Would you buy another fwc

snorris

Looking for my first pop up tc. Friend of mine has the hawk with pretty much all the options. I really like it, but my only concern is the lack of under the bed storage and no electric lift system. I'm 70 but in good shape and can lift the roof for now. I know people are using stands etc to help lift the roof. Just wondering if this would be a deal breaker for you if buying another tc. Is the quality etc of the fwc worth the trade off of not having these 2 options? I will be using the unit mainly on BLM, forestry, state camp grounds some rv parks but really no hard off road spots. The only other unit I am thinking of now is the Northstar. Any advice or ideas greatly appreciated. :)

Front dinette has lots of storage under the seats, flatbed has storage under the bed as well. If you are in good shape lifting the shouldn't be an issue or deal breaker. We have a 2014 Grandby with front dinette, loaded and have a Porta potti stored in the lower rear cabinet. If you got a cassette toilet you will loose lots of storage. jd

I have seen pics of a couple FWC that had a lower section below the standard overhang added for storage. Don't know if that is still available though. I think they would be smart to make that standard or optional, as storage seems to be a short coming of these campers. I would opt for the gas struts if lifting the roof is a concern. Yes, I would buy another FWC, it has been dependable with only a few minor problems.

I second what Longhorn said. I've never felt the need for anymore storage space and I have an Eagle. I try to keep a minimalist approach. May help to get stronger lift struts also to help with the roof lifting. I have a bad shoulder and have no problem, 61 years old here. Ron

I have an Eagle as well, plenty of storage also, being 70 I don't need a bunch of stuff can't remember where half the stuff is anyway.i installed 40lb
Struts, no problem lifting.
Absolutely buy another one.
Mickey

snorris said:
... my only concern is the lack of under the bed storage and no electric lift system. I'm 70 but in good shape and can lift the roof for now. I know people are using stands etc to help lift the roof. Just wondering if this would be a deal breaker for you if buying another tc. Is the quality etc of the fwc worth the trade off of not having these 2 options?
If the camper will be a "fixed install" then consider the flat bed Hawk. It has a ton of storage under the over-the-cab-bed. And then we have four outside aluminum boxes that are all full too. But my unit would be a nightmare to get on and off. I'll sell the combo as a unit!
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:22035]

I also find the camper has MUCH more storage space inside and with a much more livable floor plan. (We just finished a three week road trip and were super comfortable.)

I guess I will be the contrarian here. No, I would not buy another FWC. I had a Grandby, which was a nice camper, but sold it to purchase an ATC Bobcat. The ATC doesn't have the 'bling' that my Grandby did, but the folks at ATC were more than willing to work with me to build exactly what I wanted. When I ordered by Grandby, the feeling was like Henry Ford's old saying, "You can have any color as long as it's black." Clearly that's an exaggeration, as FWC has many options, but they don't want to deviate from that standard list.

When I call ATC to ask a question, I am talking to the owners. ATC may be a smaller company, but they build very solid campers, and they have a well deserved outstanding customer service reputation. I may buy another popup in the not too distant future (big hunting dogs are driving that decision) and if I do, it will be another ATC.

We love our 2016 Hawk...side dinette..seems like more window space to let in light [important on rainy days inside] and floor plan creates an easy path to bed with an open area for the two of us to move around in...we use the Tundra/Hawk almost exclusively off road so it is rigged with most options to extend our stay in comfort and be self-sufficient.

Floor plan is obviously a person taste decision. This one just clicked with us.

75 in Nov, raising or lower the top is not on my radar as a problem without a work around. Hey, two can push!

Storage? I second the concept of downsizing and you will be surprised how much you can ferret away in nooks and crannies. Most of us tote around way too much 'stuff' anyway. I also have removed the back seat in the access cab Tundra and use Rubbermaid boxes to store items in that area...including full compliment of 'get us home' gear..keeping weight/CG low while we pack.

Anyway, highly recommend the FWC Hawk...it is well thought out and in my estimation a quality product..

