1/2 ton vs 3/4 ton

A couple of general comments...

The weight sticker on your truck is for the base model without any accessories and dry. If you take your empty truck to the scale you will find it much heavier that what is listed.

The same methodology applies to campers...all campers not just FWC. You will find that the actual weight is much heavier than what is in the placard. Interestingly even in Class C RV's you will find the available payload is often just a couple of hundred pounds...

About a year ago I was pulled over by the Virginia State Police while I was towing my new CAT skid steer with my F-350 srw. Interestingly they wanted to weigh me because they thought I was overweight but I had just come from the scales as I wanted to see what my axle weights were. I was not over on any axle but my GCVWR was. They gave me a notice to comply (let me off because I was nice to them...) and went down the next day to the dmv and increased my combined weight rating to 23,500#'s.
They never looked at my trucks sticker but only what was on my registration, in other words what I had paid for...

smlobx said:
A couple of general comments...

The weight sticker on your truck is for the base model without any accessories and dry. If you take your empty truck to the scale you will find it much heavier that what is listed.

The same methodology applies to campers...all campers not just FWC. You will find that the actual weight is much heavier than what is in the placard. Interestingly even in Class C RV's you will find the available payload is often just a couple of hundred pounds...

About a year ago I was pulled over by the Virginia State Police while I was towing my new CAT skid steer with my F-350 srw. Interestingly they wanted to weigh me because they thought I was overweight but I had just come from the scales as I wanted to see what my axle weights were. I was not over on any axle but my GCVWR was. They gave me a notice to comply (let me off because I was nice to them...) and went down the next day to the dmv and increased my combined weight rating to 23,500#'s.
They never looked at my trucks sticker but only what was on my registration, in other words what I had paid for...
I see a lot of SRW and DRW 3/4-1 ton ton pickups being used as commercial haulers these days. I recently saw one pulling at least 5 wrecked cars on a flatbed - clearly overweight. I think some issues about DOT licenses and air brakes come into play at some point.

Has anyone seen structural or mechanical failures due specifically being over GVWR? - and I mean other than flat tires, and premature break wear.

I have seen spring damage on both an F-150 and a 3rd generation Tundra. Both were carrying loaded Hawks full time on extended cab 6 1/2 +/- ft beds. The springs on the F-150 were bent into an S shape (honestly, I thought they would explode in my face just looking at them). The main springs on the Tundra had bent the short overload leaf at the bottom down out of shape.

Only on Google. Our pop ups are no where the over load some of the hard side campers run even on one tons.

50070_big.jpg

weird_camper01.jpg

stuck.jpg
Another reason to get a pop top

As someone that worked in insurance for far too long, it is state-specific. Someone posted you wouldn't be covered. Yes, you would be covered (for a liability claim) if overweight. It may mean you are held liable, or contribute to liability, but you'd be covered. You may (probably) have your policy cancelled after they pay out (for breach).

Have new 2015 Ram 2500 Power Wagon, installed my 2010 Hawk. The Power Wagon has soft springs for off road use, when I put the Hawk on it (dry weight/no supplies) the rear of truck when down 3 inches. I installed Boss air springs and put enough psi to put truck back to stock height. My GVWR is 8,510 pounds. The front is rated 4,700, and rear is 6,200 GAWR pounds. I will get it to a scale to see if and how much over GVWR I am.

It rides and handles great, have not had it off road yet. The 6.4 V8 has plenty of power, the low GVWR of 8,510 pounds is because of the light coil springs. Any one else running a Ram Power Wagon with a Hawk camper on it? The truck has a 2 inch factory lift, but with the heavy axels, wench and drive train I would think the center of gravity would not be super high.

HiCap said:
I will get it to a scale to see if and how much over GVWR I am.
My guess....somewhere around 500 lbs over.
Myself, 9,000 lbs fully loaded for two weeks with two people and one large dog.
My GVWR is 9,600.

If I had to replace my truck tomorrow I would get another Chevy but a 3500HD, don't really need a one ton but....

FMLmeFp.jpg

Ramblinman said:
Has anyone seen structural or mechanical failures due specifically being over GVWR? - and I mean other than flat tires, and premature break wear.
e4FXIME.jpg

Have only around 500 miles on it, will let you know after first trip. My driving around town is a few blocks, then stop and go, my Grand Cherokee 4x4 3.6 and Silverado 1/2 ton 4/4 only averaged around 10 to 11. How much worst mpg can the Power Wagon be? My other vehicle is a Volt, it drives for free around town, (250+mpg) so is perfect complement to Power Wagon.

i have a 2015 PW with a 13 hawk camper is 1200 lbs. so the MSO says it dropped 2in. with camper on i added ride rites and daystar cradles. drives great just got back from a 700mi trip i did the math and got 12.5mpg driving 65-70 i only have 4000mi. so far..

The brochure I have for the 2015 Ram 2500 PW/GVWR is 8510. Payload is 1480#...Start adding up your gear, water and other must haves...people too. You "may" be pushing your PW to the limit....

"i have a 2015 PW with a 10 hawk camper is 1200 lbs. so the MSO says it dropped 2in. with camper on i added ride rites and daystar cradles. drives great just got back from a 700mi trip i did the math and got 12.5mpg driving 65-70 i only have 4000mi. so far.."

My 2015 dropped 3 inches at rear hitch, I put on Boss air springs, ride is great also. Only reason for low GVWR is light coil springs for the off road good ride. The running gear is super heavy duty, front=4,700GAWR, rear is 6,200GAWR lbs. Tires are load range D, 3,195 lbs. at 65 psi. There is no shortage of power from the 6.4 with 6 speed auto.

Its 3/4 ton truck that rides better than my 2010 1/2 ton Chevrolet Silverado with the same camper on it.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:10 PM

HiCap,

"I have been pondering a Power Wagon for a LONG time. What is you gas milage like with the new motor??"

I took a camping trip to Alamo Mountain, near Gorman, (6,500 ft.,) played around with 4x4, got 9.1 mpg at campground, 11.1 total for trip, that is using the truck computer, truck has about 700 miles on it.

Really, you think the Toyota is under powered? 401ft/lbs of torque. Man your camper must be one hell of a camper mansion. I mean its still a pop up right? I have a 2015 double cab and that thing has power for days. Maybe you need to put it in tow haul mode. I'll agree diesels have a **** ton more torque but they also cost about 20k+ over gas. I love my tundra and this is my 2nd one. both have been 5.7 and there isn't anything I haven't been able to pull. If you think the motor is straining... I am laughing because you are just hitting the sweet spot. Seriously. It has 401ft/lbs of torque!!!!!!. Your brand new diesels are up in the 600's!!! and the towing capacity on them is like 20k lbs where your toyota is rated at 10k. Don't be a "V". Drive it like a man and you wont have any problems. You bought a brand new Toyota and you don't need to worry about overloading it with your pop up camper.

Back
Top Bottom