Wounded Warriors Project

chnlisle

Post Master
This isn't a political forum nor would I want it to be. I'm not sure if this post will make the cut. I'm posting it because many of us have a military connection in one way or another. Im a PH recipient and have given to this charity for several years but will no longer do so. You must decide for yourself if you feel the same.

According to Guidestar, a group that investigates charities, the Wounded Warrior Project In 2012, received an astronomical $154,958,901. Only $4,857,084 went out in grants to veterans’ organizations and $671,194 to individuals. That means that the group only used 3.5% of the money it received for the purpose intended.
In the meantime, the Officers, Directors and Trustees hauled in $15,415,666 million, with Employee Benefits ($2,226,457), Office Expenses ($12,451,303), Travel ($4,086,509), Promotional Items ($4,055,567) and something called Outside Services ($20,915,404) accounting for roughly 50% of what’s listed as “Overhead Expenses.”

Not the first time I've heard bad things about that organization. Fortunately there are others doing similar work to donate to.

Jay, I don't see a problem with your post. It's not political, and it's something that anyone considering a donation to should check out for themselves. From what I saw on the web, there are a number of differing opinions about the finances of WWP, and how they are spent.

I recommend that folks do their own research to help them with any decisions regarding donations.

Doubts about this group began to surface awhile ago. The name sounds better than their results.

The DVA, Amvets, VFW and PVA usually get the biggest share my money, but of late I was thinking of giving them some too, so maybe your note has allowed this vet to get my money to the right place Speaking of that, something is wrong anyway when the VA (it tries but seems to be hampered by the system), the US government and congress seems incapable of taking properly care of us old/new/soon to be vets and we need to set up outside charities/groups to get what we thought we were promised when we raised our right hands. Just another bitch-hope this doesn't sound like a hi-jack, your note just got me thinking again.

Smoke

Happyjax said:
http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/debunked-wounded-warrior-project-myth-that-its-paying-executives-instead-of-helping-veterans-is-false/

I did a little digging and came up with this. It is always hard to determine what is true and false on the internet so it is up to the individual to try and figure out who is telling the truth... :)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
chnlisle said: Today 2:01 PM

HJ,I saw that but I do trust Guidestar as well as several others that give WWP very low marks.

As usual, these things are more complicated than they first appear. It is always good to do your own research. I don't have an opinion on this charity but encourage everyone to do their own research for any charity they want to support.

Here's a copy of the GuideStar release in response to some of the criticisms of WWP:

guidstar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom