81 Fleet Remodel

Tim DP

Thanks to all on this forum for many many ideas. Thanks to mtn-high in Edwards for the bench seat back and the map on fridge idea. Purchased for $750, added about $450 in materials.
I re-upholstered, put in a new floor, new carpet on the sides, added a solar panel and charge contrioller, battery monitor, 12V outlet, new sink pump, new curtains, LEDs in the fixtures, bear mouth beer opener :), new roof vent (thanks low garage), timbrens, new seat bench/bed, CO detector, digital thermostat for stock furnace, added propane piping and an auxiliary Olympian wave cat 3. Next? rear lift panel, new tent material, removable stove (to cook outside), and new formica/paint to brighten up interior dark fake wood grain.
Here are before and after photos:

Attachments

• _DSC2862.JPG
    _DSC2862.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 389
  • _DSC2866.JPG
    _DSC2866.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 431
  • A_DSC5477.jpg
    A_DSC5477.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 423
  • _DSC5480.JPG
    _DSC5480.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 447
  • _DSC5483.JPG
    _DSC5483.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 425
  • _DSC5481.JPG
    _DSC5481.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 401
  • _DSC5488.JPG
    _DSC5488.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 426
  • _DSC5495.JPG
    _DSC5495.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 430
  • _DSC5492.JPG
    _DSC5492.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 448
  • _DSC5484.JPG
    _DSC5484.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 408
  • _DSC5507.JPG
    _DSC5507.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 412
  • _DSC5485.JPG
    _DSC5485.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 378
  • _DSC5514.JPG
    _DSC5514.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 335
I used the locking hook (above)to hold both new beds in place while sleeping. I used Simpson strong ties screwed in back of the Olympian so it can hang on the table rest below the icebox. I ordered propane fittings so I can dial the Oly line off when disconnected.
I hung the solar panel under the bed with a sliding hanger assembly I bought at the recycled building supply store so it can be out of the snow.
**I am looking for suggestions - my right front and left rear corners leak a bit in heavy rain but the roof looks whole and the side seal is good - anybody have this problem with older FWCs? How can I stop the leaks?**

More pix:

Attachments

• _DSC5512.JPG
    _DSC5512.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 229
  • _DSC5510.JPG
    _DSC5510.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 268
  • _DSC5500.JPG
    _DSC5500.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 295
  • _DSC5502.JPG
    _DSC5502.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 322
  • _DSC5503.JPG
    _DSC5503.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 275
Sweet set up tim; like to check it out sometime.. i used to live in durango and will be visiting soon hopefully ( actually still got a place off jenkins ranch road) but have been working out west for the last few years.
Trout fishing been good on the animas at all ?

Tim DP:

Wow, great deal you got there. Lots of cool things you have done already. I can't wait to hear about more. Nice pics. I like your sleeping area. Must be comfy. Now, get out of town before the weather really makes it hard....

dave in seattle

Great job on the camper and very nice idea with the solar panel. I am working on my 84 fleet and doing some of the same changes that you are. What has been done to the lower couch? How does it work?
Your leaks in the corner are probably due to the fact the the side canvas was installed over your roof metal and then capped with the side trim. I have 2 campers that were both done that way. For a quick fix clean and then run a small bead of RTV white silicone along where the top trim meets the roof. If you are going to replace the canvas sides soon then you will be able to install the new canvas under the roof metal like they do at the factory now.
Thanks for the nice pics.

I used the locking hook (above)to hold both new beds in place while sleeping. I used Simpson strong ties screwed in back of the Olympian so it can hang on the table rest below the icebox. I ordered propane fittings so I can dial the Oly line off when disconnected.
I hung the solar panel under the bed with a sliding hanger assembly I bought at the recycled building supply store so it can be out of the snow.
**I am looking for suggestions - my right front and left rear corners leak a bit in heavy rain but the roof looks whole and the side seal is good - anybody have this problem with older FWCs? How can I stop the leaks?**

More pix:

Lookin' good, Tim! Glad to see the couch back worked out for ya.

happy trails

mtn

Jimmy - Thanks for the tip on the leaks - I'll check it out.
Lower couch: Mtn-high, on this board, donated me his unused couch back from a new FWC. I trimmed it down to fit my fleet, then I made legs for it out of angle L aluminum and pop rivets. The couch back clips on to the seat base with a gate hook when in sleep position. I made some wood braces to make it sit up at an angle for sitting, and it rides flat while driving.
The newer foldover style bracket is available from FWC for $150 (plus the cushion), but I had a hard time seeing how it would bolt in to (fit) my old unit.
JWD - I live a block from the Animas but haven't dropped a line in it since runoff. Need to put my work down and wander over there!

Attachments

• _DSC5496.JPG
    _DSC5496.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 195
  • _DSC5493.JPG
    _DSC5493.JPG
    30.8 KB · Views: 187
Jimmy - Thanks for the tip on the leaks - I'll check it out.
Lower couch: Mtn-high, on this board, donated me his unused couch back from a new FWC. I trimmed it down to fit my fleet, then I made legs for it out of angle L aluminum and pop rivets. The couch back clips on to the seat base with a gate hook when in sleep position. I made some wood braces to make it sit up at an angle for sitting, and it rides flat while driving.
The newer foldover style bracket is available from FWC for $150 (plus the cushion), but I had a hard time seeing how it would bolt in to (fit) my old unit.
JWD - I live a block from the Animas but haven't dropped a line in it since runoff. Need to put my work down and wander over there!

Nice work, fellow Durangoan! I've had some OK days on the Animas this summer, but the monsoons have been taking it off color pretty regularly. Lately I've been focusing on the Florida River... in my backyard. I can be lazy...

Back
Top Bottom