84 Fleet - 09 Tacoma - Project

BBZ said:
hey Tim..

We have our material for the pop up canvas and are going to tackle it soon..

Couple questions..

How did you keep the roof up without the canvas on?

When you put the trim piece on the outside and screw it back in, did you pre drill to prevent the canvas from getting twisted, or did you find that was unnecessary?

Thx
Two good questions:

Keeping the roof stable without the canvas was a challenge. I was either in my garage or near my garage and actually just clamped a few pieces of wood to the roof that then into free space and to a solid wall (garage wall). That with some bungees on the inside pushed the entire roof taught against one solid wall. It was a bit of a chore but doable.

I did not pre drill the canvas. I was ready to as well but had zero problems when it came to just putting screws in. You may find that big trim piece to be quite unruly during the reinstall. I swear my metal trim must have shrunk :) It is just long and skinny so very vulnerable to small bends etc.

Best of luck installing the canvas. Hope it goes smoothly.

Hey all,

I have been putting in plenty of days with the camper. I am in it every few weeks at least which I am happy with. Resort skiing is starting to wind down but ski touring will be sure to keep going like always. Hopefully all year again!

I actually have the galley in the camper! I am working on a video about that now. As I complete the interior I am also doing the water system and I have a question for the community.

1st. What is this piece? I think it is the breather/overflow port, correct?
2. Where can I find a new one? Anyone have a lead on one?

Thanks in advance for any info you can share. Hope everyone is excited for another summer of camping!

gallery_6274_1000_844923.jpg

Tim, My water system had nothing like that, and I believe it all original. I think they vented through the outside gravity water fill. My tank didn't have any fitting opening that resembles the threaded portion on the end of the hose either. Could your water system been added after the factory? As for the petcock in the picture, any good auto parts store should have one, but I would just use a modern ball valve.
I decided to use the Reliant 7 gallon camping water jugs, rather than a built in tank. I made up some fittings and a dip tube to pull water from the jug by way of an 12v pump. When 1 jug is empty, I just swap it with another. No trying to hold up a jug and gravity feed into a built in tank.

shellback said:
Tim, My water system had nothing like that, and I believe it all original. I think they vented through the outside gravity water fill. My tank didn't have any fitting opening that resembles the threaded portion on the end of the hose either. Could your water system been added after the factory? As for the petcock in the picture, any good auto parts store should have one, but I would just use a modern ball valve.
I decided to use the Reliant 7 gallon camping water jugs, rather than a built in tank. I made up some fittings and a dip tube to pull water from the jug by way of an 12v pump. When 1 jug is empty, I just swap it with another. No trying to hold up a jug and gravity feed into a built in tank.
hmmm.. Shellback.. can you get some pics of your water set up and how it works.. I am getting the old Granby kitchen going and have decided against a water tank, but I like the sound of your system.. thx

Thanks for the input all.

So what does a modern vent/breather look like? I don't want to reproduce whatever I had, I just need the proper functionality. What is the problem with just an open tube to under the camper? Probably gets junk up the tub?

Living The Dream said:
Thanks for the input all.

So what does a modern vent/breather look like? I don't want to reproduce whatever I had, I just need the proper functionality. What is the problem with just an open tube to under the camper? Probably gets junk up the tub?
Tim, Do you have a gravity fill on the outside of the camper? If so, it's just a flap that covers it, and it should be all the vent you need.

BBZ said:
hmmm.. Shellback.. can you get some pics of your water set up and how it works.. I am getting the old Granby kitchen going and have decided against a water tank, but I like the sound of your system.. thx
Here's a few pictures. I built a couch that opens into a bed on the right side. On the front end of that I have storage underneath. On the front left you will see I raised that area to accept the water tank, battery and the electric converter. My faucet has a built in switch the activates the pump when you turn the faucet on.

Attachments

• resize 1.jpg
    resize 1.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 166
  • resize 2.jpg
    resize 2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 178
  • resize 3.jpg
    resize 3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 171
shellback said:
Here's a few pictures. I built a couch that opens into a bed on the right side. On the front end of that I have storage underneath. On the front left you will see I raised that area to accept the water tank, battery and the electric converter. My faucet has a built in switch the activates the pump when you turn the faucet on.
Here's one more picture

Attachments

• resize 4.jpg
    resize 4.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 113
I used the same faucet in my build. That's a slick removable water tank system Shellback. And the little bit of electrical work I can see looks really nice too!

Is that carpet on your floor?

shellback said:
Tim, Do you have a gravity fill on the outside of the camper? If so, it's just a flap that covers it, and it should be all the vent you need.
Yes, gravity fill, the old style like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/16268915...mail&cal=a889585663e79&cust=49186531YY688225N

I don't think it has a vent in it, but ill rig something up. I didn't want to make another hole in the base of my cabinets anyways so Ill do something different. A bit of screen material and I should be all set.

In other news, a couple of shots of the camper at the beginning of this one :) Great to be using it!

shellback said:
These look great! Really nice job!

Living The Dream said:
These look great! Really nice job!
I still have some cabinet doors, and drawers to make for the counter top side, then a couple corner cabinets to make for the passenger side.Got lazy! When you can use the camper as is, it's tough to get motivated again.
Here's a bulk fill with a built in vent. JR Products 37525 Fresh Water Lockable Slide-Out Gravity Inlet

Living The Dream said:
Yes, gravity fill, the old style like this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/16268915...mail&cal=a889585663e79&cust=49186531YY688225N

I don't think it has a vent in it, but ill rig something up. I didn't want to make another hole in the base of my cabinets anyways so Ill do something different. A bit of screen material and I should be all set.

In other news, a couple of shots of the camper at the beginning of this one :) Great to be using it!
Here's a bulk fill with a built in vent. JR Products 37525 Fresh Water Lockable Slide-Out Gravity Inlet

A question of the community. I finally have the propane system in :) It looks great. I just spray painted the old system.

One of the burners is really 'flamey'. Lots of high yellow flame on one burner. One burner and the heater work great, while the other burner is really high and yellow which leads me to believe it isn't a pressure issue but what do I know.

Here is an example of the issue, plus a sneak peak of where I am currently at in my build ;) Working on putting together some more videos.

For reference here are some old photos of my stove.

gallery_6274_1000_693472.jpg

gallery_6274_1000_761388.jpg

gallery_6274_1000_10366.jpg

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I don't really know where to start. Thanks - Tim

Hey Tim,

Nice job on the videos and showing us all what fun looks like.

Regarding your stove, my first thought is the valve on the right might be the problem, just a guess. I don’t know what the fix is necessarily. You might try blowing the manifold and tubes out with compressed air, as perhaps it might be debris of some sort affecting gas/ air mixture as a second possibility.

If I were in Colorado still, I have the same size stove out of a tent trailer in excellent condition you could swap out. If you don’t get it resolved and I come over to Colorado for a visit sometime soon I could let you know.

Poky

Back
Top Bottom