Your Top Spots to See in America?

Bombsight

Where are they?

How long would you stay at said spot?

What time of year would you visit said spot?

Where would you like to return to a second time?

Asking because my wife & I want to see what you all have thought to be the best of sights.

I haven't found the top spot yet so I keep wandering around searching for it. I really hope I never find it!

The best spot will have daytime highs in the 80's and overnight lows in the 50's.

Seems that every trip I find an area that I want to come back to and spend a few more days exploring that area in depth. Some areas that I will return to and explore more include GSENM, the Arizona Strip, San Rafael Swell, Sawtooth Mountains, Olympic Peninsula, DownEast/Acadia; mountains, rivers, coastlines and deserts all have their beauty and are fun to explore

All that being said it is the desert that draws me back the most consistently. Springtime when the cacti bloom is one of my favorite times. Hoping to get a couple days in DV in a month or so which will only scratch the surface there but others on this forum are fond of it so I'm sure it will be added to the list of must return to places.

Cayuse said:
I haven't found the top spot yet so I keep wandering around searching for it. I really hope I never find it!
Every place we go holds more than a lifetime's worth of future discovery..................................like Cayuse, we'll keep up the search.

As noted, my "top spot" is a work in progress and here's to hoping the quest never ends.

At this point, however, I'd have to say the Big Hole Valley in southwestern Montana, along with the Pioneer Mountains on its east side, and the Beaverhead Mountains on its west side, is at the top of the list.

Mid- to late July is an ideal time to visit. There are still a few ranches which do the older style beaverslide hay stacking. The process, employing decades old buckrakes and the beaverslide contraption itself, is fascinating. Mid-July also enables the visitor to take in Bannack Days in Bannack State Park, located just outside of the Big Hole. There one can enjoy a celebration of Montana's "frontier days", put on by Montanans for Montanans. We have visited the Big Hole several times and will surely go back again some time soon.

Foy

I've said for a long time that southern/southeast Utah is my favorite area (it's too big to be a "spot", and within the area I like it all), and I still consider it my "favorite" -- if I had to pick a favorite. In late-April to May...

BUT: Many years ago, after a great couple of weeks exploring southern Utah, on my way home it came to me, "That was sooo great -- what if I'm now spoiled and won't like less showy areas, such as the high deserts/mountains of the Great Basin :( ".
Well, when I reached the Utah/Nevada border, after passing the Sevier Desert, the House Range, into the Snake Valley with the Snake Range in sight I realized "Whew! I still love this area, too!"

And then there's the east side of the Sierra Nevada range... :)

One thing I've noticed over the years: Some areas I love hold no interest for others. That's OK. ;)

No love for the West side of the Sierra's? Seriously, if I had to pick one area only to explore and couldn't see the rest? I'd go insane. While I have a fondness for forests I'd be bummed if I couldn't also see deserts and the rest. Right now I'm really torn between heading to DV or the backway through NV to Idaho. Unfortunately due to only getting 25 hrs this week and 20 next week I'll just have to enjoy the West vicariously for now.

Indeed ... well said.

.... but it sure would be nice to get opinions from those who already blazed a trail so that others can prioritize their adventures.

Ski definitely said it the best and kinda killed the thread.

However I will say I love the Cascades but I really need my trip to the desert every year or so. Then there are the Olympic Mountains...

Bombsight said:
Lets just throw away our maps and GPS's
I will say driving around San Rafael Swell with out a map flipping quarters at road intersections was probably one of the most fun misadventures I have ever had. Saw a lot of really cool places and met several awesome people.

But I do agree everybody got a little to focused on the one epic place to go instead of a highlight of cool and fun places they have been.

One of my favorites;
Larrys Canyon (canyoneering hike) Robbers Roost, UT but with an epic camp site that by itself is worth the drive.

Timberwolf Lookout, Washington great views and close to hiking, fishing, hunting, mountain biking, etc.

Bombsight said:
Lets just throw away our maps and GPS's and let our ignorance lead us where it may.

Kolockum said:
I will say driving around San Rafael Swell with out a map flipping quarters at road intersections was probably one of the most fun misadventures I have ever had. Saw a lot of really cool places and met several awesome people.

Flipping coins at intersections/junctions is a great way to explore. And sometimes it is great to ditch the map/compass/GPS and really just let the fickle forces of fate decide which way you are going, I have a old Cat House token that was a gift from a former girlfriend/kayaking partner years ago that stays in the car for just such occasions.

One of the problems is that what was a top place two years ago might not even make the top 5 now but might get re-elevated when I go back depending on who I'm with, what we're doing and where my mind is at at that particular time. Sort of a set and setting thing.

Toroweap/Tuweep is a pretty spectacular place if you can make it out there for a few days.

Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper is an amazing scenic road, with lots of great hiking along the way. Open year round so you can choose between back country skiing in January or chillin' by the fire in August.

Million Dollar Highway in Montana in the fall to catch the aspen changing colors.

South Eastern Utah. Needles district in Canyonlands NP.

We intend to get out west for an extended vacation next year. But I'm also a firm believer in the concept preached by Henry David Thoreau. Put your shoes on and walk out the back door and explore your own back yard. I spent a lot of my life as a long distance cyclist. You tend to stick to quiet backroads. It's always amazed me that I've seen so much more of this state and the area than most all who grew up here. Just because I ride a bike. I'm a transplant.

A few 4 wheeling friends and myself have been working on connecting several state parks and national forests here in the Mid-Atlantic and Mid-South on paper. Once I get the truck finished and the camper on it. We intend to hit the road, There will be highway driving involved(2 lane). But we are pretty sure we can easily put together a "dirt everyday", " camp every night" trip over several states with the emphasis on FS roads and trails. Some areas we know some we don't. I can't wait to get started. We should be able to do this for weeks without hitting the same spot twice.

Where ever you are out there can and usually is a new adventure-some good, some not, but an adventure never the less. One of the surprises of both retiring and getting my first pop-up at the same time was what I call "the follow your nose and smell the flowers" WTWing. It;s sort of like the flipping the coin to decide where to go next, but with a level of safety and comfort thrown in. For years I drove by signs saying this or that is that way and whether at work out in the boonies or on vaca and you always wonder what is down that road but you never had time to follow the signs. Now I do and have no fear of not finding water or a place to camp, like those old days, weather changing and having to pitch that tent in the rain, no fire, no nothing, wind blowing, tent flapping but that beer with my dog sure tasted good. Then I bought the FWC and retired and suddenly I had both comfort and heat and have learned to smell the flowers!

You ask what was the best place, probably the last-at least until the next place I find myself in. As MarkBC noted, He's found places other people don't like but he does, and that's fine too ;) ---yep more area you to play in! I always loved the coast, or the high desert country and those great little lost lakes up in the high Sierras, or the Cascades or the surprise of all- the mountain ranges of Nevada and the Great Basin! Explored the Southwest as a kid, and I'd like to go back. I have never explored the Idaho/Montana area but I'm sure I'd love it if I ever get there. When I head out again, I can always read the trip reports on this site, yep, sort of get and idea to aim that nose when I am WTWing :D ! Yep, can't wait for that next new great place I park the tuck.

Smoke

Well, maybe I'm a little out of step here but I've gone to a lot of places where I would definitely not want to spend "a lifetime of future discovery." There are a lot of wonderful places but I've been to some pretty bad ones too. This is all very subjective: Many of the places I dislike are very dear to many other people.

In that spirit I offer some places that I do not like alongside places in the same vicinity to which I hope to return many times:

Dislike - Disneyland.
Like - Anza Borrego, Joshua Tree, the Channel Islands.

Dislike - Carmel, Monterey.
Like - Big Sur Coast in the off season (winter.) Los Padres National Forest, Pinnacles National Monument.

Dislike - Santa Fe.
Like - Valle Vidal, Kiowa Grasslands, Bandelier National Monument, Mesa Verde, Hovenweep.

Dislike - Las Vegas.
Like - Death Valley, Mojave Preserve, almost all the rest of Nevada.

Dislike - Jackson Hole.
Like - Tetons, Wind River Range, Northeast Yellowstone, Boulder River, Red Rocks National Wildlife Refuge.

Dislike/Ambivalent - Truckee, Lake Tahoe.
Like - All the rest of the Sierra, especially the high southern Sierra and the East Side.

I think that a lot of us are saying that there are many great places to explore and because of our love of wandering the west we would not want to be confined to one or two favorite places, but I think that the OP's question is a very good one: If I may phrase it a little differently "Which places would you recommend for me to begin my exploring?"

I certainly appreciate input from others. Whenever we are camping in a new area I like to ask around for suggestions and descriptions from other campers, residents, and rangers. I've learned about some fine places that way.

Basin Deranged said:
Well, maybe I'm a little out of step here but I've gone to a lot of places where I would definitely not want to spend "a lifetime of future discovery." There are a lot of wonderful places but I've been to some pretty bad ones too. This is all very subjective: Many of the places I dislike are very dear to many other people.

In that spirit I offer some places that I do not like alongside places in the same vicinity to which I hope to return many times:

Dislike - Disneyland.
Like - Anza Borrego, Joshua Tree, the Channel Islands.

Dislike - Carmel, Monterey.
Like - Big Sur Coast in the off season (winter.) Los Padres National Forest, Pinnacles National Monument.

Dislike - Santa Fe.
Like - Valle Vidal, Kiowa Grasslands, Bandelier National Monument, Mesa Verde, Hovenweep.

Dislike - Las Vegas.
Like - Death Valley, Mojave Preserve, almost all the rest of Nevada.

Dislike - Jackson Hole.
Like - Tetons, Wind River Range, Northeast Yellowstone, Boulder River, Red Rocks National Wildlife Refuge.

Dislike/Ambivalent - Truckee, Lake Tahoe.
Like - All the rest of the Sierra, especially the high southern Sierra and the East Side.

I think that a lot of us are saying that there are many great places to explore and because of our love of wandering the west we would not want to be confined to one or two favorite places, but I think that the OP's question is a very good one: If I may phrase it a little differently "Which places would you recommend for me to begin my exploring?"

I certainly appreciate input from others. Whenever we are camping in a new area I like to ask around for suggestions and descriptions from other campers, residents, and rangers. I've learned about some fine places that way.
Thank you ... awesome post

Where do I start?

Central Oregon Cascades waterfalls: the area east of Roseburg and Cottage a Grove on either side of 138.
Late spring for photography as flows won't be excessive to avoid blown highlights
Weeks and weeks
Plenty of campgrounds and dispersed camping. Susan Creek is a BLM site with free showers if you stay. 1/2 price for us geezers.

San Rafael Swell: towering red rock, history, photogenic, rock art, solitude
Spring and fall
Months and months
A few campgrounds but many spots to disperse camp. Favorite was the one at The Wedge Overlook

Nevada between highways 50 and 6: any backroad will take you to ghost towns, colorful rock formations, ranches. Solitude factor 10+
Spring and fall
Weeks and weeks
Dispersed camping delight

Ruby Mountains, NV: wetlands, history, scenery, golden aspens, Nevada's glacier
Summer and early fall
A week or two
A campground or two plus dispersed camping

Wallowa Mountains, OR: red barns, green fields, snowy mountains, Old Chief Joseph"s gravesite
Late Spring, Summer, early fall
A week or two
Several campgrounds

The Palouse Region, WA: rolling, undulating patchwork quilt of fields, old barns, Palouse Falls
June and August harvest season
A week or two
Several campgrounds

Green River Lakes Region, WY: headwaters of the Green River, lakes, Squaretop Mountain, solitude, scenery
Spring, summer, fall
Weeks and weeks
USFS campgrounds, dispersed camping

Southeast Utah: red rock, Native American ruins and rock art, canyons, many back roads, Glen Canyon NRA
Spring and fall
Months and months
Campgrounds and dispersed camping

