Yakima tracks on roof?

pvstoy

This flatbed Hawk did not come with roof rack tracks. I want to do Solar on the roof. Looking at the Yakima 72" tracks ~$485.00. Is this the length FWC uses?

Looks pretty straight forward install. I see screwing directly into a aluminum beam in roof or using Yakima inserts into the beam since the aluminum frame is hollow. Then goop everything up well for leaks.

Option 2 would have ATC or FWC do it for me.... Any insights? Could be easy for them to locate the rear flood light wire location at the same time...Hum.

On FWC price sheet for 2018 FB models shows Yakima "Tracks Only" on Camper Roof is $395.00.

But priced high is the Rear Flood Lights - LED at $450.00. Tracks seem to me take more labor hours?

If you don't already have tracks, it is probably not worth installing them just for solar. You could just screw down some mounting brackets (a couple of $ each) if you are planning on adding roof penetrations for the tracks anyway. Or use one of the various methods of gluing/taping down a mount for semi-flexible panels without a roof penetration. The reasoning behind suggesting ordering the camper with tracks for solar panels is that the factory then makes the roof penetrations, and will warranty the work.

If you want the tracks for other uses it is of course a different story.

You might want to check out Impact3d products, on Ebay.
It's Hein from the Sprinter forum and he has fabricated some clean brackets that might work.

I have factory Yak Tracks installed and already had towers/bars. We have used them for everything from kayaks, to carrying a spare tire. The versatility can't be beat, and can be run bare without a weight/wind drag penalty.

My single solar panel is mounted on square tube aluminum, separate of the Yakima system.

Patrick, AM Solar has videos of solar installations using tape (VH:cool: with sealant over the foot of the bracket. No holes, except for your wiring. They say no failures. An option if you don’t want the expense or need of tracks. If you do go with tracks, I’d recommend full length in the advent of needing to carry long loads.

Mounts - AM Solar | Solar Panels for RVs | RV Solar

I have a 2015 Hawk flatbed with Yakima tracks installed by FWC. The overall length is 10 feet running from about the front of the front roof vent to around 6" from the back end. This is accomplished by using 2 sets of the 60" tracks. MSRP for a set of 60" is $139, plus I think you may need mounting hardware. FWC can advise you on installation requirements. I believe the price you quoted is for a complete system with towers and cross bars. You don't need all that for solar and that can be added at anytime down the road. Panel mounting photos have been posted here and on Rocky Mountain FWC Facebook page. FWC price of $395 installed seems like a bargain.

Dean

photo of my roof
https://www.facebook.com/veryactivelife/photos/a.1482921595342377.1073741830.1481148585519678/1654050448229490/?type=3&theater

Back
Top Bottom