1988 Four Wheel Camper Grandby renovation and Tundra Fit

Very cool, some good info you guys. Trying to see in my head the larger things to deal with. sounds like the lifters have a couple ways to go and no need to stress on it.

Front window
Has anyone found an affordable source for making these simple front windows? Locating something through salvage has not been fruitful. Thanks

Attachments

• 66381469_10206485120403681_698860860608610304_n.jpg
    66381469_10206485120403681_698860860608610304_n.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 118
I used a piece of plexiglass on my door window and it worked great. I imagine you could fit a a single pane of plexiglass into the front opening and trim it in with good results. Or you could just fit a piece of rigid foam board in the opening and make it another wall. We only use that window very occasionally and it's definitely a cold spot, the kid that sleeps under that window always gets the warmer sleeping bag haha.

Don't a lot of them use a smaller front window; just large enough to see through to the side window from the cab of the truck? You could find a ~14" x 24" window and frame it in up there. Something like that might be a lot easier to come by.

Thanks you guys, yeah I could just delete or reduce size. It was covered with this weird 80's tacky fabric and foam, so maybe it is a definite cold spot. It would be nice to see all the way out the rear window for sure. I need to see about adding alum. structure via rivets. The hole is 15H x 58L

I'm actually thinking of removing the window completely on my PUMA build out, and putting storage in that area. I'm using a backup camera already that gives WAY better views to the rear than trying to see through a few small and potentially dirty windows.

Yes, we've used it to reach into the cab for stuff. But mostly I like the sider for ventilation in foul weather because of the protection the overcab provides. Often need a bug screen tho.

Also like the bears and bandits escape route idea, but you've got to watch the waistline to get thru the truck slider or have a skinny kid that can drive.

Have used it for long items when the camper is on but a roof rack could work also.

Not really a biggy either way. Sliders can leak also under driving pressure.

Well my friends, after a lot of soul searching, I have decided to bite the bullet and order a new bare bones shell to build out. Life is simply too short at this point.

Even with a new shell I will have a quite a project making my ideas come to life. I am told stock FWC cannot be used to camp on the legs, so that will take some thought. I am actually still leaning to a Grandby, so I will need to re-design my flatbed and add a rear support for the base (pictured), and possibly frame re-enforcement.

Appreciate all the input on this long project. I will prolly just continue this thread for my changed project.

Any ideas on how I might go about selling the project camper at this point?

Thanks again

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 67948670_707731413005020_3345033157052203008_n.jpg
    67948670_707731413005020_3345033157052203008_n.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 156
Hey Ouray, the new shell will be awesome. Have you priced having them do it just a little bit custom to fit the platform on your truck? Maybe the modifications to you truck won't be too bad to fit the standard shell. You'll have better resale if you go that route.

I'd imagine that if you just list up your project here or online, you'll find someone who's interested.

a8ksh4 said:
Hey Ouray, the new shell will be awesome. Have you priced having them do it just a little bit custom to fit the platform on your truck? Maybe the modifications to you truck won't be too bad to fit the standard shell. You'll have better resale if you go that route.

I'd imagine that if you just list up your project here or online, you'll find someone who's interested.
Hey yes, the shell should be very interesting. Unfortunately FWC will not make any mods at all. I talked to ATC and yes they would have done the mod to fit my bed, and cheap, but in the end, I figured FWC had better resale and they look less dated. I actually ordered Another long Grandby, so it will be pretty close to fitting my custom flatbed. I just plan to do what it takes to get it home, and modify the bed as needed. I am still hoping to beef the floor and jack locations, but until I see it, hard to say. I still have barely seen a current model, so a lot of guessing.
To advertise my project for sale, is there a separate place on this site, or just begin a new for sale?
Appreciate it!

Fwiw regarding ATC, I got a quick look at a couple of in-progress campers there when I stopped by to pick up the metal for my roof. They looked really stout compared to my old granby. Despite the dated construction, it looked like they were doing a quality build.

All I can think of would be the classifieds section on this site and maybe over at expedition portal. I think they have more traffic over there.

a8ksh4 said:
Fwiw regarding ATC, I got a quick look at a couple of in-progress campers there when I stopped by to pick up the metal for my roof. They looked really stout compared to my old granby. Despite the dated construction, it looked like they were doing a quality build.

All I can think of would be the classifieds section on this site and maybe over at expedition portal. I think they have more traffic over there.
The ATC motto, “Built To Survive” is a fact. Their commitment to the customer is fantastic!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The ATC motto, “Built To Survive” is a fact. Their commitment to the customer is fantastic!
Interesting, I have never seen their skeleton online. Do they do more welds than the single side like FWC?

Good call on moving on if you're bogged. No shame in that.

Can't help with the selling but can wish you best of luck brother with the new project

klahanie said:
Good call on moving on if you're bogged. No shame in that.

Can't help with the selling but can wish you best of luck brother with the new project
Agree, no shame at all, it became a no brainer. life can be too short. 3 month wait is better than 1 year of building.

Ourayphotography said:
Hey yes, the shell should be very interesting. Unfortunately FWC will not make any mods at all. I talked to ATC and yes they would have done the mod to fit my bed, and cheap, but in the end, I figured FWC had better resale and they look less dated. I actually ordered Another long Grandby, so it will be pretty close to fitting my custom flatbed. I just plan to do what it takes to get it home, and modify the bed as needed. I am still hoping to beef the floor and jack locations, but until I see it, hard to say. I still have barely seen a current model, so a lot of guessing.
To advertise my project for sale, is there a separate place on this site, or just begin a new for sale?
Appreciate it!
Ouray. Congrats on the decision. I think you'll be very happy with it once you are out camping. In regards to the sale, there is a different part of the site the 'gear exchange' http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/forum/15-gear-exchange/

Not sure how to price a project like yours but I am sure someone will take the torch. Looking forward to seeing you awesome truck with the new camper.

Side note: what brakes do you run on your tundra. Was coming down a steep trail today and was full on the brakes and still moving a bit, not the funnest way to travel. Was not full puckers but defiantly a sign to redo the brake before winter. Let me know what you are running for brakes if you have a chance. - Tim

Back
Top Bottom