1/2 ton Tundra with big camper

billharr

To those who think we are overloading our 1/2 tons with a 4WC. Check out Truck Camper Magazine. This guy has a Lance 850 2300# dry on his 4 door Tundra and he has driven it everywhere.

http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/dan-spedding:-fly-fishing-across-america/

Nice article ... too bad he decided to take a photo so close to the Grizzly Sow and her cub. It would be a shame if she charged. She would likely be destroyed because of his carelessness ... all for a "Trophy Photo" :cautious:

I think that 1/2 ton is seriously overloaded. I can't imagine how long it would take to stop that rig during a panic stop.

I had a personal experience where switching to a 3/4 ton truck with better brakes saved a mans life.

Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done.

overloaded.jpg

I always wondered where/how/why they loaded trucks like ^ leadsleds photo above! Dont want to get off topic, but really?? Are we too timid here in North America or are people in other counties just insane?

I think the article states he is using a Lance 805, not an 850, which is Lance's older 1/2 ton compatible model-- coming in with a dry weight around 1,300 or so. After getting my Hawk, I am seeing how different the truck feels from towing a trailer, even with air bags. I am thinking of moving a F250 sometime down the road.

I always wondered where/how/why they loaded trucks like ^ leadsleds photo above! Dont want to get off topic, but really?? Are we too timid here in North America or are people in other counties just insane?

They're insane and don't have lawyers/lawsuits either.

<snip>..................... and don't have lawyers/lawsuits either.

That's because they carry the lawyers off in overloaded trucks :)

I imagine the shocks in those trucks are already shot to hell. Probably not a whole lot to loose, but quite a bit of money to gain by hauling a few more people and goods. Its not like they're going that fast.
That, and it is hard to compare western countries' standards of luxury that we and our highway legislations expect to the need to make do with what you got in other countries with less infrastructure.

Also.. it is hard to tell how much weight is really being hauled. Much of the stuff in the bags could be relatively light weight for all we know. I know... I'm a killjoy. I get that a lot. ;/

Bags could be light but there is probably a couple tons worth of humans loaded on there regardless.

I sure don't want to do a panic stop and have either of those overloaded vehicles behind me.

I've done the overloaded camper on a truck with inadequate brakes thing. More than once I barely avoided to manage hitting someone. A big part of why I got rid of it. Not only can't you stop but avoidance maneuvers don't work so well either.

Back
Top Bottom