Winter Watch

Talked to my buddy up in Green Valley Lake (San Bernardino Mtns) to see whether I can make it up to check on our cabin. After listening to a minute of laughter, I’ve decided to wait until early next week. 12’ drifts will make it tough to walk the hill up to the front porch. I don’t want to be “one of those guys” even though I’m well equipped to make it up in the truck. Surprisingly, power has not dropped off up there either, in spite of heavy snowfall and ferocious winds. Sorry Ski, I may have just jinxed it also.

This was seen on my gal's Facebook.... Is it not Spring now?

mono.jpg

pvstoy said:
This was seen on my gal's Facebook.... Is it not Spring now?

attachicon.gif
mono.jpg
Our county sheriff is a woman with an interesting sense of humor. What was really funny though was reading the critical comments from local people who judged the joke to be "unprofessional". I know a few of them. I never thought they were very funny either.

IMG_1135.jpeg

I have to climb down to my propane tank.

IMG_1136.jpeg

The cornice behind my shed.

It is 14 degrees this morning.

They have been throwing explosives above the Walker Canyon - we have heard a couple of them.

My truck has been at the bottom of my driveway for two months.

Spring - just like Chukar Partridge, Unicorns and the Tooth Fairy is a myth. Just a myth.

teledork said:
<snip>

Spring - just like Chukar Partridge, Unicorns and the Tooth Fairy is a myth. Just a myth.
Chukar are real, but putting them in the bird bag for me is a myth. The first time you hunt chukar is for the sport, thereafter it’s for revenge.

All the others you mention are in fact myths.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Chukar are real, but putting them in the bird bag for me is a myth. The first time you hunt chukar is for the sport, thereafter it’s for revenge.

All the others you mention are in fact myths.
I've heard that revenge bit about dogs and skunks but yeah - I'd see chukar (on the tops of ridges around here) but my husband could not ever find them when he was hunting.

Can't get to my ski area due to avalanches/road closures so I was enjoying the neighborhood.
IMG_1146.jpeg
cross - county skis and leather boots

IMG_1166.jpeg
fat skis and plastic boots

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
At least you can enjoy skiing at home.
No crowds.
Frank
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=449738&d=1677638524
^ between me and June Mountain. It is going to take a while to clean up. The last time we had enough snow to ski here in Walker was 2011 and my gratitude is boundless for the snow this year (even though shoveling is killing me) If I could not ski I would be insufferable. My housemate would be grateful too if she knew just how insufferable. My neighbors just shake their heads and keep their distance except for the Marine who stopped to tell me nicely done. I don't think anyone saw me fall on my butt in the middle of the street last week.

Ted said:
"fat skis and plastic boots"

I like this one showing the path up and down.
Thanks! That is currently my desktop.

My 30 year old Sorrel boots split open on the side. One hell of a time to be without winter boots but at least I have a lot of wool socks.

teledork said:
My 30 year old Sorrel boots split open on the side. One hell of a time to be without winter boots but at least I have a lot of wool socks.
Bought a pair of Sorrels in 1986 and keeping them in service. Bummer yours has split out as the new ones are not made in Canada anymore and don't last very long. Fixable?

teledork said:

pvstoy said:
Bought a pair of Sorrels in 1986 and keeping them in service. Bummer yours has split out as the new ones are not made in Canada anymore and don't last very long. Fixable?
Julie and I each got a pair of Sorel Chieftains - around 1990 for standing around at SAR incidents and all the times I got corralled into driving snow-cats. They are extreme duty, don't know if they are still sold, but they are still going strong after A LOT of use. We still use them for snow clean up around here. Boy, have they paid for themselves, kind of like that tractor in the little garage.

I sure hope your pair can be repaired or replaced.

pvstoy said:
ski3pin said:
I sure hope your pair can be repaired or replaced.
It is a split in the rubber where the upper meets the sole. So I am awake in the wee hours this morning and I think - bicycle tire patch(s)?And then I look on line and find either Aquaseal or Shoo Goo. Yeah - I'll try and fix them.

Back
Top Bottom