Winter Watch

Stormy morning here...........still snowing. We did minor snow clearing this morning. Julie made sourdough buttermilk cinnamon rolls earlier today. We just got back from our hour long morning walk and will have hot chocolate and a warm cinnamon roll. Julie will bake lasagna this morning and bake cookies in anticipation of the coming power outage. The tractor's fuel tank is full and the two 5 gallon no spill cans are filled with diesel. Time to cuddle up around the hearth, devour the rolls, and watch it snow before the blizzard arrives.

ski3pin said:
Stormy morning here...........still snowing. We did minor snow clearing this morning. Julie made sourdough buttermilk cinnamon rolls earlier today. We just got back from our hour long morning walk and will have hot chocolate and a warm cinnamon roll. Julie will bake lasagna this morning and bake cookies in anticipation of the coming power outage. The tractor's fuel tank is full and the two 5 gallon no spill cans are filled with diesel. Time to cuddle up around the hearth, devour the rolls, and watch it snow before the blizzard arrives.
A mighty fine way to spend a snowed in day!

It's coming,looks like you will have blizzard conditions until Wednesday.
Fun.not much nasty weather here ,spotty sun and wind.Maybe some rain later in the day.
No snow except on the hilltops.
Enjoy the "cuddling".
Frank

ski3pin said:
Bread and cookies baked, pot of pozole made. I'd have my second kitchen in the camper but alas - it has been at the bottom of the driveway for two months now so it'll be the backpacking stove set up in the mudroom to heat soup and tortillas. I was terrified of another dry winter. I need to be careful what I wish for.

teledork said:
Bread and cookies baked, pot of pozole made. I'd have my second kitchen in the camper but alas - it has been at the bottom of the driveway for two months now so it'll be the backpacking stove set up in the mudroom to heat soup and tortillas. I was terrified of another dry winter. I need to be careful what I wish for.
Yum! :)

Yes, but it is sure nice to have a real winter. The other morning on our walk we encountered residents staring at their plow berms in utter horror - deer in headlights stares. One fellow cried out, "I've lived here 3 years and I've never seen snow like this before!" Pilgrims moving to the mountains with complete trust in their real estate agents.

Julie, ever helpful, responded, "You sure better get to digging before it sets up!"

ski3pin said:

Yes, but it is sure nice to have a real winter. The other morning on our walk we encountered residents staring at their plow berms in utter horror - deer in headlights stares. One fellow cried out, "I've lived here 3 years and I've never seen snow like this before!" Pilgrims moving to the mountains with complete trust in their real estate agents.

Julie, ever helpful, responded, "You sure better get to digging before it sets up!"
The Lady tells it like it is. :)

ski3pin said:

"I've lived here 3 years and I've never seen snow like this before!" Pilgrims moving to the mountains with complete trust in their real estate agents.

We hear comments similar to that about our heavy cold foggy days in the summer.
Real estate agents are almost down there with car salesman IMO.

When we had our cabin you would hear comments like " I just shoveled my drive out and that snowplow
just came by and pushed more snow in front of it".

I've heard people say that the county/city whoever should come back and shovel me out.

"People" strange critters.
Frank

Four hours on the tractor with snowblower yesterday and an hour and a half this morning. Still snowing and near whiteout conditions.

Keep the news people at Safeway and the Starbucks inside, good place for them.

.......and we still have power. :)

....probably just jinxed that.

Doing the Ares net last night the Grass Valley guy was on emergency power. Good luck. Just a nice light rain here.

ski3pin said:
Four hours on the tractor with snowblower yesterday and an hour and a half this morning. Still snowing and near whiteout conditions.

Keep the news people at Safeway and the Starbucks inside, good place for them.

.......and we still have power. :)

....probably just jinxed that.
..........whiteout conditions.

One good thing for these conditions should be that CalFire & PG&E should be less likely to work together to kill your power. Mother Nature is likely a bigger threat for power outages unless everyone stays home to charge their EV, eh?

Good luck.
Paul

PaulT said:
One good thing for these conditions should be that CalFire & PG&E should be less likely to work together to kill your power. Mother Nature is likely a bigger threat for power outages unless everyone stays home to charge their EV, eh?

Good luck.
Paul
I can watch the weather forecast and plan for those outages. The problem is when Liberty Utilities fails to notify anyone that the power will be turned off for "maintenance". And then when I try to sign up for text notifications I am told that there is no such account. And not to mention the time Liberty attempted to put our area on generator and plugged the wrong thingy into the wrong thingy and blew up several tens of thousands of dollars worth of well pumps/computers/appliances/etc or the fact that their snapped power line burned down 1/3 of this town in Nov 2020.

Free Yourself From The Plug! Liberty Utilities!
(our power has not gone out this storm cycle - yet)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I've heard people say that the county/city whoever should come back and shovel me out.
My driveway is right at a bend in the road. I had cleared it and took off to ski for the day. When I came home the county plow had decided to use my driveway for snow storage. I left my truck on the side of the street and walked up to the house, climbing over huge ruts and a berm that was about ten feet high and 20 or more feet up my driveway. Early the next morning a friend and retired plow driver up the street was down there cleaning it up with his tractor. He was livid and had called the county and chewed them a few new ones on my behalf. The story was that the driver "didn't know there was a house up there". I started leaving my second vehicle down there after that event and recently told my neighbor that it was like musical chairs - if you don't put something in the space someone else will.

Yeah - I would have called the county and demanded they clean it up if it had not been for my friend.

Back
Top Bottom