Adding a lithium Ion battery to FWC

Back from my trip. The system worked flawllessly - as long as I unplugged the solar before the battery got full. Weird way to travel, but I got my amps in every day.

Ok so I am giving up on Bioenno power. I am not sure if it just my system or a problem on their end. At this point I have purchased two controllers and they have sent me two more (at total of four). Two of them are MPPT and two are PWM each one has the same problem - voltage spikes when battery full. I don't blame them they have been very diligent will their troubleshooting - but it just won't work.

This weekend I rewired my panels to run in series (57 volts) and hooked up the MPPT controller again - the spikes were much higher exceeding 20 volts.

I have all the Morningstar hardware on order - including remote panel, remote temp sensor and USB programmer. I hope to have it installed on Wednesday. Going with 15 amp Sunsaver MPPT controller. It is very slightly underpowered. In theory my system could make 17 amps, however in the real world I think that is really unlikely. The best I have seen is around 13. The Sunsaver can handle the input - it just won't generate power from it.

This has been an adventure for you and one I have followed since day 1. I want to do Lithiums because of the weight savings and power gain so I await the developments ahead. Good luck and thanks for a great thread!

+1
Thank you, especially, for documenting your experiences and sharing them with us. Early adoption can be trying but educational. :)

Paul

The old saying is... Pioneers take the arrows. I'm sorry this didn't work the way you wanted, but we all learned, and it won't be long until this is the de facto standard.

I have the Morningstar hardware installed and running - so far so go.

I have NOT been able to program the controller yet because the USB connector is coming from a different vendor and they could not ship due to "tornados" (seriously they called to tell me this). The connector should arrive on Friday and I will program the system then.

I have verified that the Morningstar controller works, providing 11 amps on a cloudy day at noon. The controller charged the battery from 90 to 97 in just about an hour today - at that point I disconnected everything to prevent over charging.

I will provide an update when I get the unit properly programmed.

This evening I ran the Morningstar controller until the battery was full. No issues and the Controller stopped charging like it should. Once I have it programmed not to provide a float or equalization charge everything should be ok.

Got the morningstar in and programmed.

No Equalize
No Float
No Temp compensation
14.5 volts Charging voltage (Starkpower recommends 14.6).

Works like a champ. Charged right up to 14.5 and shut off - no problems.

Camping this weekend in Blackrock.

cdbrow1 said:
This evening I ran the Morningstar controller until the battery was full. No issues and the Controller stopped charging like it should. Once I have it programmed not to provide a float or equalization charge everything should be ok.
Great! Sounds like you've nailed it!

longhorn1 said:
Quite a journey. Congrats.
Yeah. The take away is "don't try the cheap option" when dealing with LiFePo4. The Morningstar controllers are not cheap and I don't need most of the features so I thought I could find a cheaper route.

For my next trick........

I am seriously considering adding a second Alternator that would be dedicated to the camper. That way there would be no interconnection between the lead acid and LiFePo4 batteries. Since they have different resting voltages this results in a lot of discharge anytime they are linked.

Adding a second alternator to the Duramax is REALLY easy since they can come from the factory that way. It is just a bracket an alternator and a belt. Plus you can get one with an adjustable external regulator.

If I do that the only time I would link the systems is if I need to do any serious winching or had a failure of the stock alternator (god forbid).

Of course this is just playing around at this point - not required to make the system work.

Just got back from an overnight to Sheldon National Antelope Refuge in N.W. Nevada. Solar worked great. Still saw a few smaller power spikes - upto 15.00 volts. But I think that is probably within the allowable tolerance. As usual I hammered the system as hard as I could and was down to 64% this morning at 7:00. Fully charged by 12:30.

Happy camper.

cdbrow1 said:
Just got back from an overnight to Sheldon National Antelope Refuge in N.W. Nevada. Solar worked great. Still saw a few smaller power spikes - upto 15.00 volts. But I think that is probably within the allowable tolerance. As usual I hammered the system as hard as I could and was down to 64% this morning at 7:00. Fully charged by 12:30.

Happy camper.
Glad to hear that things went well! Did you get up to Virgin Valley?

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Glad to hear that things went well! Did you get up to Virgin Valley?
Nope. Ran out of daylight and energy so I stayed at Gooch Springs (just me and some deer). Maybe I will make it to Virgin later in the year.

Had a nice long chat with my battery vendor. Thier verdict the voltage spikes are the BMS being triggered. The BMS will disconnect at 14.8 and cycle back on at 14.2. So as the solar controller cycles at "full" (14.4 in my setup) the BMS senses a spike and shut off - this drops the voltage and so the controller switches back on - which makes the BMS shut off......etc.

The solution is to drop the charging voltage further. He suggested 14.2 as a first attempt. He also said that there really is not much energy being stored between 13.8 and 14.6 - this fits my observations once 13.8 is reach the voltage climbs to 14.4 really quick. The fall back is to charge to 13.8. He also said that my observation of the LifePo4 battery discharging to the lead acid batteries is normal behavior and it is not harmful, but they recommend a disconnect between the two for long term storage (which I have installed.)

He also concurs with no float or equalize - which is what I expected. The best charging profile is to get to get the battery full and stop all voltage input - which fits everything I have been told.

Also he said due to the BMS it is possible to add a second battery if I want to at a future date - without it having to be the same age. Not sure if I really want 200 amp hours, but it is nice to know I have the option.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Great! Sounds like you've nailed it!

PaulT said:
Congratulations!
Now the big question. :) What are you going to do with all that free time?

Paul
Thanks for all your documentation of your efforts. I figure by the time I get around to lithium ion batteries you will have a lot of long term data and suggestions ready, and I thank you! :)

ski3pin said:
Thanks for all your documentation of your efforts. I figure by the time I get around to lithium ion batteries you will have a lot of long term data and suggestions ready, and I thank you! :)
x2!

cdbrow1 said:
Nope. Ran out of daylight and energy so I stayed at Gooch Springs (just me and some deer). Maybe I will make it to Virgin later in the year.
I thought that sounded familiar... I was looking through the archives today and found this...

Apologies for the hijack!!!

Gooch_Spring_DSC5599.jpg

Back
Top Bottom