And to think, I just recovered...

ntsqd said:
Kinda reminds me of "Y2K"....
You mean the transition, where all of my three years efforts converting date routines in antiquated softwear systems came to fruition? The time that I was on the line for two days?

Nah, Y2K wasn't nearly as bad... :)

ntsqd said:
Kinda reminds me of "Y2K"....
Where I worked The Management spent a small fortune on a huge diesel generator to keep key lab equipment running when the national power grid crashed.
Sure made a nice roar when it was tested -- the only time it ever ran. :rolleyes:

Mark, I took over the lead of the Y2K project for my company (large Oregon firm) when one of my peers left to be a consultant (read, big money). I had well over a hundred people on my team, and thankfully almost all were highly competent. My co project manager (she was the secret of my success) and I took an effort that was purported to be a death march, and turned it into a program that turned out to be not only highly successful, but fun for the team. All of our systems handled the dates appropriately, with only one that gave us performance issues. That issue was caused by recursive date checks in historic records (sometimes C++ really sucks), and was cured when we removed that business requirement.

In my entire IT career, I found that effort to be the most productive. Now if we could just nail down a single time period.

For you DST foes, you may not have to move to Arizona -- it may come to Oregon, sooner or later, if either of these bills pass:

Senate Bill 99: Abolishes daylight saving time on January 1, 2021

And if you can't wait 6 years for relief, I think this one, if passed, happens this year:
Senate Bill 690: Eliminates daylight saving time adjustment to standard of time for State of Oregon

Oregon Senate public hearings Tuesday, so make your way to Salem.

I don't know...but I wonder how often similar bills are introduced and go nowhere.

Color me weird (far from the first time!), but I want DST year-round. I'm selfish that way, gives me daylight after work to get things done in. Hard to work on some projects in the dark. Yeah they make these things called "lights", trust me doing fab work under a vehicle just isn't the same or as effective nor are the results as good. Along about this time of year dark + cold is a real negative.

Now maybe if I had a shop big enough to get the vehicles inside.....

Back
Top Bottom