Air bag and tire pressure

So Cal Adventurer said:
Yes sir.. OME is currently developing Resevoirs for the Tundra and I’m waiting for them to be released and installing them as soon as they are.
When will those OMEs be available? Any links to their specs and price?

If shock overheating is the problem, then you need reservoirs on the front as much as the rear. The heat generation is caused by the degree of shock excursion and frequency and the damping it provides. Weight doesn't increase heat generation (with the same shocks), but higher weight means you'd want greater damping (better shocks).

I we are serious about this we need to get 2.5" reservoir shocks with adjustable damping and custom valving for our load. I don't think I'm serious enough to spend $3k though.... :oops:

rruff said:

If shock overheating is the problem, then you need reservoirs on the front as much as the rear. The heat generation is caused by the degree of shock excursion and frequency and the damping it provides. Weight doesn't increase heat generation (with the same shocks), but higher weight means you'd want greater damping (better shocks).

I we are serious about this we need to get 2.5" reservoir shocks with adjustable damping and custom valving for our load. I don't think I'm serious enough to spend $3k though.... :oops:
The OME Are already available for a bunch of models. Just not the Tundra yet. Supposedly by end of year.

They are about $500 a piece:

Example:
http://store.arbusa.com/OME-BP-51-BYPASS-SHOCK-TOYOTA-FJ-CRUISER-REAR-BP5160002-P22874C85.aspx

I’m on several Toyota forums and several reports of folks with bone stock TRDs blowing their guts out on washboards with the TRD Bilstein.

A good friend of mine blew his out on Racetrack road in Death Valley. Bone stock brand new truck other than TRD package with the yellows.

I’ve owned/built probably 15 different Toyota’s and raced an 80 series LC in the Baja1k.

Toyota’s have always been known for bad brakes and shocks. Easy fix but not cheap unfortunately

rruff said:

$200 for Bilstien 5100 installed, that’s as much as I will spend

ottorogers said:
Here is what I decided, I’m getting a 46 gallon gas tank, which adds 20 extra gallons of gas and 120 LBS, so I’m adding 1 leaf spring, 5100 bilstein shocks at the rear, I should not need to rely on the air bags as much then and the ride should improve with the 1500 lb camper installed, I sure hope anyway
If you separate the airbags, you will find you probably don't need to change anything

MattC said:
If you separate the airbags, you will find you probably don't need to change anything
i called a spring shop, they said air can not move that fast between airbags to make much of a difference in swaying around, they said shocks were more important, as I have the very basic Toyota shocks???? It’s so difficult to know what to do

ottorogers said:
i called a spring shop, they said air can not move that fast between airbags to make much of a difference in swaying around, they said shocks were more important, as I have the very basic Toyota shocks???? It’s so difficult to know what to do
Whoever you talked to at that shop is 100% clueless

MattC said:
you don’t feel adding an extra leaf spring will help, I’m at about 2,000 to 2100 lbs with the new 46 gallon fuel tank (when it’s full), with my camper in the back, fully loaded, I know I’m over weight, my truck as configured says 1800 lbs payload

ottorogers said:
what do you think about an extra leaf spring, I’m adding 46 gallon tank, 120 lbs extra gas???
The airbags will have no problem supporting the weight. You *may* get better suspension performance by having the springs carry more load, but it isn't necessary, and probably won't reduce sway.

ottorogers said:
you don’t feel adding an extra leaf spring will help, I’m at about 2,000 to 2100 lbs with the new 46 gallon fuel tank (when it’s full), with my camper in the back, fully loaded, I know I’m over weight, my truck as configured says 1800 lbs payload
Click my link to my build. I also have the 46 gallon tank

rruff said:
Which tires specifically? 40 psi might be a little low.

If your airbags are joined together, that might be the culprit. If the truck wants to tilt, air will flow out of the one being compressed and into the one being extended.
General Grabber X3 rated st 80 PSI MAX

There is a chance your shocks are shot.
take them off, and check to see if they are still working ok.
That's pretty easy, and free.

Most importantly, separate the airbags, and go from there.

MattC said:
There is a chance your shocks are shot.
take them off, and check to see if they are still working ok.
That's pretty easy, and free.

Most importantly, separate the airbags, and go from there.
I’m still going to add the extra leaf spring, because I’m adding 120 pounds extra in fuel wait, so I think that’s prudent

Back
Top Bottom