2013-2016 Tundra DBL 4x4 5.7 GVWR/GAWR Rear with Hawk

snorris

Looking for gvwr and gawr rear with a hawk that is nicely optioned. I figure around 1400# dry. I know the payload figures are fairly low for the tundra but I am more concerned with not exceeding the gross wt and the axel and tire ratings. I know this subject has been beaten to death but were talking a big investment and I really have no interest in a 3/4 or 1 ton. This will be my every day truck and I will be going on trips often. Just want to be safe and enjoy myself. Thanks for any help. :)

As you stated, been talked about many times on here and EXPO. I've owned both. I can say that now that I've had my 3/4 ton for a bit, it feels no bigger than a Tundra and I don't have any problems parking, navigating downtown Portland, etc. Having a backup camera is a huge help, as well as good mirrors(I optioned for the heavy duty towing mirrors). You will feel the FWC on the Tundra, you won't feel it on the 3/4 or 1 ton...

Like Frosty_1 states above, 3/4 tons are no bigger than the new Tundra's. Heavier yes, cuz the 3/4 ton is built to carry more weight. In some cases, twice the payload of the Tundra. I am one of those who tossed this dilemma around endlessly. I have a Tundra and I know these trucks are build well, but within their rated capacity. I would be first in line if Toyota built a 3/4 ton, but they do not.
When you put your nicely optioned Hawk onto the Tundra you will be at or very close to payload. Start adding a few bodies, water, fuel, gear, etc., etc. and you will see the scale tipping >2000#. With all due respect, you said, "Just want to be safe and enjoy myself"' Then seriously consider, at the very least a 3/4 ton. Just my opinion respectfully.

x2 on the tow mirrors helping on a larger truck. On my slide in Hawk I mounted a stick on fresnel lens on the back door window which helped enormously on backing up. Now a good backup camera is on the shopping list for the flat bed hawk since there is no way to mount a lens.

And IF I do it again I'll go with a one ton instead of my current 2500 Ram.

If I were buying a new (to me) truck specifically to haul around a FWC, I'd also go 3/4 ton.

Like most, I had the truck before the camper, and financially its not feasible to trade up just yet. My 2012 Tundra Double Cab 4x4 (with the smaller 4.6 V8, no less) handles my '98 vintage FWC Hawk pretty well I think. I know its back there, but the truck handles fine and has enough power/stability/brakes. I do plan to get a real weight on it one of these days to see where I stack up in terms of Payload/GVW.

edit: I am running Load Range E rated tires, which I feel helped the overall stability nad feel of the truck quite a bit.

snorris, I have a Tundra regular cab with a Hallmark K2. The FWC as optioned is a bit lighter but you will be right up at GVWR with the camper on the Tundra your looking at. To get the Tundra to handle the weight I added new suspension and a TRD sway bar which reduced the payload by 300lbs. The truck handles the weight well and the motor and transmission are great, but I am right at max payload with a dry camper and no gear.

Check out this page. http://www.ourbiggerpicture.com/#!the-rig/c21g

This is the second couple I've found driving the Pan AM in a 5.7 tundra w/hawk. They don't have issues with the weight and they live out of it. I also have friends making the trip in a Gen 1 tundra w/hawk. So long story short my $.02 is Tundra all the way. I pick up my 2016 5.7 tomorrow. I'm buy it to replace my 2002 tundra and I'll be putting my fully loaded hawk in the back with tons of gear. Toyota makes a killer truck and it'll handle whatever you throw at it. Also just FYI Toyota is offering 0%APR for 60m in select states so it might be worth a drive.

Hello all,

I am John from www.ourbiggerpicture.com. I have a 2014 Tundra with a Hallmark Milner truck camper (www.hallmarkrv.com). I debated this Tundra vs the F-250 and other similar class trucks for months. I made spreadsheets with all the specs and researched how GVWR is calculated. I cannot say that my analysis is flawless but I chose the Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab to host the Hallmark Milner. I am way over the GVWR for the Tundra. That said, I made several modifications to the suspension system and upgraded the tires to class E's. (The mods are detailed on our page under 'Rig'). I know that these mods do not increase GVWR. I am anywhere from 1500-1800#'s over GVWR for the Tundra. That said, I am ~15,000 miles into a trip from San Francisco area to Ushuaia Argentina finishing in Buenos Aires. (We are currently in southern Ecuador). Many paved miles but many on bad roads, no road and 4wd roads. We have had zero issues due to weight and the power and stability of my set up is remarkable.

It is my understanding that there are several factors that go into the GVWR Calc, much of which is particular to how the powertrain can support the weight. The Tundra's statistics there are similar to the 3/4 trucks out there. From what I understand the main reason for the Tundra's lower GVWR is the axel - it is semi floating vs the fully floating axel of the F-250 (and similar). This means that the weight rides on the wheel bearings and not the axel itself. I have yet to notice any issues and I have an extra set of bearing with me for when/if I do. I have had the camper on the truck (and thus have been overweight) for 20,400 miles. (We didn't leave right when we loaded the camper onto the truck).

I am very happy with my set up and I am partial to Toyota in general. I have had this truck serviced along the way at extremely nice and proficient Toyota dealers in Mexico (twice as we were there for 7 months), Costa Rica and Quito Ecuador. Toyota is very prevalent in the Americas and that played into my decision.

I was alerted to this thread from a reader here on WTW and I thought I would give my opinion here. I plan to do a bigger writeup on the blog as to how everything has performed along the way for the camper and truck. Lastly, I also was very close to buying a FWC Hawk. It is less expensive than the Hallmark and from what I saw a good camper (we visited FWC 5 times before we made the decision), but the Hallmark Milner offered us the features we wanted and the quality for our 2 year trip through the Americas. Please reach out to me on our blog if you have specific questions. I look forward to hearing more of this discussion. Good luck.....John

I run a '13 Tundra DoubleCab and Hawk combo, I haven't had any issues yet either. I do plan on upgrading to E rated tires. Honestly I don't feel the camper all that much, and I love the truck so much that I have a very hard time justifying the switch to a 3/4 ton. My camper weighs in at 1257 lbs dry.

full

Well, all this makes me feel better at being "only" 200# OVER the GVWR on my 2500 Ram with my flatbed Hawk! :) (And I will say the handling seems fine to me with the only suspension change being air bags to level it up a bit.)

PaulT said:
You can drop another 100 lbs by removing the jacks. That's about the same as 12 gallons of water, if I did my math right.

Paul
Oh I know, the truck is my only vehicle so the camper is on and off for the time being. Come June when we head out they will be removed.

I'm going down the same road. Purchased a 2016 Tundra DC. It will be the camper rig and playing with ideas on extended 1yr type trip(s). Here's what I love about the truck: turning radius (by far best turning truck 44ft turning circle - Shorty Tacoma is 40ft for comparison), Motor/Transmission no fancy turbos or economy BS to go wrong, proven reliable, 38gallon fuel tank (range is more important than MPG), Big brakes.

Just installed Ko2 Load E Tires on forged alloy (light) wheels. Will go with Icon or King suspension. Custom rear leaf springs when I have final loaded weight. I don't want air bags. My Tacoma had custom springs for the actual weight (over GVWR) and it handled fantastic (no problem with high speed off road driving). I don't plan to drive the Tundra hard fully loaded but having the suspension matching the load is key from what I've experienced.

gitout said:
...having the suspension matching the load is key from what I've experienced.
I will second that! 2015 Tundra, 2014 Hawk with Deaver rear springs. Sprung a little lighter (400 lbs) than heaviest load and make it up with Ride-Rite air bags. Smooth ride that handles the load.

Back
Top Bottom