Happy 50th Anniversary Wilderness!

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
September 3, 1964 President Johnson signed the Wilderness Act into law. Today we celebrate its golden anniversary.

[SIZE=13.5pt]......“an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain.”[/SIZE]

ski3pin said:
September 3, 1964 President Johnson signed the Wilderness Act into law. Today we celebrate its golden anniversary.

......“an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain.”
Thank you Lyndon!

"In wildness is the preservation of the world"
(Henry David Thoreau)
... at least, it's the preservation of the only world that I want to live in.

When I was in Utah in May I picked up this souvenir commemorating the 50th anniversary of Wilderness Act at the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument visitor center in Cannonville:
Wildnerness-50-yr Hat-1.jpg

The tag is still on it... Maybe today, the anniversary, is the day I take off the tag and wear it -- proudly!
:)

MarkBC said:
When I was in Utah in May I picked up this souvenir commemorating the 50th anniversary of Wilderness Act at the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument visitor center in Cannonville:
attachicon.gif

The tag is still on it... Maybe today, the anniversary, is the day I take off the tag and wear it -- proudly!
I need a couple of these. :)

MarkBC said:
attachicon.gif

Leave it on , like Minnie Pearl.
Frank

MarkBC said:
attachicon.gif

ski3pin said:
I need a couple of these. :)
It looks like the logo on the hat is some kind of official 50th Anniversary of Wilderness Act logo -- it appears in this Friends of Nevada Wilderness page commemorating the Act, too.

MarkBC said:
It looks like the logo on the hat is some kind of official 50th Anniversary of Wilderness Act logo -- it appears in this Friends of Nevada Wilderness page commemorating the Act, too.
Yes, it some sort of official 50th Anniversary of Wilderness Act logo.
But, alas, no baseball cap in their web shop.
And, the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument visitor center (BLM) in Cannonville has a web site, however, no web store.
Maybe someone else with more time than I have right now will find it available on-line somewhere.
Or, I should be in that area in a few weeks, send me your $ and I'll see if they have any left.

ski3pin said:
Mr. BC, check the tag. How much was it?
Wildnerness-50-yr Hat-2.jpg

The label on the tag says Glen Canyon National History Assoc....but I'm pretty sure I bought it in Cannonville (in GSENM). The only time I was in Glen Canyon on this year's trip was way down the Hole In the Rock Road, and there was no gift store there. ;)

There's nothing specific to southern Utah with this hat, so seems like it would be available in similar stores. I've checked the online stores at Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Canyonlands N.P. -- the associated support organizations -- and none of them have this hat. The Glen Canyon Nat Hist Assoc website's online store was under construction or down or something... Yosemite's online store had pins and patches with the 50th Anniversary log, but they were sold out. I also checked the online stores of the Sierra Club and Wilderness society -- no luck.
But maybe it can be found in actual in-person stores.
So maybe it would only take a trip to Yosemite (or wherever one's nearest federal-wilderness supporting institution/facility is found) to find such a hat in a visitor center store. Or better yet, phone calls to the store first (the hat tag has the phone number for Glen Cyn Nat Hist Assoc)

After having hiked a little through Europe over the years, I appreciate the wonderful American Wilderness even more. One of our Greatest Ideas. Happy 50th, Wilderness!

And you can buy some anniversary swag from New Mexico Wilderness Alliance. The hats are $20, but you can be sure the extra goes to a good cause. Most recently, NMWA fought long and hard for El Rio Grande del Norte and our newest national monument, Organ Mountains - Desert Peaks.

If anyone is interested in getting a cap like I got, from the Glen Canyon NHA, I contacted them and they have some more.
Here's an excerpt from the email with the relevant information:

…In talking with our vendor earlier today, it was brought to my attention that we should be receiving more of the Wilderness 50th hats today. They arrived in the afternoon mail and we now have a choice of several colors if you would prefer. The caps we receive come in a cornflower blue denim color, brown, and khaki. In addition, we have just received a new lightweight mesh cap. The fabric is similar to moisture wicking sports wear. That hat comes in a black and an off white…

You can order ...call our visitor center at 928-608-6068
The price will be the same 16.95 and shipping is a standard 4.00 plus 2.00 for each non-book item.
Credit would be the easiest form of payment, but if you feel more comfortable sending a check, we'd be happy to accommodate.
Our mailing address is:

Glen Canyon Natural History Association
Attn: Mail Orders
PO BOX 1835
PAGE, AZ 86040

I've ordered a couple more, and they're on their way.

A plethora of Wilderness 50th-Anniversary hats:

Wildnerness-50-yr Hats.jpg

All colors are welcome in the wilderness.

They're nice hats, but I have a roomful of hats. I actually don't like wearing them unless theres a real need (sun, heat, rain etc).

Back
Top Bottom