84 Fleet - 09 Tacoma - Project

Hi, Tim...

The yellow flame indicates an improper gas/air mixture. It's burning way too rich (i.e., not getting enough air).

The rectangular orifices we see in the metal tubes in your photos are the air intakes. You could look there for an obvious obstruction (like a spider nest) and perhaps clear it with a blast of air but it's probably better to just pull the assembly so you can check the tube and clean it thoroughly.

The cleaning is an easy process in concept but of course it's always possible to run into a rusted screw or something that makes it harder than it should be.

Here's The Willful Wanderer's very nice video of the process on a different-brand stove....

And here's one showing the process on a newer Atwood....

PokyBro said:
Hey Tim,

Nice job on the videos and showing us all what fun looks like.

Regarding your stove, my first thought is the valve on the right might be the problem, just a guess. I don’t know what the fix is necessarily. You might try blowing the manifold and tubes out with compressed air, as perhaps it might be debris of some sort affecting gas/ air mixture as a second possibility.

If I were in Colorado still, I have the same size stove out of a tent trailer in excellent condition you could swap out. If you don’t get it resolved and I come over to Colorado for a visit sometime soon I could let you know.

Poky
Poky, Great to hear from you. You are always so kind with generous offers. I think I should be able to troubleshoot it well enough. Hope all is well with you a bit farther west.

Old Crow said:
Hi, Tim...

The yellow flame indicates an improper gas/air mixture. It's burning way too rich (i.e., not getting enough air).

The rectangular orifices we see in the metal tubes in your photos are the air intakes. You could look there for an obvious obstruction (like a spider nest) and perhaps clear it with a blast of air but it's probably better to just pull the assembly so you can check the tube and clean it thoroughly.

The cleaning is an easy process in concept but of course it's always possible to run into a rusted screw or something that makes it harder than it should be.
This looks very promising thanks for explaining it to me. This is why I love this community so much, within 12 hours I have the perfect piece of info. I'll report back tonight if I get it fixed. Thanks all!

And here is a quick photo of the galley last night. Sink is not installed yet, just set it in place for the photo. Really happy with how it looks. Full video coming soon.
18998-img-5619
gallery_6274_1000_993392.jpg

18998-img-5619

If you haven't already, I'd suggest you subscribe to my youtube channel. i think you'll enjoy the next batch of content! http://subscribe.tgmorrissey.com

Tim, very nice FWC build and truck. I first found out about your camper build through youtube. I recently purchased a 1984 FWC as well in fair/good shape that I will being using a few times then hoping to perform a complete gut and rebuild as you did to your camper. Thank you for your time and inspiration in the post and videos.

JohnTaco said:
Tim, very nice FWC build and truck. I first found out about your camper build through youtube. I recently purchased a 1984 FWC as well in fair/good shape that I will being using a few times then hoping to perform a complete gut and rebuild as you did to your camper. Thank you for your time and inspiration in the post and videos.
Awesome! Glad you found my videos and that pushed you over to this site. WTW has been invaluable to my build.

I am nearly done with my camper now and have a few videos of backlog to put out still.

Best of luck with your build and let me know if you have any questions. - Tim

The Galley!!

it had a been a long time coming and it is far from done. But having the counter top is pretty awesome! Check the video:

I swear the next camper I build is going to go so much faster :)

One more question Tim..

We have the headliner installed and probably installing canvas this weekend.. so scared..

Where did you cut the headliner? as in, did it run along the outside of the metal and tuck under, or did you cut it flush so you could hang the canvas on the outside edge with the HH66..

Hope that makes sense.. Thx in advance..

BBZ said:
One more question Tim..

We have the headliner installed and probably installing canvas this weekend.. so scared..

Where did you cut the headliner? as in, did it run along the outside of the metal and tuck under, or did you cut it flush so you could hang the canvas on the outside edge with the HH66..

Hope that makes sense.. Thx in advance..
I was scared too! You've got this!!!

Are you talking at the top (roof) or the bottom (camper frame)? If you check the video at 8:15

https://youtu.be/YumX0jrEBQg?list=PLtjO8brHhA52xWaeu4z1lcdbIcueVNiJG&t=497

you see me cutting the bottom of the canvas after I tucked the canvas under the metal trim. Does that make sense? Let me know if not.

Keep up the good work!

Living The Dream said:
I was scared too! You've got this!!!

Are you talking at the top (roof) or the bottom (camper frame)? If you check the video at 8:15

https://youtu.be/YumX0jrEBQg?list=PLtjO8brHhA52xWaeu4z1lcdbIcueVNiJG&t=497

you see me cutting the bottom of the canvas after I tucked the canvas under the metal trim. Does that make sense? Let me know if not.

Keep up the good work!
Hey..
Roof top, but the actually headliner fabric I am trying to figure out what to do with.. Do you cut it flush or wrap around to the outside?

Not sure about Tim's build, but I tucked my headliner up under the roof metal and also tucked the side canvas up under the metal. My original side canvas was on the outside of the roof metal and just the trim sealed it off. I followed Poky's build.

Ohh, got ya. Sorry misunderstood the questions.

Yes I did what shell did. Wrap the headliner over the aluminum tubing. Here in this phot you can see the headlinear trimmed but not yet folded over and glued down. Then it was the canvas under that and finally the aluminum roof wrapped over everything. Seems to be working well for me. Let me know if you have any other Qs.

gallery_6274_1000_2099912.jpg

I am pretty happy with the Mr. Buddy Big Buddy for my camper. I can get it up to 70 in the camper in the winter months. There is some condensation, but nothing I can't deal with.

Having the propane system plumped with neat hoses has really made the camper more functional inside. I made a video discussing the propane system and the plumbing. Check it out and have a great holiday weekend!!

A question I may have asked before but I'll still did not take action on.

I am actually having a minor water issue. In rains I will get some water in on my galley side. It is not coming in from the roof as the insulation is never wet, just on the walls and galley. Its not too bad but I know will turn into a problem if not stopped soon.

I have seen a few threads talking about weather stripping between the roof and camper when in the down position. Does anyone have a photo of this? And some links for good products? Is this a standard feature in modern campers?

Any info helps. Many thanks. - Tim

Another truck camper build day here in Colorado. Wanted to show a quick project that really made the camper feel more complete: the floor! I also put in some trim around the floor and the door. Lastly, the countertop from a few weeks ago ended up giving me some trouble
1f641.png
:( I had used the wrong glue which turned into a problem. But I fixed it!

Back
Top Bottom