Winter Solstice Trip - December 2021

A wonderful trip report, Julie’s knees did well, Ted was feeling better (very good news), and I learned a new definition for cat house. Thanks for sharing, thanks for the vicarious journey! :)

"cat house" indeed. Should have guessed such a reference would pop up after mentioning that the Wildcat Ranch was a favorite landmark (not stopover!) along the way... ;-)

Great minds!

We left on Friday the 17th and also chose NV 95 instead of 395 with chain controls. We were just a day ahead of you, using 360 over Montgomery Pass. We kept going to Big Pine and over North Pass to Saline Valley, but that's another story.

We also photographed the rising moon and flying military hardware, but from the other side of the Inyo range. Really cool you met up with the Ted's for Panamint Valley. We were there later that week.

Finally, we also were at Benton Hot Springs but at sites #2 and #4 on Wednesday and Thursday last week. We were coming home and passing through Tonopah, with Hwy 80 closed and thought, "why not check for an opening at Benton?"
BINGO!

I would try to write up a TR, but our home is still without power after eight days. I'm typing this on generator power, but with Comcast internet. Strange world. It's been over 18 days since we've had line voltage, living on 12v batteries and NG powered generator.

You guys sure have a knack for finding those petroglyphs. In all my wanderings, I've only found two, one in Death Valley NP and one in KOFA. Years ago I encountered those cowboy petroglyphs you pictured in one of your KOFA TR and I completely missed the native ones almost adjacent to them. I did 'find' them on a later hike.
Are you suggesting you consistently followed your dad's advice or that he was just prescient?
Thanks for the great TR.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
A wonderful trip report, Julie’s knees did well, Ted was feeling better (very good news), and I learned a new definition for cat house. Thanks for sharing, thanks for the vicarious journey! :)
Thanks Mr. Sage! We were so glad to be able to get Ted out into some rougher country. :)

Vic Harder said:
"cat house" indeed. Should have guessed such a reference would pop up after mentioning that the Wildcat Ranch was a favorite landmark (not stopover!) along the way... ;-)
Vic, thanks for the nice comment! We get such a kick out of those columns around the Wildcat Ranch we couldn't resist cat house. :)

Lighthawk said:
Great minds!

We left on Friday the 17th and also chose NV 95 instead of 395 with chain controls. We were just a day ahead of you, using 360 over Montgomery Pass. We kept going to Big Pine and over North Pass to Saline Valley, but that's another story.

We also photographed the rising moon and flying military hardware, but from the other side of the Inyo range. Really cool you met up with the Ted's for Panamint Valley. We were there later that week.

Finally, we also were at Benton Hot Springs but at sites #2 and #4 on Wednesday and Thursday last week. We were coming home and passing through Tonopah, with Hwy 80 closed and thought, "why not check for an opening at Benton?"
BINGO!

I would try to write up a TR, but our home is still without power after eight days. I'm typing this on generator power, but with Comcast internet. Strange world. It's been over 18 days since we've had line voltage, living on 12v batteries and NG powered generator.
Yes, Lighthawk we experienced east siders do tend to think alike! :)

Great that you and SR were able to score two nights at Benton!

We are looking forward to your tale of solstice adventure!

Comcast is our provider also but around here their backup batteries to run the system last almost exactly three hours after PG&E goes out. No need to ask us how we know. :) Many around here are still waiting for power to be restored. We hope are back on the grid soon!

dr.tucson said:
You guys sure have a knack for finding those petroglyphs. In all my wanderings, I've only found two, one in Death Valley NP and one in KOFA. Years ago I encountered those cowboy petroglyphs you pictured in one of your KOFA TR and I completely missed the native ones almost adjacent to them. I did 'find' them on a later hike.
Are you suggesting you consistently followed your dad's advice or that he was just prescient?
Thanks for the great TR.
Thanks dr. tucson for the kind comment! As you find more and more rock art sites you do develop a knack for where to look. Keep at it and it will come. Of course, this is something my Dad taught me so many years ago. :)

Good to hear Ted is doing well. Long hikes for Julie is a big achievement. I am walking a mile a day. Yesterday the knee swelled and had to ice for the first time in a while. Looking forward to spring time and trips again.

yur dad had some great advice there. and good for u to follow. i should have met the fellow before first wife..... but found way to current partner, whom you dad would give me 2 thumbs up.

Thanks Monte.Just now reading your TR.
Our friends that live around the corner from you sent photos of the snow at Christmas.
That's a lot of snow,just like the old days.

Your home photos remind us of the many Christmas's we spent at our Dorrington
cabin.Many feet of snow and no power.Great fun. Good thing we had a wood stove to cook on
and heat.

So beautiful to see snow around the desert rocks and plants.

What a wonderful way to spend Christmas.
Frank

billharr said:
Good to hear Ted is doing well. Long hikes for Julie is a big achievement. I am walking a mile a day. Yesterday the knee swelled and had to ice for the first time in a while. Looking forward to spring time and trips again.
Thanks Bill and we hope your recovery continues well and gives you relief and great function! You have those grankids to keep up with. :)

goinoregon said:
yur dad had some great advice there. and good for u to follow. i should have met the fellow before first wife..... but found way to current partner, whom you dad would give me 2 thumbs up.
:)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks Monte.Just now reading your TR.
Our friends that live around the corner from you sent photos of the snow at Christmas.
That's a lot of snow,just like the old days.

Your home photos remind us of the many Christmas's we spent at our Dorrington
cabin.Many feet of snow and no power.Great fun. Good thing we had a wood stove to cook on
and heat.

So beautiful to see snow around the desert rocks and plants.

What a wonderful way to spend Christmas.
Frank
Frank, thank you for your kind comments! It is so nice to be prepared and able to settle in with comfort when weather hits.

Thanks for the report - catching up on reports after our own long trip, which is allowing me to stall in writing up our own report. We headed south after that big storm, and swung wide into Nevada to avoid Reno and 395. Impressive snow pics. And best of all, photos from another location in Death Valley. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom