ACM for roof support panel, hows it holding up?

boogieman

so, after seeing many people using acm or aluminum composite material(plastic poly something sandwiched by aluminum sheet), i decided to pick up some to do one of my panels...got them cut but waiting on proper rivets to arrive, i was playing with a piece of scrap that had been sitting in the sun and noticed how easily it bends...and stays in the bent shape..i really dont want to do this job twice and am wondering how the acm panels are holding up for people...

Not sure if there are different grades, but my ACM panels are doing fine. About how thick are your panels? Without going out and measuring them, I think mine are around .100.

aluplast is the brand i got, its 3mm just shy of 1/8"...im real hestitant to use this stuff, it doesnt seem like its got enough rigidity..ugh another $50 down the drain..

after some more research, it seems aluplast comes in 4 different grades, mostly to do with the thinkness of the aluminum sheet...i have the second from the bottom with .008" thickness..they also have .012" and .020" thick aluminum, getting more strength and rigidity..hopefully this helps someone else not throw the $ away....i imagine im in for a bit more than $50 for the thicker stuff and it sucks not being able to get a full campers worth out of a 4x8 sheet..ugh

My son works at a commercial glass business which uses ACM often. They get 4x12 sheets..Enough to do the full camper. I think I was quoted about $300 for the sheet. I got lucky and he acquired enough scrap pieces for me to make complete set for $0! I imagine the stuff I got has the .020 skin because it is very rigid.

I have yet to install my ACM panels on my camper yet. But once they were built and put the additional aluminum support pieces on, they sure seem to be quite rigid and I certainly hope they’ll do the job for many years to come.

if you guys still have any scrap that you could peel and measure the aluminum on, id appreciate it...not sure if my local can get the super thick stuff and if the .012 is holding up, maybe ill go with that...im still considering ABS, although a member discouraged it for not being structural, not so sure about that....or some full aluminum 1/8 sheet which could get expensive..

local plastics shop cant get me the more structural acm. metal shop wants $200 for a 4x6 sheet of 1/8 6061 aluminum, enough to do one side, ugh....plastics guy suggested pvc sheet. anyone try this?

boogieman said:
if you guys still have any scrap that you could peel and measure the aluminum on, id appreciate it...not sure if my local can get the super thick stuff and if the .012 is holding up, maybe ill go with that...im still considering ABS, although a member discouraged it for not being structural, not so sure about that....or some full aluminum 1/8 sheet which could get expensive..
I looked at some scrap pieces, don’t really have a way to measure the thickness. But I can tell you the aluminum is very thin. To me the vertical strength on the panels seems very strong, and that is what’s most important when using it as we are. The additional aluminum supports give it the strength to stay vertical and not bend. The thin wood that was originally used would have the same issues, and I feel confident it’s stronger than the original wood panels that FWC used to use. I know that’s not a very scientific answer, but I’m really not concerned with the strength of my ACP lift panels the way I built them. I feel like they hold up for a very long time.
Look on eBay for the material, it’s hard to find a 4x8 sheet, but if you email some of the sellers on there they usually have it available. That’s what I did, except I ordered a 4x10 sheet, can’t remember what I paid but it was less than $300 shipped.

Wyo1 you make some good points, im gonna try this stuff, its already paid for and cut...good thing is it wont splinter or rip off the hinges(i hope) and if it bends it can be bent back...ill check back in with my results

well after all that worry, wyo1 you were right, the .008" skin panels seem very strong and stiff when all assembled, not a super fun job but im happy with the results and sure itll last the life of the camper. the aluplast hr i used is about $50 for a 4x8 sheet so pretty reasonable..

boogieman said:
well after all that worry, wyo1 you were right, the .008" skin panels seem very strong and stiff when all assembled, not a super fun job but im happy with the results and sure itll last the life of the camper. the aluplast hr i used is about $50 for a 4x8 sheet so pretty reasonable..
Glad to hear they came together well!

Back
Top Bottom