Air bags, yes or no?

telebrewer

Advanced Member
I have a '97 Dodge 2500. I've had Air-Lift air bags under it for about 9 years. They were originally put in for a heavier and taller camper. A Callen.

Well, I just got back from Baja and during the trip, one side busted the brackets off and bolts broke and air bag does not hold air anymore. So I removed it and travelled the rest of the trip really not noticing a difference.

Do you really think I need to replace it. It's just something to break again. The stock suspension is pretty heavy duty.

Thanks

"During the trip, one side busted the brackets off and bolts broke and air bag does not hold air anymore."

This is not the first time something like this has been reported here. One of the folks also had an Air Bag incident in Baja and his frame broke as well. I too have a Ram 2500 and my camper is a Cougar, the largest ATC. I have absolutely no suspension mods and absolutely no need for them. It's a 3/4 ton!

.....removed it and travelled the rest of the trip really not noticing a difference.

I'd definitely try going without on your 3/4.

I know on mine I have no need for any suspension enhancements. If after awhile you feel you need some more support I would first look at: http://www.timbren.com. No first hand experience but I like the idea of no air problems, lower price and great reviews.

Here is a thread on the Cummins Forum: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-09-3rd-gen-6-7l-non-powertrain/150661-timbren-overload-rubbers.html

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. The other side is missing a bolt and the others are rusted and are going to fail sooner or later.

One less thing to break, I'll be going airbag less.

This is my first post, interested in topic since I'm heading for Baja in a few days, for camping and whale watching and I just had a Callen camper installed on my shortbed (6') ext. cab truck that had previously been lifted about 3 inches. I had them add airbags both to soften the overall ride (it has very stiff suspension) and help adjust for the added weight of the metal frame Callen camper (over cab-high) plus all the gear we'll carry.

The ride home after the install was much more comfortable. Smoother overall, esp over bumps, felt much better even with a few hundred extra pounds of camper on the back. (I don't actually know the exact weight since I bought this second hand- anyone know?)

The standard install for these airbags called for bolts on the frame, but they welded them onto the frame instead. I'm not planning to do anything extreme on this trip- this is my first trip in this rig so it's a shakedown cruise. But it will be interesting to see how the welds hold up.

Went to get a new spare today, and as I walked in I noticed one of the employees was giving the truck a thorough checkout as I placed the order. He told me he is planning a similar lift and was very curious about the airbags. So am I.

I'll report back after bouncing out to San Ignacio lagoon in a few days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 171
Welcome to the forum! I don't know much about Callen campers - would love to see some more pics of yours. Over on Expedition Portal there's a thread where weights from 500 to 800 pounds are mentioned.

Hope you will share your Baja pics, too!

When the welds break you might have wished you had chosen the bolts. At least you can replace them when they break. Good luck and please send us a trip report when you get back. There are more whales than ever in the lagoons. Or course I mean after Scammon and others almost killed them all.Welcome to the forum! I don't know much about Callen campers - would love to see some more pics of yours. Over on Expedition Portal there's a thread where weights from 500 to 800 pounds are mentioned.

Hope you will share your Baja pics, too!

This is my first post, interested in topic since I'm heading for Baja in a few days, for camping and whale watching and I just had a Callen camper installed on my shortbed (6') ext. cab truck that had previously been lifted about 3 inches. I had them add airbags both to soften the overall ride (it has very stiff suspension) and help adjust for the added weight of the metal frame Callen camper (over cab-high) plus all the gear we'll carry.

The ride home after the install was much more comfortable. Smoother overall, esp over bumps, felt much better even with a few hundred extra pounds of camper on the back. (I don't actually know the exact weight since I bought this second hand- anyone know?)

The standard install for these airbags called for bolts on the frame, but they welded them onto the frame instead. I'm not planning to do anything extreme on this trip- this is my first trip in this rig so it's a shakedown cruise. But it will be interesting to see how the welds hold up.

