Any book hounds out there?

EdoHart

Grasshopper
Today I acquired what I believe to be an original copy of the "Fourth Annual Report of the United States Geological Survey to the Secretary of the Interior 1882-'83" by J. W. Powell, director (from the title page) for the staggering price of $0.50. The spine of the book says "United States Geological Survey. J.W. Powell, Director, Fourth Annual Report, 1882-1883." See the picture below of the title page. I haven't touched anything beyond the title page. The cover is a bit thread bear and the edges of the pages have a layer of dust on them.

I'll be searching the internet for the best ways to preserve a book, but if any of you have suggestions (other than to handle it only while wearing cotton gloves in order to keep my skin acid off the paper, which I already know about), I would appreciate it. I assume I should at least clean the dust off it, though the dust may be acting as a barrier to other pollutants. I would like to eventually read the book, but for now, I want ensure it doesn't disintegrate while in my care.

Attachments

• 2005-01-22 22-35-09_0015s.jpg
    2005-01-22 22-35-09_0015s.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 199
Very cool. Where did you manage to find that and for just $.50? I want one.

Sorry, I know nothing of book preservation except air and humitity are bad. Or are they good? I dunno.

Ed thats so great. A few years back I got some maritime charts that were taken from very early US Geo Survey books of Santa Barbara Channel and the Channel islands. The drawings were done by Whistler of Whistlers Mother fame. He was a student at Annapolis at the time and on his summer cruise. I also have one of his of San Pedro.

Estate sale

Very cool. Where did you manage to find that and for just $.50? I want one.

Sorry, I know nothing of book preservation except air and humitity are bad. Or are they good? I dunno.

All books where $0.50, I bought 20 because all I had was a $10 bill.

All books where $0.50, I bought 20 because all I had was a $10 bill.

Yeah, but where did you buy books for that price? A library book sale?

Hey Ed,

Funny you posted this - I happen to be a collector of old geology and mining books like the one you have there. Looks like you scored! Here's part of my collection:

Attachments

• books.jpg
    books.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 145
Hey Ed,

Funny you posted this - I happen to be a collector of old geology and mining books like the one you have there. Looks like you scored! Here's part of my collection:

I was actually thinking of you when I bought it. In time I may donate it to the DD museum of geology, but not in the immediate future, give my a year or so.:)

Back
Top Bottom