Yakima Rack vs aluminum rack on Hawk

trikebubble

As far as rooftop storage goes, what are people setting up the FWC 's with? We will be ordering a Hawk next month and I'm trying g to figure out which route to go. I see more folks with the Yakima racks and a ski box for storage than with the aluminum rack and stuff strapped to it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just my opinion...I bought my 2011 Eagle with aluminum racks and as I carry two canoes realized they were not robust enough. Took them off and installed the tracks myself and bought the towers and bars. I really like the ability to move the bars anywhere depending on the cargo. The tracks are also useful for mounting a small rack across the tracks. I installed a 160 watts solar panel directly attached to the tracks...very low profile... easy to do.

buckland said:
Just my opinion...I bought my 2011 Eagle with aluminum racks and as I carry two canoes realized they were not robust enough. Took them off and installed the tracks myself and bought the towers and bars. I really like the ability to move the bars anywhere depending on the cargo. The tracks are also useful for mounting a small rack across the tracks. I installed a 160 watts solar panel directly attached to the tracks...very low profile... easy to do.
Same here! Tracks are more versatile.

Not a fan of the aluminum racks here either, go with the tracks and Yakima, much more stable and versatile. Ron

Squatch said:
Do both sorta. When you get the Yakima tracks just buy the towers and feet. Then order some 6' x 1 1/16" aluminum tubing for the cross bars. That saves a couple of pounds just in the bars.

http://www.metalsdepot.com/products/alum2.phtml?page=rndtube&LimAcc=%20&aident=

Great idea. We got racks with intent of carrying sea kayaks...but way misjudged the issues with that much weight on roof..not just getting it up and down but raising and lowering the top, blocking the solar panel, clearance off road and raising the CG..having said that the YakTraks will take a lot different towers and saddles and handle the weight..right now only our Zamp 160w solar on the Trak.

Phil

As stated by everyone before its a no brainer in my opinion to go yakima tracks. You can always get the racks later but have the tracks done at factory. As far as using them the tracks are moveable so you can position the distances you'd prefer for smaller things to larger things. You can also mount your solar on the tracks.

Thanks again for all the input. The Yakima tracks it will be then. We are heading down to Van Saturday to chat with the Four Wheel Camper folks and unless the world abruptly ends, order a new Hawk.

Back
Top Bottom