Winter Watch

About 4 hours of snow work this morning. Plowed 2 driveways for neighbors with disabilities, then got ours ready for the next round. Big Red Branson, Little Red Honda, and various hand tools all contributed.

I’m pooped.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
About 4 hours of snow work this morning. Plowed 2 driveways for neighbors with disabilities, then got ours ready for the next round. Big Red Branson, Little Red Honda, and various hand tools all contributed.

I’m pooped.
Maybe this is why the nights are so long this time of year, to get more rest after all the snow clearing.

Winter in the West
52552830712_929cd99c99_b.jpg

pvstoy said:
Been working on 7 inches of wet snow this morning. Glad for mechanical advantage to throw it.
Around a foot here. Initial clearing took 2.5 hours this morning. It continues to snow hard. :)

Just got in from working in wet, heavy snow. Only about 7 inches, but with the two neighbors I help by plowing their driveways, it’s a lot of square feet. Low temps heading towards single digits next week. It’s gunna be slick.

Well, this weather has now pushed me into serious planning mode for the next two trips. Thinking of heading to the southern AZ border area first and then drifting north to return home. Second trip will be hauling our two wooden kayaks to some nice water in Washington and Idaho. We built them ourselves a while ago from Pygmy Boats kits. Too bad they went out of business. Here is a link of a few photos for my build: https://www.flickr.com/photos/awg_pics/albums/72157663001840932

Very nice kayaks! Julie and I just returned from southern Arizona. One evening Julie found her phone had cell service at our campsite. She checked our cameras at home, accessible over the web. "Wow, look at it snow! I'll check our weather forecast at home." She is getting quite good with maneuvering around on that device. She reported the forecast. "It says heavy snow tonight, then clearing, with a low of 15."
"Oh look," I added. "The display says the outside temperature here is 60. No need to rush home?"

ski3pin said:
She reported the forecast. "It says heavy snow tonight, then clearing, with a low of 15."
"Oh look," I added. "The display says the outside temperature here is 60. No need to rush home?"
The lure of 60 degrees F and open, green country to wander in is hard to resist. I have a sister in Tucson -- with a new pool and hot tub in her backyard -- seems like a visit may be in order. It is incredibly liberating to escape the dark, wet, dreary days and hang out among the cacti, spikey shrubs, canyons and blue skies. I imagine you two are off again soon?

Tony, very nice looking Pygmy kayaks. Bummer that John closed shop.

Is the ramp picture at Ridgefield?

Are you familiar with OOPS (Oregon Ocean Paddling Society)? It’s a good group, with great people. I’m not sure when and where they meet these days. Belay that, they’re at the Lucky Labrador :)

Steve, yes that is at Ridgefield. My lovely wife is suggesting Vancouver Island, such as Barkley Sound. I am more of an inland lake kind of guy, so we will see how it works out. Thanks for the tip on the Oregon paddlers group.
Tony

To share the pain... we will be smited tonight through Saturday.
Next week same time same channel same forecast!
Ya I’m being a drama queen
...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 AM
EST SATURDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 6 to
12 inches with isolated amounts of 12 to 18 inches.
Accumulations confined to 1000 feet or higher. Winds gusting as
high as 40 mph.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 7.03.07 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-12-15 at 7.03.07 AM.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 20
Just finished 2 days of 14" heavy wet snow each day. Way too much hydraulic therapy between the tractor and the plow.
The one delight was the beautiful blue of the side view of the snow due to water content.
Now there's a snow squall warning for the western end of Lake Superior.
Merry Christmas! Bigfoot Dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom