Yakima track bolts ?

penner

Looking to install a solar panel to my Yakima tracks . Wondering what type of nut or bolt some of you use to fasten to the track??

Never got around to calling rack attack but I did call Yakima customer service. The guy there said they don't sell the nuts separately , they only come in with the pkgs with the towers. So I thought I would ask the guys at ATC and they said I will have to get them from Yakima. I'm baffled. Anyway , thanks Sage for the info on the TK 1 nuts.

ETAV8R said:
I wanted to share my opinion of the Thule cam nuts. I ordered four of them for my Yakima tracks on my truck shell. Same tracks that I had on my Finch. Wish I had taken the chance earlier with these. They are so much easier than the square type track nuts. So simple to put in and take out. No removing the endcaps.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Thule/853-2106.html
Absolutely, that’s the only track nuts I will use. Holy catfish, they used to be 99¢.

ReRack has them for $1.99
https://www.rerack.com/search.php?search_query=Track+nuts

Have you ever had them fail?
One member on Tacoma World is stating he no longer uses them because they have become dislodged from the tracks more than once. I'm planning on mounting my shower tube to the tracks using these cam nuts.

The A nuts are only $7.95 for eight thru eTrailer online.

With regards to having to remove the end caps, that really isn't a big deal. I placed 12 A nuts in each Yakima rail. I buy whatever size stainless bolt, and lock washer I need at the local Ace Hardware. I then mounted my solar panels, canoe racks, some tie downs and my fly rod holder. I will say that since I didn't mount everything at the same type I did need to unmount things at times to position the nuts where I needed them.

I still have a couple of unused A nuts in the tracks, just in case I think of something else to mount.

So to see if I understand what you’re saying here, do you install items directly to the track using these nuts without using the Yakima towers and crossbars? I am sure that part of that sentence includes terminology different than Yakima might use but hopefully it makes sense to the highly intelligent readers of this forum. :)

Yes, I have yakima towers etc for the yakima cross bars for carrying a canoe, lumber etc. But the rest of my "options" are mounted with stainless steel bolts directly to the "A" nuts in the yakima rails.

I had a failure of both the cam nuts used for my shower tube on my Yakima Tracks. Had to do an impromptu field fix and recently switched them for the square nuts but didn't load the shower tube with water to test them out.

Attachments

• 20190607_162557-resize.jpg
    20190607_162557-resize.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 190

Back
Top Bottom