Wire location question

Gormley Green

Contributors
While examining my Sure Power unit today to see if it was within the recall I noticed some wires I'm curious about. They run parallel to the red/black going to my aux battery (this is all factory FWC wiring from 2010) and are also red and black. Found under the cabinet, just drivers side of the water tank, they terminate. Also red and black, and zip tied in a coil providing enough slack to reach the battery it seems. Are they for the pre-wired, but non-existent solar? If this is too confusing I'll throw a photo up. Not a big deal, but I like to know what things are!

Cheers,

Mike

Are they for the pre-wired, but non-existent solar?
I think that's it.
My pre-wired-for-solar wires (unused) terminate in that area, too. My FWC Hawk is 2005, but that's my bet.

Yep, that should be your pre-wiring for solar.

(in case you want to add it down the road)

Happy Camping !

:)

Attachments

• Solar Panel Wiring Picture.jpg
    Solar Panel Wiring Picture.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 292
  • solar panle pre wire (4 wires total).JPG
    solar panle pre wire (4 wires total).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 251
Nice, thanks guys. Will need more info on the solar wiring when the time (money) is available to get a panel etc and do the install. Though I guess I can go down to the dealer in Vancouver and get him to pull the wires through my roof worry free!

Yep, that should be your pre-wiring for solar.
(in case you want to add it down the road)

And if I only have two wires at the front lift panel, those are just lights, right?

I also just noticed you said there should be 4 wires total. I was only talking about a red and a black that I found. They have crimped ends and are coiled, long enough to reach the battery but stored just inside the cabinet above/beside the water tank. Same colour and gauge as the wires running to the battery.

Ok I'm bringing this back from the dead now that I have a photo. So, what are these wires? This photo is taken looking to port side, above the water tank, below cabinetry.

smugshot2860216-M.jpg

I'm 99% sure that is your pre-wiring for solar.

If it is a red & black wire colied up in there, I can't see what else it would be.

We don't have any other wires hanging out up there in the space that I know of.

They should be "dead" -- no power connected to them.

They run up the camper and terminate in the roof, so you can add a solar plug at a later date.

Chicali or Terry in the shop would know for sure, but they won't be back in the office until Monday.

It is pretty safe to say they are the solar wires.

See additional picture attached.

(the other end of the red & black wires, up in the roof)

Hope this helps.

Have a great weekend !

:)

Attachments

• Solar Plug (backing plate in roof).JPG
    Solar Plug (backing plate in roof).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 167
Go Green- Did you ever connect a panel? If so, how hard was it? I'm just curious where the wires terminate on the roof. I've seen the wires mentioned here in my camper. I have not idea how these work. As simple as connecting to the battery? I've got a 2010 Grandby.
I drained my battery while elk hunting for a week last month. It was sunny and hot... a panel would have been perfect.
bdold

Go Green- Did you ever connect a panel?

No, haven't done it yet. Lots of info on the site about installing one though. I believe the wires terminate in the roofs in different locations. I think Stan from FWC will be able to best direct you on finding them. They can look up your camper based on the S/N or customer name and tell you where the wires terminate.

I haven't really put much thought into how I would attach the actual panel yet. From the panel the wires would go into a charge controller, and into the battery from there. Search the site, like I said - tons of info! Everything I know I learned here.

How did your elk hunt go? Successful? Photos?

I think I'd like to mount a panel inside of the luggage rectangle , lower than the height of the luggage rack depending on the size I get. The method that Kodachrome mounted his second is pretty cool.... Under the nose of the camper.

No elk this archery season. Still have a rifle cow tag good until the end of January. You hunting?

I think I'd like to mount a panel inside of the luggage rectangle , lower than the height of the luggage rack depending on the size I get. The method that Kodachrome mounted his second is pretty cool.... Under the nose of the camper.

No elk this archery season. Still have a rifle cow tag good until the end of January. You hunting?

Yes the under-nose mount looks very slick. I'd like to keep mine lower than the luggage rack as well, for obvious reasons.

No hunting for me, just recently moved out west and all my hunting toys are still back east. Luckily the fishing is outstanding here, and hiking, biking, etc...to keep me busy. But for some reason I'm seeing a lot of animals this season :LOL: !!

Elk or Moose?

Never hunted Canada but, I did climb from Canmore to Jasper in 2000. We popped over to BC but, for only a day. Should spend more time there...

Elk or Moose?

Never hunted Canada but, I did climb from Canmore to Jasper in 2000. We popped over to BC but, for only a day. Should spend more time there...

No moose around here. No elk season either, and haven't seen one. Lots of black bear, deer, and grouse to be seen on the logging roads though. I've never spent any time in CO, only been to the airport.

I guess I spoke too soon about not seeing any elk. Found two today, stuck in a fence. One died, the other was shot by gov't guys. They took the antlers and the natives butchered them up. Too bad, they were healthy animals.

IMG2331-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom