Air bag and tire pressure

ottorogers said:
What I find very interesting is my truck is a TRT 4 x 4 off-road, and yet my shocks are black, so that means I have the standard shocks? Image1513979307.815893.jpg Image1513979341.802259.jpg
Yes, those are the standard shocks.

Did you buy this truck used by chance?

Only reason I ask, the gray TRD decals aren’t stock. They are red and black on the white trucks.

Maybe the previous ownded just put the decals on?

So Cal Adventurer said:
Yes, those are the standard shocks.

Did you buy this truck used by chance?

Only reason I ask, the gray TRD decals aren’t stock. They are red and black on the white trucks.

Maybe the previous ownded just put the decals on?
in Canada all TRD off-road are the same as mine, and the original dealer sticker states TRD package, why I got standard shocks is a mystery

ottorogers said:
in Canada all TRD off-road are the same as mine, and the original dealer sticker states TRD package, why I got standard shocks is a mystery
Interesting... I bought mine new, TRD, and mine had the nice shocks but none of the TRD skidplates like my friend got with his. Weird

Here is what I decided, I’m getting a 46 gallon gas tank, which adds 20 extra gallons of gas and 120 LBS, so I’m adding 1 leaf spring, 5100 bilstein shocks at the rear, I should not need to rely on the air bags as much then and the ride should improve with the 1500 lb camper installed, I sure hope anyway

I'll just throw a small wrench in here that MAY explain some sway issue, though I have no experience with Tundras. My '08 Dodge 3500 has Ride Rite bags than mount between the axle and where the factory bump stop used to be. Inside the frame rails...A necessity due to the vehicle design of frame width vs body width. This "narrow" mounting seems to make the vehicle "sway" (read rock side to side) more so than my old '93 Dodge where the bags were mounted outside the frame rail. With that truck I ran a 3000 lb Six Pac cabover that was quite stable with the air bags inflated, where as my current truck rolls much more significantly with my 15-1800 lb ATC Cougar. Tires were essentially the same, air bag pressures also. Only difference I can conclude is the location of the air bags. Just a couple of pennies of thought....

wcorbett said:
I'll just throw a small wrench in here that MAY explain some sway issue, though I have no experience with Tundras. My '08 Dodge 3500 has Ride Rite bags than mount between the axle and where the factory bump stop used to be. Inside the frame rails...A necessity due to the vehicle design of frame width vs body width. This "narrow" mounting seems to make the vehicle "sway" (read rock side to side) more so than my old '93 Dodge where the bags were mounted outside the frame rail. With that truck I ran a 3000 lb Six Pac cabover that was quite stable with the air bags inflated, where as my current truck rolls much more significantly with my 15-1800 lb ATC Cougar. Tires were essentially the same, air bag pressures also. Only difference I can conclude is the location of the air bags. Just a couple of pennies of thought....
in a Tundra the airbags are out towards the tires, not at all “inner” mounted, Tundra is well known fir a soft suspension so I’m hoping adding an extra leaf and very good shocks will do the trick!!! I sure hope so, I will have spent a lot to get this right!!! I am a bit worried about adding the extra 20 gallons of fuel capacity, and the extra 120 lbs when the tank is full

ottorogers said:
in a Tundra the airbags are out towards the tires, not at all “inner” mounted, Tundra is well known fir a soft suspension so I’m hoping adding an extra leaf and very good shocks will do the trick!!! I sure hope so, I will have spent a lot to get this right!!! I am a bit worried about adding the extra 20 gallons of fuel capacity, and the extra 120 lbs when the tank is full
Extra Leaf + Aribags will help a bunch.

Shocks will have minimal effect on sway though.

So Cal Adventurer said:
Extra Leaf + Aribags will help a bunch.

Shocks will have minimal effect on sway though.
funny, other people have told me the shocks will make a big difference, I’ve got the standard basic tundra shocks on mine, and they are notorious apparently for not being very good when you put a load in the back, and I have around 2000 pounds in the back, I know I’m overweight, the Bilstrin 5100s should make a difference I would think

ottorogers said:
funny, other people have told me the shocks will make a big difference, I’ve got the standard basic tundra shocks on mine, and they are notorious apparently for not being very good when you put a load in the back, and I have around 2000 pounds in the back, I know I’m overweight, the Bilstrin 5100s should make a difference I would think
Im not for internet arguing but I get bummed out when people spread bogus info.

The 5100s will barely be better than stock. With that much weight, you need a reservoir shock to cool the oil.

Don’t believe me? Go drive 5 miles down a fireroad and touch your shock, it will be hot to the touch.

Basic shock or not, there isn’t enough oil volume to cool it with that much weight. Unless it’s a reservoir style, even a “better” shock will still have the same issues with heat.

I’ve already added my two cents above so I won’t beat a dead horse here.. :)

So Cal Adventurer said:
Im not for internet arguing but I get bummed out when people spread bogus info.

The 5100s will barely be better than stock. With that much weight, you need a reservoir shock to cool the oil.

Don’t believe me? Go drive 5 miles down a fireroad and touch your shock, it will be hot to the touch.

Basic shock or not, there isn’t enough oil volume to cool it with that much weight. Unless it’s a reservoir style, even a “better” shock will still have the same issues with heat.

I’ve already added my two cents above so I won’t beat a dead horse here.. :)
very much appreciate your comments, valuable information that makes good sense

I was hoping one extra leaf may make a big difference, reducing the load on the airbags and shocks, 2 leafs would be better but the ride will be very “harsh” when the truck is empty (I’m guessing)

So Cal Adventurer said:
The 5100s have much higher compression damping, and they are mono tube rather than twin tube so they will cool better.

The OPs problem is sway. He never said anything about his shocks overheating on washboard (or even driving on washboard). By far the best solution for washboard is airing down anyway. No shock is able to provide much damping with such a small excursion, and as I mentioned earlier the oil will not mix in your reservoir with such a small excursion. If you are hitting sizable bumps as well, then it will make a difference.

I think if we took a poll we'd find that the great majority of people on this board do not use reservoir shocks.

The Bilstein 5160s aren't that expensive (~$300/pr vs $160/pr for 5100s). Damping is reportedly the same, the 5160s just have an added reservoir. One weird thing I noticed is that they only have a 90 day warranty, vs lifetime for the 5100s. I wouldn't count on the lifetime warranty (it can be denied for offroad use), but 90 days is really weak. And I know people who've had failures shortly after that and were SOL.

I just took a look at your build thread and you have OME struts on the front, which do not have reservoirs. If you think reservoirs are necessary, wouldn't you want them on the front as well?

rruff said:
I just took a look at your build thread and you have OME struts on the front, which do not have reservoirs. If you think reservoirs are necessary, wouldn't you want them on the front as well?
Yes sir.. OME is currently developing Resevoirs for the Tundra and I’m waiting for them to be released and installing them as soon as they are.

The front of my truck is basically stock weight. I’m waiting to install my winch until they are released. At that time I’ll also go up a spring rate.

The rear is +900lbs, they were an immediate need for the rear. Not immediate need in the front. Patiently waiting though.

I always welcome folks to drive my trucks at speed on washboards. I enjoy seeing their reactions. :)

Back
Top Bottom