Anyone using a hitch cargo carrier ?

Ronin

Hi all,

I have a 2014 Tundra with a 2005 Hawk. I'm considering buying a 60"x20" hitch cargo carrier. What's your opinion on folding or non folding. I just want to haul a box of firewood, a gas can or 2 and weld an18" step in the center. I don't want it to stick out more than it has to past the bumper. I like the idea of the folding one but it seems to stick out further that I'd like it to. Could I drill an extra hole for the hitch pin to draw it in closer to the bumper while it's folded down? Or do these things just turn into one of those "seemed like a good idea at the time", taking up storage room in the garage?! Any brands/links you are using that are working out for you would be helpful. Thanks!!

Ronin,

We bought the RakAttack swinging hitch that opens toward the drivers side on our Grandby. We have a cargo carrier and bought the carrier bag that straps in. It zips up and keeps everything dry and clean. The RakAttack cost $350+/- and the cargo carrier and bag cost approximately $150+/-. The nice thing with the RakAttack is you can mount other things like bike racks, etc. Hope this helps. jd

I started out with one of those 60x20s, but quickly realized it was adversely affecting our truck's departure angle, and greatly hindering our ability to negotiate backroads. If you plan on doing much of that kind of travel you'll surely want to evaluate that characteristic with respect to your particular rear camper setup. We now carry our firewood in a large plastic ~ 2x2x3' rubbermaid-style 'bucket' w/ hinged top (keeps rain out while in camp), it's the last thing that goes into our camper when loading up. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I had one, but after I backed backed into a small car that I couldn't see in any of the mirrors I'd decided that it was not as good an idea as originally thought.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I had one, but after I backed backed into a small car that I couldn't see in any of the mirrors I'd decided that it was not as good an idea as originally thought.
Thanks - this is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

RicoV said:
I started out with one of those 60x20s, but quickly realized it was adversely affecting our truck's departure angle, and greatly hindering our ability to negotiate backroads. If you plan on doing much of that kind of travel you'll surely want to evaluate that characteristic with respect to your particular rear camper setup. We now carry our firewood in a large plastic ~ 2x2x3' rubbermaid-style 'bucket' w/ hinged top (keeps rain out while in camp), it's the last thing that goes into our camper when loading up. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Yeah - I definitely get in some tight spots and sometimes find myself backing up to where I can do a turn around. The extra 3 feet or so would make it a lot more difficult. Hadn't thought about that. I generally carry my firewood in a cardboard box( 2 of them) that I load in the very front so that I can get to my frig by the back door. There's also my camp chairs, an aluminum 2 step ladder and undoubtably some other gear in there too. Maybe I'm just packing too much stuff - ha !!

longhorn1 said:
Ronin,

We bought the RakAttack swinging hitch that opens toward the drivers side on our Grandby. We have a cargo carrier and bought the carrier bag that straps in. It zips up and keeps everything dry and clean. The RakAttack cost $350+/- and the cargo carrier and bag cost approximately $150+/-. The nice thing with the RakAttack is you can mount other things like bike racks, etc. Hope this helps. jd
I'll check it out. Thanks !

I have this one.

I don't actually carry anything on it though.

img_159571_0_fe9c58e590235b7723a1d7381f4ff7ed.jpg

I use it just the opposite of the Wandering Sage... as a "rear end intrusion by another vehicle" device.
Yes, I have been rear-ended (more damage to the intruder than to me, and never touched my ATC Bobcat, thankfully).
It is also my back porch when camped (the dogs like it a lot, especially if I camp where it is the sun).
With one of those short folding plastic single step stools it makes an easy "get it or get out" of the camper.
When I need a better departure angle in the rear, I just take it off, wrap it in one of the moving blankets from Harbor Freight that I take with me, stow it temporarily inside the ATC Bobcat and I can go anywhere the vehicle allows me to go.

It used to be a wheel chair or medical type scooter carrier with an electric raise/lower motor and a flip up action. I took all of that extra weight off and just got a 2" square x 3/8" wall thick tube. Super strong.

I use this technique to make it wobble free and super solid. Insert the tube, insert the locking hitch pin, then tighten the bolt at the rear end of the tube to tighten it all up.

img_159571_4_dcc776d2d8764f74fb4550f0b6a8dcb7.jpg

And, sometimes I tow a light 150 lb trailer. Tongue weight is about 30 lbs.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Steve...
Sounds like you need the backup camera mod I just posted in the backup camera thread.
Bill

Advmoto18 said:
Steve...
Sounds like you need the backup camera mod I just posted in the backup camera thread.
Bill
Not anymore... My Ranger doesn't have a system (yet :) ) I may end up putting one in. I have an extra camera for the F350 w/Northern Lite.

A few years ago I sold my Kargoholder folding/swinging rear carrier. I really wish I had kept it. I had it modified to sit about 8" higher than normal to address the departure angle issue.

click on thumbnail to enlarge

After reading this thread i was thinking about upgrading to a flip up rack so I could keep it on full time. Then I was reminded that was a bad idea for me when I put on my regular rack to get a Christmas tree. Confuses my back up sensor

Sent from my SM-G930V using Wander The West mobile app

I bought one of the flip-up cargo racks last year at Cabela's. Worked as expected in the cargo carry position (horizontal). First time I drove with it vertical, I thought my truck was coming apart. It made so much wind noise I stopped the truck to check. After that, I left it horizontal even when empty. Of course, wind flow around your truck may be different....

Alley-Kat said:
I have this one.

I don't actually carry anything on it though.

img_159647_4_fe9c58e590235b7723a1d7381f4ff7ed.jpg

I use it just the opposite of the Wandering Sage... as a "rear end intrusion by another vehicle" device.
Yes, I have been rear-ended (more damage to the intruder than to me, and never touched my ATC Bobcat, thankfully).
It is also my back porch when camped (the dogs like it a lot, especially if I camp where it is the sun).
With one of those short folding plastic single step stools it makes an easy "get it or get out" of the camper.
When I need a better departure angle in the rear, I just take it off, wrap it in one of the moving blankets from Harbor Freight that I take with me, stow it temporarily inside the ATC Bobcat and I can go anywhere the vehicle allows me to go.

It used to be a wheel chair or medical type scooter carrier with an electric raise/lower motor and a flip up action. I took all of that extra weight off and just got a 2" square x 3/8" wall thick tube. Super strong.

I use this technique to make it wobble free and super solid. Insert the tube, insert the locking hitch pin, then tighten the bolt at the rear end of the tube to tighten it all up.

img_159647_8_dcc776d2d8764f74fb4550f0b6a8dcb7.jpg

And, sometimes I tow a light 150 lb trailer. Tongue weight is about 30 lbs.
Great idea using it as a porch. Just need a shower head above and it would be a great shower platform.

Porkface said:
I bought one of the flip-up cargo racks last year at Cabela's. Worked as expected in the cargo carry position (horizontal). First time I drove with it vertical, I thought my truck was coming apart. It made so much wind noise I stopped the truck to check. After that, I left it horizontal even when empty. Of course, wind flow around your truck may be different....
Now that's something that would never have occurred to me !

OutbacKamper said:
A few years ago I sold my Kargoholder folding/swinging rear carrier. I really wish I had kept it. I had it modified to sit about 8" higher than normal to address the departure angle issue.

click on thumbnail to enlarge
Seems like a lot of folks have issues with the height being too low - looks like you solved that problem. I'm thinking about having a friend make a bumper with a swing away tire carrier, gas can holder, and hopefully hold a box of firewood. The bumper height would take care of the departure angles too. It would cost a whole heck of a lot more to fab than an out of the box cargo carrier though. I had a bumper made for my '03 Tundra that I recently sold and really liked it, but now I'm hoping to find a less expensive way to do this on my '14 Tundra. Will probably bite the bullet in the end and be happier for it.

I put a front hitch on my Frontier and use a Harbor Freight winch mount to carry gas, water, outboard motor, wood on. I did cut and weld it to raise it up to avoid approach angle issues. Cheap, simple and not a backup issue.

BillM said:
I put a front hitch on my Frontier and use a Harbor Freight winch mount to carry gas, water, outboard motor, wood on. I did cut and weld it to raise it up to avoid approach angle issues. Cheap, simple and not a backup issue.
Thanks - great idea!!

I have a hitch on the front and I carry my jack and shovel on it.

img_160361_0_0d0d30d922d7d5c95152146556755382.jpg

I went on a whitetail hunt this fall. I always take my trailer everywhere. I either have my ATV or my boat on it. Well since this trip was going to be about 1200 miles I decided to slim down a bit. I needed a way to carry back a deer without it being a pain in the hind end.
I decided to make my hitch carrier. I knew that on this trip I was going to park the truck and hunt with my friend out of his truck. So I was not worried about the carrier getting hung up while driving in the mountains. After building mine I was happy with the convenient back porch. I built mine out of light duty 2" square tubing. I gave it a 3/4" thick plywood deck. It is 60"x24". I am used to having a trailer so having something behind me is not hard for me to keep in mind. It worked great and I carried my deer home in the coolers and I had spare gas for the generator. I added lights to it for added protection from getting bumped.

img_160361_2_5ca224a03a4e1e8e88914c8fc62ff9ba.jpg

img_160361_4_dea3e7ae4669a2f0c32da093477aea2d.jpg

We too use the Rakattach.com swing-out carrier. Works great for a cargo rack or bicycle rack. Keeps things out of the way and easy to pack back up.

Back
Top Bottom