Yakima Side Loader Brackets?

RFC

Does anyone have experience with installing Yakima Side Loader brackets like this on a FWC? Any reason why this would be problematic vs. the tracks on the roof? Couldn't find anything by searching

Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0759.jpg
    IMAG0759.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 308
The side mounts work great. The bar is just a piece of galvanized pipe. It sags in the middle a little so I need a way to brace it when having heavy loads on top.

Attachments

• rack resized.jpg
    rack resized.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 194
I would not advise carrying heavy loads like Kayaks & Canoes with this setup. Only light screws are holding everything in place and wind can generate massive forces. These attachment plates were made to be mounted with 3/8 bolts & nuts.

Jon&Sue_DeArman said:
I would not advise carrying heavy loads like Kayaks & Canoes with this setup. Only light screws are holding everything in place and wind can generate massive forces. These attachment plates were made to be mounted with 3/8 bolts & nuts.
The photo appears to show the Yakima supplied carriage bolts. I've used these mounts on several pickup shells, never a problem. I would agree that you don't want just screws. I would also make sure that the bolt ends and nuts don't fray the side fabric. Lots of quality sealant, too!

I've never seen enough sag with a brace of canoes to worry about it. If it's a worry, a foam gunnel block should be sufficient.

My mistake, I did not look at the picture closely and was thinking about an earlier thread a few weeks ago where the owner was just using the the screw holes to mount the plates, thinking 3 or 4 light screws would work. Yes, two 3/8 in bolts will hold most anything you put up there.

This is a little larger pic. I have had 4 kayaks on top with no problem. Sheer forces going down on bolts that are attached this way are bomber, Use the largest lag bolts that you can. Thanks for the idea of the foam blocks

Attachments

• resize3.jpg
    resize3.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 253
bike4mee said:
This is a little larger pic. I have had 4 kayaks on top with no problem. Sheer forces going down on bolts that are attached this way are bomber, Use the largest lag bolts that you can. Thanks for the idea of the foam blocks
Thanks for the info, was it challenging to get to the aluminum frame in order to mount backing plate and bolts?

Sorry about the late response, we've been out using the camper. I didn't mean bolts I meant lag screws. You can't get to the backing under the roof liner. Use mongo screws and glue them. I trust the holding power of these in any condition

Back
Top Bottom