Air Bag Question Again

robbie

I know there is a post in here re airbags. I did a quick look but did not find it.
We are taking our Tacoma up to Whitehorse next week to have airbags installed.
What brand, model has anyone used in a similar application?
We carry a "Fleet"

Thanks Robbie

I think most on here use the Firestone Ride-Rite, including myself. There are probably better bags available but for the cost & availability Firestones are hard to beat.

I know there is a post in here re airbags. I did a quick look but did not find it.
We are taking our Tacoma up to Whitehorse next week to have airbags installed.
What brand, model has anyone used in a similar application?
We carry a "Fleet"

Thanks Robbie

As stated, Ride Rites are very commonly used. The cost of $265.00 at suspesionconection.com while on sale, and the ease of instaling them myself made them a great value. They are a piece of cake to intall yourself, no drilling, just bolt them onto the leaf spring connections. I think you will be very satisfied.

Good Luck, and happy camping.

Paul

A few months ago, I bought the Pacbrake brand as they look substantially better made. I was impressed when I installed them. They've worked well so far. At the time, I found them online for the same price of $240 that I found the Firestones. They've since gone up to $270. I bought it from Diesel-Max but I see they only sell them for Dodges. He was a great guy to deal with.

I guess this doesn't help with the OP's truck, though, but just thought I'd throw it out there to make Fisherman smile. :D

-steve

I'm looking for a set of these for my 2004 Tundra DC. Has anyone here installed (any brand) airbags on their 1st Gen Tundra Toy? Is drilling required?

The supersprings cut it for all needs except "fully loaded". (full water tank..full gas tank..fully packed) If they were 3" shorter they'd work far better...but when fully loaded they smack the frame on compression at their current length.

any insight is appreciated.

mtn

I'm looking for a set of these for my 2004 Tundra DC. Has anyone here installed (any brand) airbags on their 1st Gen Tundra Toy? Is drilling required?

If you look up your rig on the ride rite page it'll say right there whether drilling is required or not and you can download the install manual if you want to check it out as well. My ram didn't require drilling and it was only a couple hours to install and have the tires back on working at a mellow pace.

Kudos to Dodge for setting up your vehicle to easily accept these airbags. From the install manual it looks like your bolts were in place/welded in @ the factory and all you had to do was stick em on there and tighten 'em down.

not so with the tundra as it appears that 4 holes need to be drilled on each side.

well...darn :(

Ride Rights and supersprings on Tacoma

My 2005 Tacoma has Supersprings and Ride rights installed. With just the Super springs I found that I bottomed out on the frame often. You have to modify the Ride Right mounts some in order to fit them over the Supersprings. Not too difficult a mod. I was able to install the bags in about 2 hours. With the camper loaded it is a great combination. No bottoming much less roll. Without the the camper, the ride is harsher even with the Supersprings backed off and only 5lbs of air in the bags. Bearable but rougher. No other problems.

Kudos to Dodge for setting up your vehicle to easily accept these airbags. From the install manual it looks like your bolts were in place/welded in @ the factory and all you had to do was stick em on there and tighten 'em down.

not so with the tundra as it appears that 4 holes need to be drilled on each side.

well...darn :(

Yeah it was cake for a driveway tinkerer. Bummer on the drilling, have a mechanic contact that needs a golden you could trade with? ;)

air bags

Robbie: I installed Firestone Ride Rites on a Tacoma and posted photos
on the Trucks and Accessories forum. -Blutaco

It isn't so much the "job", pods...it's that I'm not all that keen on drilling holes in this frame. (definitely a weak link on the truck)

I saw that Colorado guy had Timbrens on his rig before the accident...does anyone else have any experience with these? I'm interested because there's no drilling...but I haven't really heard any other feedback on them.

sorry to hijack yer thread robbie

mtn

I ordered air bags yesterday. Don't know what ia m getting. Called a friend in Whitehorse 300 miles up the road. He owns a national chain tire shop. does great mechanical work too. Told him I wanted air bags for my Toyota and he e mailed and said air bags are on the way see you next week to have them installed. So next Friday I will get my Tacoma undercoated and the air bags instsalled.
robbie

I'm looking for a set of these for my 2004 Tundra DC. Has anyone here installed (any brand) airbags on their 1st Gen Tundra Toy?

I have Firestone Ride Rites installed on my 06 Tundra. I think I ended up paying the shop $150 to install. They make an amazing difference in handling. The wife loves them because now she doesn't feel like she needs to wear a sports bra when riding in the truck :D.

The wife loves them because now she doesn't feel like she needs to wear a sports bra when riding in the truck :D.

Is this a positive or negative for you? :p

It isn't so much the "job", pods...it's that I'm not all that keen on drilling holes in this frame. (definitely a weak link on the truck)

I saw that Colorado guy had Timbrens on his rig before the accident...does anyone else have any experience with these? I'm interested because there's no drilling...but I haven't really heard any other feedback on them.

sorry to hijack yer thread robbie

mtn

Mtnhigh

The only ones I found that were no drill were pacbrake. They are single convoluted and I was concerened about them limiting articulation. The bumpstop has to be removed(they show how to hacksaw them off) as they sit right over the axel, but no drilling the frame. Very detailed instructions are on their site.

I went with Airlift as my mechanic has them on his doublecab and he was a factoy trained toyota tech and service manager. He called airlift and they told him the bag will stretch 4 inches (!) in length when properly inflated. So I think they will be ok atriculation wise on my 05 tundra access cab.

They Do squeak on speedbumps. The way they attach to the leaf causes it.

Happy so far. Running 95 psi on the drivers side:eek:

S

Hey all.

I called the "local" (45 miles) dealer who carries Air-lift & Timbren (and who can also get/install pac and ride rites) and told him my set up and he recommended the Timbrens for my Tundra.

I have to take the superspring off...so the drive over the pass on Monday on just the factory suspension and the return trip with the timbrens installed should offer a decent comparison between the two in a short period of time.
(I'm pretty sure the wife doesn't have a sports bra...so I guess we'll have to come up with some other measure of comparison:D)

thanks for the ideas/rec's, folks!

mtn

Ha.... or a "manzier"

I installed Firestones on my Tundra last week (2nd gen). Those things are engineered VERY well. They have built in offsets (the leaf springs aren't exactly parallel to the frame members), pre-drilled holes to clear existing rivets and extension brackets for the fuel pump module (it needs to move out a couple of inches). All in all it took me 2 1/2 hours and no drilling...except I did take someone's advice in here about locating the valves in the gas cap cover...genius..That was two holes to drill.

Back
Top Bottom