GSENM: red rocks, Burr Trail switchbacks, slot canyons, history, Long Canyon
Spring and fall
Months and months
Dispersed camping

Eastern Oregon: John Day National Monument, Steens Mountain, Owyhee/Succor Creek, Alvord Desert, hot springs, rock hounding
Spring and fall
Months and months
Dispersed camping and BLM, USFS, state campgrounds

Oregon Coast range: near the Oregon Coast, waterfalls, big trees, rivers, many roads
All seasons
Weeks and weeks

Gifford-Pinchot National Forest: between Mts Adams and St Helens, big trees, waterfalls, solitude, many roads, lakes, rivers
Spring, summer, fall
Weeks and weeks

Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest: Mt Baker, Mt Shuksan, big trees, cascading rivers, hiking, scenic, gateway to North Cascades N P, Shannon and Baker Lakes, my backyard
All seasons
Months and months
One disturbing note: budget woes may close many of the roads that lead to hiking trail heads.

I have more but don't want to give up all our secret places. Happy trails.

clikrf8 said:
Where do I start?

Central Oregon Cascades waterfalls: the area east of Roseburg and Cottage a Grove on either side of 138.
Late spring for photography as flows won't be excessive to avoid blown highlights
Weeks and weeks
Plenty of campgrounds and dispersed camping. Susan Creek is a BLM site with free showers if you stay. 1/2 price for us geezers.

San Rafael Swell: towering red rock, history, photogenic, rock art, solitude
Spring and fall
Months and months
A few campgrounds but many spots to disperse camp. Favorite was the one at The Wedge Overlook

Nevada between highways 50 and 6: any backroad will take you to ghost towns, colorful rock formations, ranches. Solitude factor 10+
Spring and fall
Weeks and weeks
Dispersed camping delight

Ruby Mountains, NV: wetlands, history, scenery, golden aspens, Nevada's glacier
Summer and early fall
A week or two
A campground or two plus dispersed camping

Wallowa Mountains, OR: red barns, green fields, snowy mountains, Old Chief Joseph"s gravesite
Late Spring, Summer, early fall
A week or two
Several campgrounds

The Palouse Region, WA: rolling, undulating patchwork quilt of fields, old barns, Palouse Falls
June and August harvest season
A week or two
Several campgrounds

Green River Lakes Region, WY: headwaters of the Green River, lakes, Squaretop Mountain, solitude, scenery
Spring, summer, fall
Weeks and weeks

Southeast Utah: red rock, Native American ruins and rock art, canyons, many back roads, Glen Canyon NRA
Spring and fall
Months and months

GSENM: red rocks, Burr Trail switchbacks, slot canyons, history, Long Canyon
Spring and fall
Months and months
Dispersed camping

Eastern Oregon: John Day National Monument, Steens Mountain, Owyhee/Succor Creek, Alvord Desert, hot springs, rock hounding
Spring and fall
Months and months
Dispersed camping and BLM, USFS, state campgrounds

Oregon Coast range: near the Oregon Coast, waterfalls, big trees, rivers, many roads
All seasons
Weeks and weeks

Gifford-Pinchot National Forest: between Mts Adams and St Helens, big trees, waterfalls, solitude, many roads, lakes, rivers
Spring, summer, fall
Weeks and weeks

Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest: Mt Baker, Mt Shuksan, big trees, cascading rivers, hiking, scenic, gateway to North Cascades N P, Shannon and Baker Lakes, my backyard
All seasons
Months and months
One disturbing note: budget woes may close many of the roads that lead to hiking trail heads.

I have more but don't want to give up all our secret places. Happy trails.
Another awesome addition.
THIS is what I was hoping for ... so thank you, to everyone willing to spare some time for those of us who are new to the trails.

For a single spot I'd pick Toroweap (Tuweep) on the north rim of the Grand Canyon. Spring or fall between monsoon and snow.
The campground has a fee now. Pick spot 2 if it's open.

It's remote.

If you suffer vertigo pick a different spot.

Back
Top Bottom