2016 Colorado tires

buckland

Site Team
Here's a weird one. I'll try to be coherent but just off the phone with dealer. I ordered a new diesel longbed Colorado and was very excited about putting the 2011 Eagle camper on. When I ordered the truck they agreed to swap out tires for Cooper AT/3 255 65 17. The Cooper website said they fit as did three tire places. I got a call from the dealer today saying my new truck was ready but that they have to keep the passenger tires on the truck.... that's what?.... They said there is one one ....just one tire that can be on the truck. Nothing else. All over the world...all people have to use the same tire. They claim none of the computer electronics will work if the diameter of the tire is slightly changed (yet their spare is 16"?). Has anyone heard of such a thing? One tire the world over? I went to this site

http://us.coopertire.com/customer-care/tire-navigator.aspx?searchType=vehicle&year=2016&make=Chevrolet%20Trucks&model=Colorado%20&option=%20LT&tab=0

Does anyone have a 2016 Colorado and what tires are on yours?!

DIRECT VS. INDIRECT Direct Systems
attach a pressure sensor/transmitter to the vehicle's wheels. An in-vehicle receiver warns the driver if the pressure in any tire falls below a predetermined level. Direct systems are typically more accurate and reliable and most are able to indicate which tire is under-inflated.
Indirect Systems
use the vehicle's anti-lock braking system's wheel speed sensors to compare the rotational speed of one tire versus the others. If a tire is low on pressure, it will roll at a different number of revolutions per mile than the other three and alert the vehicle's on-board computer. Indirect systems (except for the TPMS on several 2009+ Audi models and 2010+ Volkswagen models) are unable to generate accurate readings in cases where all four tires are losing pressure at the same rate, such as the effects of time and temperature.

If you are replacing all 4 tires with different sizes vs. OEM your systems will be impacted, so the dealer is correct. You should understand how your system is being impacted. However a deal is a deal and you should still be getting your tires.

I suggest stilling with the OEM sizes, or understand what is happening when you deviate from the OEM size.
Basically your speedometer and odometer readings will be impacted. ABS and tire pressure etc are only impacted if your tires are of varying sizes.

TPMS Tire pressure...whoops.
Dealer says I void warranty on all the sensors if I use different tires!

That's what I got... here is an ad from Cooper too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.01.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 1.01.22 PM.png
    486.8 KB · Views: 183
It's not that everything stops working, it just doesn't work as designed. For example, say you're talking about a 1976 GMC truck. Bigger tires means it won't brake as well. Well, fast forward 40 years and once you put bigger tires on it won't brake as well, because the computer that inputs to the ABS sensors is trying to stop a truck with smaller tires. It doesn't mean it won't stop, but what they are really saying is that your braking will be impacted and they aren't going to be liable (or provide a warranty) when you've chosen components that impact the other components performance.

Okay I get that.... but if you click on the ad I attached it is the same dimensions for the tire ... why would anything be screwing with the electronics if it is an OEM size?

buckland said:
Okay I get that.... but if you click on the ad I attached it is the same dimensions for the tire ... why would anything be screwing with the electronics if it is an OEM size?
It wouldn't. That's nonsense as far as the electronics is concerned.
Now if your dealer wants to be a jerk, they could use other reasons in which it could impact the warranty.

It sounds like your chose the wrong dealer to purchase your vehicle from and that's the real problem.

BTW you originally stated
"They claim none of the computer electronics will work if the diameter of the tire is slightly changed"

I'm confused too. However, one thing that worries me about those tires, the 255/65/17 is the load rating. It looks like it's too low for a truck with a camper. Are they load range 110/C ?

255 is NOT the diameter (height), it is the width.

One reason the TPMS won't work is because they are made for a certain range and if you change the load rating of the tire it may be outside the parameters of the sensor, or the vehicle may think your tires are over-inflated. The car may think you need 25-35 lbs and if you put 40-60 they will keep flashing that you have an error.

But it probably has to be calibrated to the PCM or other computer module, not just resetting the wheel sensor. That's probably why the technicians are talking about the BCIM (or whatever GM is calling it) and if the pressure is outside of what is programmable (i.e., going from Load Range C to Load Range E) it may just be something you have to live with, a TPMS light on the dash all the time. Or, calibrating the tire size might be outside the range of the stock electronics, with the OE calibration tools.

Aftermarket programmers normally can compensate for the tire size change, etc., and OE programmers may not. They may be held to the OE sizes.

That's not the way mine works. I just inflate the tires to the pressures I want and then push a button. It is a truck and running different pressures front and rear can't be that unusual. It's a Tacoma not a Colorado though so who knows.

I switched from the oem tires to load range E when I bought the truck.

Just saying, I've seen it the other way. I used to work for a large dealer network and technicians, depending on the vehicle, got something like .3 hours (I'm going by memory and it's been a while) per sensor for re-programming. A set of four sensors paid something close to an hour for programming.

Back
Top Bottom