Phil

nikonron said:
Mickey, do you have the model number for those 40 lb. struts, I'm thinking of upgrading mine. Ron
Thought I would jump in here.
The Suspa #40 struts I used are #C16-15952 @ $30 each.
With brackets # P67-00203 @ $3 each.
Hope this helps.
Frank

When I started looking in 2009 for a pop up,I went to FWC first that was the one I had seen on a trip to Yellowstone that convinced us a pop up was in order.
I had a nice visit with the people there and was shown all the features plus made out a price list for a possible order.
Came home and found the ATC company and went there for a look see and a price.
I compared a FWC Eagle (no Fleet yet) to the ATC Bobcat.
The complete camper cost was $15K for the FWC and $12K for the ATC (out the door)
Actually the same camper but FWC options were standard on the ATC and the Bobcat is about 4" wider.
The quality is the same you get a well made camper from either company.

As to Wandering Sage's thoughts I totally agree.
We don't need all the "bling" that a FWC has.
We wanted a camper that met our needs and could be built for us.

We also have a side dinette one of the first around.
As stated above the side dinette clears up the front floor and has ample storage.
Oh we are 74 so like others we can lift the top and usually go the minimalist route.
Good luck with your camper purchase.
Frank

nikonron said:
Frank, the Eagle uses a different strut, it is longer. Unless your Bobcat has the longer ones also. Thanks, Ron
Ron I do remember hearing that,but why are longer for the Eagle?
Try measuring with the top up out 36" and see if that works out.
That is the extended length of the ones I used.
Frank

On my second Hawk. First 2002 was the short cabover, if it was an extended cabover might still have it. Sold it and made money on it . Found a used 2013 Hawk shell and built it our the way we wanted it. Now if FWC of ATC would to the Queen size extended cabover on a Hawk like the Flatbed has might buy another one.

I might as well add my two cents here! Okay I have had my 05 Granby for 12 years now and have made lot's of additions and modifications -like a switch to solar and a compression frig. When my back started going out when I turned 70, I called FWC and they sent me some 60lb internal struts for I think $35-40-easy to put in and i have no problem lifting the top. Would I buy another one sure, but since allot of my friends have ATC's and like them,and think the world of Marty and the service he provides, I might think about it for a moment. I know Marty also,, so I might just stop by his shop and compare things with FWC.what has to offer. I like my Granby, but maybe since it is . an older one and I have been lucky with it, my view on buying another one is tempered by that. Don't know how much that helps your decision, both firms make good products, but Marty seems to provide more services, but again FWC has always helped me out when I had questions or needed help.

Smoke

I would definitely do it again. I'd consider ATC as well as FWC, but I would get one or the other. Nothing else like it. After some modifications, I'm totally happy with my FWC Fleet.

I'm thinking about going to a Flatbed Currently have 2015 Hawk on my F250. Just need to convince my wife I'd need a new truck too ;) That said I am very satisfied and will stay with a popup. I am also very satisfied, after reading this, that I am not old (66) just I'm usually the oldest in the group I ride with here in TX ;) :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Ron I do remember hearing that,but why are longer for the Eagle?
Try measuring with the top up out 36" and see if that works out.
That is the extended length of the ones I used.
Frank
Mine are 40", the Eagle has taller vinyl walls. Ron

I have a '15 Fleet on my '13 Tacoma, I would not trade it for any hard top that is for sure. I live in mine full-time daily as a way to save on the ridiculous rents here in Silicon Valley befoire I retire soon (about $1800/mo. min.for a 1br. apt.). A co-worker has one, and I chuckle every time I see him go around a corner and his truck leans over, he has to be careful to slow down. I never feel that need. Yes, sometimes I am tired when I go to pop it up, but it is so quick, it's never been that bad. I think the 2 options you spoke of are way to easy to rationalize with the other things you lose by going to a non-popup. I have an Access Cab (reverse opening, small doors behind the front ones) and a lot of extra storage behind my seats if I need it, so storage has never been a big problem. If you needed more, I would go with a double cab and get even more. I also have the front dinette and wanted that model after looking at the other ones. I only need one side, so that frees up plenty of storage on the other. My solar panel charges all my electrical needs and I also would never give it up. I have a casette toilet and rarely use it with work and my gym as alternatives, but when you need it, you're glad you have it in my opinion. In my area, many people have had to resort to living in their cars, but I would not equate them to your stereotypical "homeless" person as they also use the gym to shower and clean up and then go to work. I make $80k/yr and can afford a place, I just thought getting a FWC for my last year made sense since I will have paid it off by saving rent and then having it to then tour the country or visit friends and family. I am not your typical owner and I do not care what others may think or their snickering about it.

Back
Top Bottom