of these days".

Back
Top Bottom