Winter Solstice 2013

We're on track for a record setting dry spell in NM. Where I live, there's still some patchy snow on north facing slopes, but there isn't much water there, and the south facing slopes are pretty dry, with trees that already look stressed. There's a fire weather advisory out today for parts of NM and TX. If it keeps up like this, there's little doubt they'll have to close the Lincoln NF at some point. The long term forecast gives a chance of precip in February. Fingers crossed.

This satellite view from a few minutes ago looks promising, at least...for some of us:
VIS4_20140126-1.gif

And the latest forecast for the Bend, Oregon, area confirms the promise:
weather_20140126-1.jpg

At point anything is good. Snow would be good but I wouldn't complain if a series of wet and warm storms came in either.

Bend is relatively arid -- just 12" of water-equivalent precip annually, so we rarely get much. But a forecast of several days of moisture here means there should/could be significant snowfall in the Cascades 20 miles to the west.
At least we have some reason for optimism. :)

Freezing rain in central Oregon this morning -- the worst precipitation there is! Everything -- including roads -- coated with ice. :( With the current temperature at 26°F it doesn't look like it'll turn to liquid rain anytime soon...
Oh well... it is precipitation, at least. ;)

Winter Storm Watch
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA
340 AM PST TUE JAN 28 2014

CAZ068-069-290000-
/O.NEW.KSTO.WS.A.0001.140130T0600Z-140131T1200Z/
WESTERN PLUMAS COUNTY/LASSEN PARK-
WEST SLOPE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA-
340 AM PST TUE JAN 28 2014

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH
LATE THURSDAY NIGHT ABOVE 6000 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SACRAMENTO HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WATCH FOR WESTERN PLUMAS COUNTY AND THE WEST SLOPES OF THE
NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA ABOVE 6000 FEET...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM
WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS: HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS. EXPECT CHAIN REQUIREMENTS
  AND POSSIBLE DELAYS.

* CONFIDENCE: MODERATE.

* TIMING: LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: LASSEN NATIONAL PARK...I-80 OVER DONNER
  PASS...HIGHWAY 50 OVER ECHO SUMMIT...HIGHWAY 88 OVER CARSON PASS
  AND RECREATIONAL SKI AREAS ALONG THE NORTHERN SIERRA CREST.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 8 TO 12 INCHES ALONG THE NORTHERN SIERRA
  CREST WITH UP TO 6 INCHES POSSIBLE DOWN TO AROUND 6000 FEET.

* FOR A DETAILED VIEW OF THE HAZARD AREA...VISIT
  HTTP://WWW.WEATHER.GOV/SACRAMENTO/HAZARDS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT
SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL.
CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

You know Ski,they keep threatening us with some weather.I hope we get it this time.
Here along the central coast it's like chicken little,they keep telling us the sky is falling but it just doesn't come about ,gets hard to believe there might be some rain.
We will see come Wednesday night ,Thursday morning.
I'll start the "rain"dance soon.
Frank

Well, I shouldn't complain...it is precipitation...but it's been raining all night -- not snowing -- even at high elevations.
Here's the early-morning report from local ski area Mt. Bachelor (the base is at 6300' elevation):

6:00 AM Report: It appears Mother Nature played a mean trick on us as temperatures remained in the 40's all night. It has now dropped down to 37 and it is steadily raining. The good news is that temperatures have been steadily dropping over the last hour and the forecast says snow is coming. As far as operations go for today, a lot is still unknown. Check back at 7:30 for more information.

6:20 AM Update: Due to the overnight rain saturating the runs, expect minimal grooming today. We have put Outback on hold for the time being as the snow is especially soft in that area. As expected, temperatures have continued to drop sharply since 5:00 am, and are forecast to continue to drop throughout the morning. On-mountain crews are reporting that precipitation at higher elevations is already starting to turn over. Check back frequently for updates.

So...I don't think I'll be doing any birthday skiing today -- maybe tomorrow.

Local weather forecast by "City, St" or zip code

2 products issued by NWS for:
More Sharing ServicesShare|Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on printShare on gmail

Winter Storm Warning
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RENO NV
330 AM PST WED JAN 29 2014

CAZ072-NVZ002-300000-
/O.UPG.KREV.WS.A.0001.140130T0600Z-140131T1200Z/
/O.NEW.KREV.WS.W.0001.140130T0600Z-140131T1200Z/
GREATER LAKE TAHOE AREA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SOUTH LAKE TAHOE...TRUCKEE...
INCLINE VILLAGE
330 AM PST WED JAN 29 2014

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM
PST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS
EVENING TO 4 AM PST FRIDAY.

* TIMING: MODERATE TO HEAVY RAINS AND HIGH ELEVATION SNOW WILL
DEVELOP IN THE NORTHERN SIERRA THIS AFTERNOON, CHANGING OVER TO
SNOW EARLY THURSDAY MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: NEAR TWO FEET ABOVE 8000 FEET...ONE FOOT OR
MORE ABOVE 7000 FEET...AND AROUND 6 INCHES AT LAKE TAHOE LEVEL.
SNOW FORECASTS BELOW 7000 FEET ARE LOWER CONFIDENCE DUE TO
UNCERTAINTIES WITH WHEN SNOW LEVELS DROP THURSDAY MORNING.

* SNOW LEVELS: 8000-9000 FEET TODAY, DROPPING TO 7000 FEET AROUND
MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, AND TO LAKE TAHOE LEVEL AROUND DAYBREAK
THURSDAY MORNING.

* WINDS: SOUTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH. GUSTS
ON THE SIERRA RIDGES TO 70 MPH TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS: TRAVEL OVER THE SIERRA AND AROUND LAKE TAHOE IS LIKELY
TO BE IMPACTED BY PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW LATE TONIGHT AND ALL DAY
THURSDAY. EXPECT DELAYS...AND CONSIDER PLANNING ALTERNATE ROUTES
OR ADJUST TRAVEL TIMES TO AVOID THE HEAVY SNOW. I-80 OVER DONNER
PASS AND HIGHWAY 50 OVER ECHO PASS WILL BE IMPACTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

it looks like we're getting the first warning for the year. I think it time to put the road bike away and find the skis!!!!

It's still in the 50's here-way to warm for normal times :unsure: but it's supposed to rain/snow in Chester today and the storm with snow is supposed to hit us tonight here in Susanville. We are supposed to get 6-12 " of snow here-we'll see and hope for the best! As you can tell, I've held off my trip to the coast until Friday/Saturday. I just unloaded the frig/freezer but will leave the rest of the gear in the truck, so I can just run when there is an opening to the west. Hope this isn't a semi-hi-jack, but I left the freezer on 21/2 instead of the usual 3-3 1/2 the other day when I packed the truck up, and some of the meat was starting to thaw when I unloaded it today, :oops: -maybe the door was open a crack, but ice trays where still frozen and temp was still in the low 30's or so, should be still okay, but called Terry at FWC to check, said should be okay ! Another 70 thing I guess. :D Now the sun is showing here and it is still warm! Come on snow :D

Smoke!

1220 and it's raining :p ! But it is still warm out there-so I guess something happening is better than nothing happening and if we get half of what they say we may get, I'll be a happy fellow :D !

Smoke

1236 Mr. Smoke and raining here, everything is wet! Temperature is 47° so starting with real high snow level. Maybe snow here the tail end of the storm Thursday.

Light rain here. Puppies are seeing their first rain. Don't know quite what to make of it. Maybe I'll have a chance to show Riley some snow yet.

Back
Top Bottom