Went to get a new spare today, and as I walked in I noticed one of the employees was giving the truck a thorough checkout as I placed the order. He told me he is planning a similar lift and was very curious about the airbags. So am I.

I'll report back after bouncing out to San Ignacio lagoon in a few days.

Sadly, the road to San Ignacio is mostly paved and what is still dirt is about 500% better than what it used to be. In fact, Baja is being paved so quickly right now you have to go out of your way to find dirt.

Gene's right about the road to Gonzaga except that as of 1/13/13 the pavement is now 3 miles from the Pemex in Gonzaga. It was 12 miles from Gonzaga when we were there last spring.

Gene's right about the road to Gonzaga except that as of 1/13/13 the pavement is now 3 miles from the Pemex in Gonzaga. It was 12 miles from Gonzaga when we were there last spring.

True and too bad. We bought a little house in the south end of Gonzaga. The pavement has come to a stop for now at the bridge. We talked to a survey crew and they said in two years, Hwy 5 will meet Hwy 1. One of our favorite roads is Coco's to Chapala. We just need to be there ASAP before it's all paved.

And yes, we could not believe the road into Scammons was paved part way since last year. We got in there in no time.

Bad roads=good people
Good roads=everybody.

Off to remove my remaining airbag. Baja will chew them up.

Just realized I did not come back and post updates. The 2013 Baja whale watching trip went well, and I also went to both Ojo de Liebre (Scammons) and San Ignacio in January 2014. It was too early to touch many whales- I plan to return later this year.

The truck continues to perform well, tho the mileage is not where I'd like, probably due to wind resistance of over-cab shell. I have installed a basic platform and storage, and while comfortable, every time I use it (not as often as I'd like) I imagine modifying the storage, adding a cooking shelf inside etc.

For those considering trips south to see whales and/or beautiful Baja, here are some details that might help plan trips:

BORDER CROSSING: for stays over 7 days and/or more than 100 KM south, you need a visitors permit, called an "FMM." Purchase at border crossing immigration office. $30 US for 180 days, less for fewer days, only useful for 1 entry (not sure how they monitor this tho)

OJO DE LIEBRE: (from north) approx 450 miles south of border on Pacific side. Drive on MX1 a few miles south, past turnoff to Guerrero Negro, turn right (west) to enter the national park, which requires driving thru the private saltworks area; you need to go thru a gate and check in with Manuel, the guard, who requests your name and vehicle Information. Road is paved for the first few miles, then well maintained dirt for final 10 or so to get to lagoon where camping, bathrooms and whale tours are provided. Also a restaurant during the season (late Jan-April, approx- it was closed when I was there).

Entrance fee: $65 pesos/$5 US. Hot shower: $20 pesos/$1.50 US (to pay for gas)

SAN IGNACIO: ·(from north) town is approx 540 miles south of border on Pacific side, plus 45 miles from MX1 to actual lagoon. Yes, the paving continues. The first 20 miles of road from town of San Ignacio are paved, the final 20 are in process of being paved. Meanwhile it is very rough, and discourages some people, tho I've seen motorhomes at the lagoon; the drivers may not have done the drive if they knew what was in store. Also heavy equipment is operating every day, and can delay travel and kick up dust.

At the lagoon: many tour guides to choose from, charging from $45 US per outing on the lagoon (about 3 hours), to full packages (meals, accommodations, tours) costing $2000+/week.

If you are self contained, and don't want to spend a lot of $$, it is $10 night to camp at Kuyima, w/nice bathrooms and showers. No electricity, dump station etc: very basic, lovely setting.

If you get tired of cooking, they have a nice restaurant that offers good homemade food, beer, wine at reasonable prices ($6-$10 meal, extra for beverages). Bring your own wine/beer is OK.

I've attached smaller files from previous trips- need to reduce size of current year files before posting.

And for more details/photos of past adventures (I've been visiting lagoons since 1985) go to: www.netconnection.com/bajawhales.htmlimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back
Top Bottom