Spring is in the Air!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Yes, snowy weather not withstanding, today -- March 1 -- is the first day of meteorological spring.

I know there are daffodils and crocuses blooming somewhere...even if it's not reliably, consistently spring-like in Bend until well into April...or May even.

The North Carolina Piedmont is now 2 weeks into an early daffodil bloom and we're in a long period of consistent southerly winds with today bringing abundant Gulf of Mexico moisture, some severe thunderstorms, and some high winds. Good thing the white oaks and hickories surrounding my house aren't leafed out yet or it could get ugly.

Not blooming where I am but the tulips etc are pushing up. Spring is indeed coming and plants don't waste time. Something to think about ...

Getting a nice rain here on the Monterey Bay.
Our first big rain for many months.
The plants love it.
Hope the hills are getting lots of snow and that Ski is having fun with his new toy.
Frank

My mom in Southern Illinois sent me this pic the other day of first Daffodils in her yard.
My favorite flower!

HaHvclEu9jV1ROl72MRGK50hxZy2M_AQwSYteY-OZFejOVIudxHC9XbvZha-8HcEBlNFMfvuuMgRsR_as8sxHOsj9lsj_Xq18tBTvB6ycuIC3Kbhhmdup9EezvfF8xG6MYCUmKJ9IqHeKyDix76yxRlolHJvAJO6dFt-SdsK69XfcazLjfHwk1hF7gzLnzuMpIATGm491cUm8VoSmFOStz1d2PEinqxinbePX8lHyOgJYQxotqP-mGXDUo7ZtiIfS0Gg7ZCLH-o5Fv1BL3NdGRbt3YeCR-XpXov_0In22BIl1m94zh162UI29ub57XL_uQzQ9v7VAXVFNgn2-2EyEvtPizANm7KO8p8iEt9B29M8nAZMEkgTSSQSqtOxmED9WdqmXmiVBoEgdzN6wh9NiIrrq7gErsQFrTitVjiczY61f5ZB7jOiAwHZp_beARNDV8HehHFuSgYT55lOn4jGJjsB-iZyoWHs3zp9DaG_UTkrNMrHc_J_f6ZaebALg6nNEBmqFEC-h00P0jHyvQSGa0uHfzLrLfHBggNItnXBpXbBl_nuzTyZzOCX-qwOxMGptFMecOMpU7KtzFdU05xSI1KjedXvEaPETsQqHDOw=w738-h960-no

We are a ways from spring yet. But lots of melt water running around here today. Lots of snow too. Topped out at 39°F today. 45° forecast for the weekend. Doesn't look much like spring, other than the sun being higher in the sky. It is nice to have the sun shining at dinner time.

Watching the local TV news tonight I was surprised and pleased to hear the weather gal (she is NOT a meteorologist) refer to "meteorological spring". :eek: :)
She was launching into a recap of February's monthly weather stats and said, "Today is the first day of March, first day of meteorological spring...". Huh?! Wow! I had to replay that bit (love my DVR) to make sure I heard her right! :p

I'm glad she's getting the word of meteorological seasons out to the masses -- in a small way now...but a movement is building. I dream of a world in which we are free from the chains that bind us to the notion that the 21st-ish of March, June, September and December carry any connection to "first day of [season]".
In that world, those days will be simply equinox, solstice, equinox, solstice -- as I'm proud to say you'll find on the ONDA Wild Desert Calendar. :cool:

We hiked Effigy Mounds NM in Northeast Iowa on February 28 and saw our first Robin and two Bluebirds. The Mississippi main channel became ice free the prior week around here. The birds must be following the river bluffs which become snow free first.

MarkBC said:
Watching the local TV news tonight I was surprised and pleased to hear the weather gal (she is NOT a meteorologist) refer to "meteorological spring". :eek: :)
She was launching into a recap of February's monthly weather stats and said, "Today is the first day of March, first day of meteorological spring...". Huh?! Wow! I had to replay that bit (love my DVR) to make sure I heard her right! :p

I'm glad she's getting the word of meteorological seasons out to the masses -- in a small way now...but a movement is building. I dream of a world in which we are free from the chains that bind us to the notion that the 21st-ish of March, June, September and December carry any connection to "first day of [season]".
In that world, those days will be simply equinox, solstice, equinox, solstice -- as I'm proud to say you'll find on the ONDA Wild Desert Calendar. :cool:
Mark one can only hope for the change.
It makes sense if you can clear your mind about the 21sts.
Have a good spring.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Mark one can only hope for the change.
It makes sense if you can clear your mind about the 21sts.
Right on!
" Free your mind and the rest will follow... " *

:) :p

* Source

I drove back from Norfolk, VA to the Blue Ridge yesterday and noticed the Bradford pears in full bloom.

Spring is coming!

smlobx said:
I drove back from Norfolk, VA to the Blue Ridge yesterday and noticed the Bradford pears in full bloom.

Spring is coming!
Reckon you had just a bit of a headwind headed west-northwest with that big nor'easter offshore yesterday, didn't you Eddie?

Well, thus far we received half the maximum predicted amount of snow, only a couple of feet, but another pulse is due this afternoon.

Snow-3-Mar-2018-001-copy.jpg

Snow-3-Mar-2018-002-copy.jpg

Snow-3-Mar-2018-003-copy.jpg

Snow-3-Mar-2018-004-copy.jpg

Snow-3-Mar-2018-005-copy.jpg

Ah yes, spring is in the air. :)

ski3pin said:
Well, thus far we received half the maximum predicted amount of snow, only a couple of feet, but another pulse is due this afternoon.

Ah yes, spring is in the air. :)
Nice snow, and nicely cut! :)

We had just a dusting of snow early this morning in Bend, and then we had a nice graupel shower early this afternoon!

Looks like a good low wound up in the Gulf of Alaska, south of the Aleutians this afternoon:

VCG15-220020180303-01.jpg Zoomed in: GOES220020180303-02.jpg

Satellite view link here: GOES West, Visible

Back
Top Bottom