1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, what are most people using for their FWC?

Dandil

I currently have a mid sized truck (Nissan Frontier) with a Fleet and have be considering going to a full size truck for the Fleet. I would have some additional storage room in the truck bed on the outsides of the camper. What are most full size truck owners using to haul their FWC, a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? I think no matter what people have, they will most likely end up being at their truck's full payload. I and interested advice comments. THX

My first Grandby was on a 1991 Ford F250, my current Grandby is on a 2007 Ford F350.

I scaled the current setup loaded up, on the way to camp, I had about 1000 lbs of capacity remaining on the GVWR. It is nice not being concerned about weight/load/braking/breaking.

Today one may be able to get an F150 configured with adequate capacity to be within the GVWR fully loaded up. Good luck with your research.

I had a FWC Eagle on a Tacoma. Despite additional leaf springs, air bags and updated shocks - you cannot change a vehicles GVWR. My new camper is heavier than the Eagle was but when I looked at upgrading trucks, I went with a 1 ton Ram 3500. The difference in price over a 3/4 ton is minimal and I will never have to worry about exceeding GVWR.

2012 Ram 2500, 4X4, gas, standard cab, 8' bed carrying a Grandby. Fully loaded with supplies for 2 weeks in the wild it weights a little less than 8000 lbs.

2014 Tundra. I have no interest in a diesel truck...and for me, for what I was looking for, the Tundra was a no brainer. I've upgraded the suspension, and the 5.7V8 has never, ever left me wanting for more power.

thumbnail_20180702_133747.jpg

I have a 2005 Granby on a 99 1/2 F-150 4x4 ! Even though, I have had to spend allot of time, effort and upgrades to make things work right (and they do now), if I would have known what I know now, I would have bought a 3/4 ton truck like a F-250. That said, despite some problems, I sure have done allot of WTWing these last 12 or so years ;) !

Smoke

Certainly plenty of people make 1/2 tons work. I had an experience with too much camper and too little truck and it scared me.

In hindsight, maybe I'd have gone with a gasser instead of the diesel but nothing less than a 3/4 ton truck. Someday when I'm too decrepit to climb into bed and I get a trailer I'll be glad I have the diesel (until CA bans them).

I have a 2016 Ford F-150 single cab with the heavy duty package. V-8 engine. The door sticker on the vehicle says the combined weight of cargo and passengers should not exceed 3,159 pounds.

I carry a Grandby full time, and even with two passengers and a lot of gear, I am always well within this limit. It all rides great and I have had no problems whatsoever. I feel that if you get a Ford F-150 that the heavy duty package is essential if you are going to carry a FWC pop-up. I think this makes all the difference.

Everyone is different. Here’s what I suggest.

First, figure out how much weight you want to carry. Your camper (the actual weight, not what’s printed on the sticker. All the fluids. Your gear. You and passengers. Batteries. Extra stuff. Some folks try to be minamalists; others like to bring anything they might possibly need.

Second, are you someone who likes to experiment with truck accessories and modifications or do you pride yourself in keeping your gear stock?

Third, what size cab do you want? What about 4WD and other options like bed size or particular engine that will affect GWVR.

Finally, list the trucks that will meet your weight needs (plus a bit more for a tank full of fuel and the inevitable last-minute extras) and you’ll know what to pick.

Good luck!

Thanks for the comments, I am trying to get away from the feelingn that I am driving around with an full load (which I am), so I think I am leaning towards a 3/4 ton.

I would also concider if the camper will live on the truck full time and if you plan on using your new truck as a daily driver. You will be sorely disappointed at the way most 3/4 and 1 tons drive unladen as compared to the 1/2 tons.

Concur, Driving the unloaded 3/4t truck from here to Flagstaff, in a word, sucked. Ride home with the new to us camper in the bed was much, much better.

At the time I bought diesel because no gasser on the market, new or used, could match the mpg. Now that's not so true, particularly if buying new.

Ram 3500 megacab, fully loaded I’m 1800 lbs under GVWR. I was always 600 - 800 lbs over with my Ram 2500 mega cab. Nice to not have to worry about weight even when towing.

F250 CCLB with Granby shell. I debated the 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton for about 8 months and finally settled on a 2018 6.2 4x4. My plan is for long term travel and the extra vehicle length made sense for the 48 gallon tank.

I daily drive the truck. Parking can be fun in the city, but overall I am happy with the truck. On highway trips to the mountains I average 15.5 mpg and my lowest has been 13.5 mpg with a lot of city driving.

I have a 2014 Tundra with a loaded Hawk.

Many say "It will work" and it KIND OF does...

But... If you offroad a lot and often, it beats the hell out of the maxed out truck.

GVWR is around 7300lbs. With the hawk and loaded to travel (and I travel light) my truck weighs in at 8800!!!

If you're generally mostly pavement, you should have no issues, other then horrible MPGs.

I've spent a ton of $ upgrading suspension, leafs, add a leafs, bags, etc..

Its at the point now, if I deflate the bags, the leafs are inverted on an old man emu lift with an add a leaf! :(

I've been a die hard Toyota fan my entire life and have owned nothing but for 20+ years, but the recent falling in love with my Hawk has me looking at options for sure.

I just ordered a custom set of springs from Boise Spring works and if those don't help my rear end issues, I will be taking a hard serious look at the Dodge 2500 Diesel.

Note, I never in a million years thought I would go Dodge from Toyota, but the Tundra just isn't cut out for the weight.

My .02

18 Grandby on a 1/2 ton 2017 Ram with a V6 (305 hp). Added Air bags and 10 ply All Terrain tires. I definitely know its back there but the truck drives great with the bags setup with the right amount psi for each side. Heading up long steep grades, I have no trouble maintaining 65+ all the way to the top. Ours is the shell model but we have the furnace, stove and roll-over couch. We then added a cabinet and sink. Water weight is only two 7 gallon jugs. Like others......if I could start all over, I would love a 3/4 ton 4X4. I just cannot afford a new one though. Might keep my eyes open for a F250 with low miles.

My last truck was an ‘06 Ram 2500 Mega Cab that was my daily driver and was used to haul my loaded Hawk for about 6 months out of the year. It did great, but I got fed up with the diesel fuel mileage and stiff ride without the camper. I wanted a newer truck with all the latest creature comforts and bought a ‘16 Ram Ecodiesel Crewcab. I’ve added airbags to level the truck with the camper on, Bilstein 5100 shocks and eight ply / C rated tires.

I’ve had absolutely no problems with my new truck and camper set up and it has gone up and down the mountain passes in the Cascades without issue. I also get the same mpg with the new 1500 and camper that I got with the unloaded 2500. With the camper off, the new truck is a pleasure to drive.

Self contained Grandby on a 2017 F350 4x4 gasser full time. Not my daily driver so I was not too concerned by mpg. Still, I get nearly 12mpg on the highway at 65mph. My two cents.

Recently upgraded from a 2011 Chev 1/2 ton to a 2018 Chev 3/4 ton. Have only had the camper on to see if I could get it out of the 8' garage door without needing to drop it on a trailer and wheel it out. Fits with 3/4 inches to spare, so no trailer needed! Still need to install the tie down system and truck to camper electrical, but have all winter to do that. The new 3/4 ton actually rides better than the 1/2 ton when unloaded. I suspect that is due to the all the suspension upgrades done to the 1/2 ton which is a truck that is not put together to handle such suspension modifications.

Back
Top Bottom