Winter Watch

Not a lot of snow (maybe 12 inches) but boy was it wet and the ongoing cold is making things real, uhhm, entertaining? House above me - just moved here from Las Vegas - trying the "drive up and down the driveway to make it all good" after the pick - up with a plow blade slid off the top of the driveway because they were trying to push the heavy glop uphill and did not have chains on. And then they got not one, not two, but three other vehicles stuck until a rancher came out with a backhoe.

And in spite of the fact that a Subaru and a Toyota are parked at the bottom of my driveway the mail lady figured she could make it. She slid backwards, got sideways, hit the well house and knocked the roof off, slid into the Subie and left with a pretty good crease in her SUV. I made a sign that says:

THE WAY IS SHUT!
Seriously, don't even try.
There is a reason our cars are down here!

And the skiing has been wonderful.

teledork said:
Not a lot of snow (maybe 12 inches) but boy was it wet and the ongoing cold is making things real, uhhm, entertaining? House above me - just moved here from Las Vegas - trying the "drive up and down the driveway to make it all good" after the pick - up with a plow blade slid off the top of the driveway because they were trying to push the heavy glop uphill and did not have chains on. And then they got not one, not two, but three other vehicles stuck until a rancher came out with a backhoe.

And in spite of the fact that a Subaru and a Toyota are parked at the bottom of my driveway the mail lady figured she could make it. She slid backwards, got sideways, hit the well house and knocked the roof off, slid into the Subie and left with a pretty good crease in her SUV. I made a sign that says:

THE WAY IS SHUT!

So many Homo sapiens do NOT deserve the "sapien". :rolleyes:

MarkBC said:
What is really absurd is the large number of people who drive up into the mountains in the winter without a shovel. I have seen folks trying to dig out a stuck car using cooking pots, snowboards, used coffee cups, shoes ..........

Yup, this is all daily winter routine around here, watching absurd behavior by so many that should know better. It will never change. My favorite is neighbors who refuse to take a few minutes and dig out snow from their mailbox for deliveries. No, no, no. God will melt it someday. Instead, everyday, they drive to our local post office, stand in line for an hour or more (most everyone in our town is there), and ask for their mail over the counter.

teledork said:

THE WAY IS SHUT!

MarkBC said:

teledork said:
What is really absurd is the large number of people who drive up into the mountains in the winter without a shovel. I have seen folks trying to dig out a stuck car using cooking pots, snowboards, used coffee cups, shoes ..........

AWG_Pics said:
We here in the city know how to do it right!
Yep, things have been wild and crazy in Portland for a long time! :O

I remember seeing this on the local news back in the day.

ski3pin said:
Yup, this is all daily winter routine around here, watching absurd behavior by so many that should know better. It will never change. My favorite is neighbors who refuse to take a few minutes and dig out snow from their mailbox for deliveries. No, no, no. God will melt it someday. Instead, everyday, they drive to our local post office, stand in line for an hour or more (most everyone in our town is there), and ask for their mail over the counter.
When I lived in Tahoe (Meyers) we'd get a flyer with a diagram of exact measurements to clear for mail delivery. Most kept the mailbox in something moveable - often with plastic flowers in a planter of some kind. I still dig out my mailbox here in Walker. Most people don't.

A funny story from a friend up the street - Mono County Sheriff deputy who grew up here came over to borrow her snow shovel because he didn't have one. He got the shovel - he also got schooled by a grandma. Ha!

teledork said:
A funny story from a friend up the street - Mono County Sheriff deputy who grew up here came over to borrow her snow shovel because he didn't have one. He got the shovel - he also got schooled by a grandma. Ha!
:)

The last vehicle recovery - the truck with the plow blade that slid off the driveway above my house - was just completed. Chevy half ton that looks to be better suited for shopping excursions, shiny new plow blade. Was trying to shove extremely wet snow up a rather steep grade. No chains (but they did have a load of firewood falling out of the back - for weight?) I am glad all ended well but I can't stop shaking my head. Physics, anyone?

Physics indeed! I have a tractor (4WD) with logging chains, front loader and a 5' pto snowblower on the back. Have been doing my 850 shared driveway for 30 years. Seems I spoilt my neighbor (who was a flatlander) and never charged more than enough to cover diesel.) His driveway up off the shared driveway (discontinued road) is steep. I decided I was going to bugout for 3 months of the winter and so told him he'd have to get a local plow guy to do his 400 feet out. ( I arranged for someone to come and do just enough to get a fire truck in or the propane truck that I monitor).. Wouldn't ya know the first storm for the season was 21" of very wet clay like snow. I got to the intersection this morning to find a 6 ft high snow bank 10ft wide across the road and he apparently decided to leave w/o finishing due to no traction. I spent 3 hours getting out. He still has not showed up to get them out. I think my neighbor will be shocked at the cost. we lost juice for 6 hours which is fairly expected with wet snow. What gets me is folks still think they can't get stuck because they have 4WD... 4WD just lets you get stuck in deeper snow.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
"4WD just lets you get stuck in deeper snow". That's about right.
4WD just brings the stupid out in some drivers.
Frank
From what I see around Mammoth/June it is the AWD SUVs - especially the more expensive ones - that are frequently rammed into snowbank or overturned on the side of the road. This past week in June Lake you could identify the locals because they had chains on 4WD vehicles. The little streets around there are steep and this snow has a huge water content.

I saw one of those crash vids from back east. Seems they don't like chains there. Even the plows were sliding around. Never seen a plow without chains in CA.

You're right back here they have those whirly chaines off a differential hub that spins the chains under the wheels at the same rpm. School busses here have them and fuel delivery trucks. Snow plows usually are also spreading sand or salt so if in a pinch back up spreading first on ice.

buckland said:
What gets me is folks still think they can't get stuck because they have 4WD... 4WD just lets you get stuck in deeper snow.

Frank

teledork said:
From what I see around Mammoth/June it is the AWD SUVs - especially the more expensive ones - that are frequently rammed into snowbank or overturned on the side of the road. This past week in June Lake you could identify the locals because they had chains on 4WD vehicles. The little streets around there are steep and this snow has a huge water content.
Why does this all sound so familiar to me? Because I see it most winter days. There's another issue with the 4x4 crowd. Last Sunday morning, as I was busting through the plow berm on the county road with the front mount blower, a line of 12-15 4x4 vehicles from the city - "snorkel boys" - drove by, up here "to play in the snow". If they can't make it into the Forest, they prowl the unplowed local roads and pack it down so the plow cannot move it. They cause havoc and I'm surprised shots have not been fired - yet. Stay home.

IMG_20221217_190136.jpg
No snow here, southwest Louisiana, nor even rumor of snow...
But it is forecast to touch freezing tonight, which is about 12°F colder than normal for the date.

IMG_20221217_191137.jpg

ski3pin said:
Why does this all sound so familiar to me? Because I see it most winter days. There's another issue with the 4x4 crowd. Last Sunday morning, as I was busting through the plow berm on the county road with the front mount blower, a line of 12-15 4x4 vehicles from the city - "snorkel boys" - drove by, up here "to play in the snow". If they can't make it into the Forest, they prowl the unplowed local roads and pack it down so the plow cannot move it. They cause havoc and I'm surprised shots have not been fired - yet. Stay home.
Had some of that in Meyers too. But they lived there.

Frank
I'm thinking not just snow.

Who else here has watched Matts Off Road Recovery on Youtube?
He's often pulling out 4Xs that are so new they don't even have plates on them.

Back
Top Bottom