Advice needed for insurance claim

t92024

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:28694]
Hello all!

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4 CTD Laramie with factory Air Ride. My camper is a 2016 Lance 825.

A few weeks ago (July 17, 2018), my truck was rear-ended and rendered my tailgate inoperable.

The other driver accepted full liability and State Farm has been good so far with communications.

The truck still drove, but the insurance company accepted "loss of use" as of July 17, since I use the vehicle for work (Real Estate and flipping homes).

They could not find me a replacement rental due to limited availability of rental cars, and no heavy duty trucks were available to be rented. Therefore, they are going to reimburse me for whatever the cost of a suitable rental vehicle would have been for loss of use during the time my truck was out of commission (July 17 until I get it back).

I had the damage inspected by Caliber Collision and dropped the truck off when they had the parts in stock to replace (July 30).

They said it would not take very long to make the repairs, but they would give me a more thorough estimate and timeframe once they took it all apart.

By August 1, they call me to tell me that the frame is tweaked 30mm and will need to be put on the frame machine. However they would not have the proper calibrations downloaded until August 6.

Well, we had a camping trip planned August 3-6 but that obviously had to get canceled due to no truck. Furthermore, I can't exactly take a rental vehicle and install my TorkLift brackets and wire harness for the camper.

So what I am trying to determine is the following:

1. How would you quantify loss of use for this purpose? We did not have any campsite reservations since we boondock on BLM and USFS land, and I cannot find comparable vehicles to rent, if even for value. We flat-tow a Jeep Wrangler as well.

2. For my diminished value claim, how much would the accident with frame damage effect the value of a 1 ton truck? Right now, I am getting trade-in values between $45k and $48k, and private party values between $50k and $52k.

Thanks!

Happy Camping!

Will the truck be safe to haul a heavy camper and tow your jeep after the frame repair?

Back
Top Bottom