Winter -- Wow!

Here's my first attempt with a tractor video. The beginning of this morning's work. Fast forward is your friend on this video. Why is the Lady shoveling? She ran the tractor yesterday. :)

You just can't beat "hydraulic therapy"! Your driveway in California looks just about like our driveway in Duluth, MN. The best part is that the fire danger is low right now. Thanks for sharing, Bigfoot Dave

Cool video, Mr. 3pin...hope I never have to know how to do that. :D

We have had that much snow in Bend...but it's very rare. And I'm grateful for that.
I used to say, when the snow was "deep" in Bend, "At least we don't live in Buffalo!" Maybe I should add, "...nor in the western Sierra Nevada!".

Bend is colder than a lot of places at 3,500 feet in the West -- usually cold enough in winter to snow...but that eastside "high desert" thing tends to keep us from getting too much of it.

We woke up with another 10 inches here this morning. I noticed the snow also was pushed ahead of the blower like yours. You two made a good choice purchasing the tractor and blower.

Have you practiced putting new shear pins in yet???

Went to Reno last night and both directions was chain control, but the worst part was it was pretty windy causing whiteouts... Don't miss driving in that conditions.

More snow Tuesday and Wednesday.........

It's very windy here today! All the cold light snow that was on the trees is now on the ground...along with pine needles and twigs, etc...

You can see the wind waves in the clouds, especially in southern Oregon and far-northern California!

Satellite-20190211-1-.jpg

[zoom-in/detail from this link: https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/goes/abi/goesWestfullDiskband02.html ]

pvstoy said:
Have you practiced putting new shear pins in yet???
Both practiced prior and replaced one yesterday morning. My neighbor up the hill has a railroad tie he parks a truck against. Got a bit too close - you learn to appreciate shear pins! Had Julie help with the replacement so she also gains understanding about how everything operates. I want to add a little tool box so I don't need to head back to the garage for replacement.

pvstoy said:
Went to Reno last night and both directions was chain control, but the worst part was it was pretty windy causing whiteouts... Don't miss driving in that conditions.

More snow Tuesday and Wednesday.........
Our problem here is the lowland tourists that show up to "see the snow". I clear a huge berm up the hill pushed up by the plow and grader cleaning the county road. I watch buttheads in jacked up pick ups racing and slipping from side to side - lines of "expedition" and "overland" vehicles. They cannot make it to forest roads so unto the unplowed secondary roads they go, creating huge ruts and packing the snow into hard ice the plow and grader cannot cut through. I'm surprised war has not broken out. Neighbors become concerned because emergency response is not able to respond if needed. The worst is when the highway is closed due to avalanche control and the snowplay people cannot make it higher. They spread out through the neighborhood with no respect for anyone or private property. Packed snow, snowmen, and dirty diapers in your front yard. Incredible. Saturday evening three boys showed up snowboarding down our road. They met a tractor, blower, and very bright worklights. They left.

Can't match Ski's totals but we've had some snow finally this winter to go with the cold temps. 16 inches so far in February with a few ice storms thrown in for good measure- another 6 inches expected tomorrow. Getting my shoveling muscles back in shape. :D

I wanted to go take Riley to the snow but my legal don't annoy anyone spots are inaccessible so I stayed home. Can't say the same for my brother. He posts a video of himself driving on 50 in the snow just before Pollock Pines. I'd go talk to him but I think its too late for that. Pretty sure he joined the crowd on the MET and not Ski's street.

Tumbleweed-120929.jpg

"A picture of a tumbleweed? Really, Mark? :oops: "
Well, yes -- it's weather-related. There are no patches of tumbleweeds near my house, so this one that showed up in my driveway is evidence of the high winds this morning; it must have blown in from some distance...maybe from somewhere in central NV... :p

Looking forward to a warmer system and rain here on Wednesday, as it could melt some of the snow that has pilled up, but not too much to cause flooding.

On the north side of the house removed some of the snow this morning on the lower roof, my rain gutters are full of ice. time for some heat strips.

>>
[IN THE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
IS CLOSED TO NORTHBOUND TRAFFIC 10 MI NORTH OF REDDING /AT FAWNDALE/
(SHASTA CO) - DUE TO SNOW - MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

IS CLOSED TO SOUTHBOUND TRUCKS 26 MI SOUTH OF YREKA /AT EDGEWOOD/
(SISKIYOU CO) - DUE TO SNOW - TRUCKERS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM 24 MI NORTH OF REDDING TO 19 MI
SOUTH OF DUNSMUIR (SHASTA CO)

CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW
TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM 3 MI SOUTH OF DUNSMUIR TO 3 MI NORTH OF WEED
(SISKIYOU CO) /BLACK BUTTE SUMMIT/<<

I was going to drive from Bend to Redding (CA) this morning...but I think I'll wait until things improve on !-5. Yeah, I could take my truck -- I even have chains all around...but it doesn't sound like fun. Mom can wait. ;)

Sure looks empty -- for I-5 on a weekday midday...I'm not going to disturb this peaceful scene. :)
Road-cam_1-5_20190213-1.jpg

Stay home guy! Snow plows here in Susanville are busy working away on the snow before the next storm come in. And it's wet soggy, nasty heavy snow, Mark, the kind that is no fun to drive in and/or shovel the side walk and driveway off! No fun to get stuck in! Roads a mess heading west/east over any of the passes. They are saying lot's of water coming down the hills-flood alerts and the whole thing, especially where the fires were east of Redding! Yep, good day to stay home and look at some nice maps and plan for that next trip when it clears up.

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom